1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Found you!

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by mbgphoto79, May 11, 2017.

1. tdoak

tdoak Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    That response made me smile.

2. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    MBG,

That was quite a story. It reminded me of things I'd forgotten about my first attack. Such as how wet my face was, from my forehead sweat, eyes, nose and mouth. And how I became too weak to do anything about it or care. I probably looked like someone smashed an olive oil pie in my face. I didn't realize one's eyes could water so much. Also, when you mentioned the "backward" ride in the ambulance. Oh yes, my gosh that was awful. And mine was downhill. I felt like they were dumping my coffin in the ocean, like they do on naval ships.

One thing I'm thankful for, that you should be too...especially since you HAD been at work, was that our attack happened at home. I often imagine the hell of it happening in a mall or sporting event.

How long did your spinning last in that episode?

You should work on that retelleling. You have a way with words. Expand and refine it, and submit it to a magazine/website. Such as Boing Boing, Huffington Post, Cracked, IFLScience, Bored Panda, Deadspin, etc. I'm sure a number of health sites would be interested. Hell, submit it to a science fiction site. What we go through is alien enough.

I don't know, I just wish this disease was part of the national conversation like other ailmnets.

On a much smaller level, there's Spin Magazine. They often include reader's stories like yours.

http://www.menieres.org.uk/membership

3. mbgphoto79

mbgphoto79 Member

May 11, 2017
    Greensboro, NC
    Thanks for the vote of confidence, Pup. It would be neat to build the story, this was just what flowed out naturally. There are several things I left out. All in all I’d say the hard vertigo lasted 4-5 hours. The after effects lasted around 3 days (nausea, weakness, brain fog, etc).

Been feeling decent the last few days. I’ve tolerated my work ok and the recent snow storm was distracting in a good way. Carry on..

4. mbgphoto79

mbgphoto79 Member

May 11, 2017
    Greensboro, NC
    Hello again.

Just finished up my visits to the new doc. I’ll cut to the chase. Not only do I have MM but I also have MAV. Might seem obvious to some here but even the most obvious answers can slip right by. I was given a great report on migraines and their relationship with MM, this came from a very prestigious hospital in which the doc did her undergrad. It’s from 2014 so it’s pretty current. It basically goes over how the old idea of migraines coming from a circulatory function is incorrect. The cause is now thought to be caused by electrical disturbances in the ion channels of the brain. The circulatory response is to the disturbances themselves (forgive me if everyone already knows this).

The other interesting thing is the relationship of the trigeminal nerve and MM. sometimes this nerve will release peptides during a migraine. The peptides break down the surrounding cells causing swelling and pain. This explains the stuffy nose and head pressure of migraines. There are small branches of this nerve that travel through the inner ear. Could it be that these nerves are causing damage to the delicate components of the inner ear?

In any case, I have some new hope to latch onto and I’m going to run with it!

5. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Mbug: "Just finished up my visits to the new doc. I’ll cut to the chase. Not only do I have MM but I also have MAV."

Do you mean you probably/might/could have MAV? I didn't know a MAV diagnosis could be so definitive.

Did she put you on a Migraine med? Mine did, I forget the name. I think generic Topamax.

6. mbgphoto79

mbgphoto79 Member

May 11, 2017
    Greensboro, NC
    Based on my previous history with migraines (20 years ago) and the symptoms (light and smell sensitivity, stuffy nose, ear pain, short vertigo spells, tingling extremities, difficulty speaking) she thinks it’s a sure thing. The difficult part is differentiating between the MM and migraine symptoms when they flare up.

No new meds, just the diet right now. We will see how this goes. A lot of the things that are ok to eat with the migraine diet are high arginine and vice versa. I’m really limited now but I think I can make it work.

7. James

James ''Everywhere I go there I am'' GS

May 12, 2014
    Have you seen this thread?

http://www.menieres.org/forum/index.php/topic,29072.0.html

8. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    MBG, I know you've seen my post below before, but just linking it again in case you forgot. Not that it offers an answer, but maybe a helpful guide. Much luck man.

http://menieres.org/talk/index.php?topic=2855.msg71652#msg71652

9. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Terrible terrible and I’ve been there. Not sure how you’re doing now, but some quick fixes which might help... Ativan under your tongue works faster than Valium.

Also I recently discovered a study showing that sniffing rubbing alcohol can prevent the vomit, better than zofran. And it’s worked so far for me.
    Knock on wood.

A friend who is a nurse once offered to be on call for me, to have stuff to inject or give IV fluids. I never had to do that, but maybe we all need to be in touch with local mobile nurses. Personally I’d rather be left to die of dehydration or drug overdose than be moved during a vertigo!

Keep swearing, keep crying, keep seeking answers.

10. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    AnneT. MBG doesn't come around anymore, but we recently messaged. He said his doc is treating his Menier's as MAV (migraine related) and because of that, he's doing much better.

11. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Thanks pupper. Good to hear.