1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Could this new jab mean the end of hearing aids?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by James, May 10, 2018.

1. James

James ''Everywhere I go there I am'' GS

May 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    The short answer is yes.

The long answer is this will take some time. Many years...I have been in touch with Frequency and reps from the Hough Institute in OKC.

Apparently the FDA is demanding tons of pre clinical trials and making this process very slow and cumbersome.

But the good news is this stuff is working. The hair cells are not only growing but they are actually sending signals to the brain which is amazing.

James - thanks for continuing to share these great articles....they give me hope and I think they help us all stay positive!

3. Clare

Clare Active Member

Mar 31, 2018
    James, this is too tantalizing! I didn't realize they were doing human trials already. So this is a slow-release gel that gets injected into the middle ear and absorbed into the inner ear. If the progenitor cells can grow into whatever is local, like the cochlea, perhaps they could also work on the vestibular cells? Please, Mac and James, keep us in the loop about these exciting developments? Hope!

4. James

May 12, 2014
    We need all the hope we can get. A woman on FB said her ent said this will happen in her lifetime. She¨s probably 18.

Lots is happening and a race to get there and someone will have a lot of financial rewards.

Would be nice if the FDA could fact track some of these drugs.

I just wonder what happens if the hair cells grow back but kind of willy-nilly. Would a person get a lot of distortion or that word that starts with an H?
    I guess they need to do the studies,but it's wonderful that they are doing human trials.

5. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Good question.

I spoke to the group in Oklahoma. They told me its at the point where - if some one needed a cochlear implant - they could get them to the point where they need a hearing aid. So its by no means 100% percent recovery.

She would not get more specific than that. But that tells me you may get 20-60% of your hearing back. Which is amazing. I am sure it will get better in time.

As for that 18 year old...it could happen by the time she turns 30. There is a HUGE race worldwide to get this to market. We are talking about a hundred billion of profit for the winner. Its that big. So when there is that much money involved - the research will follow.

Lets hope the FDA realizes its not just about the money...It would change lives!!

6. zotjen

zotjen Member

May 12, 2014
    While this sounds promising, my concern is that insurance companies won't be on board to pay for it especially if it only provides 20% of your hearing back. As we know, very few cover the cost of hearing aids which I never understood why.

7. PleaseNoDizzy

PleaseNoDizzy Active Member

May 12, 2014
    I find this very encouraging. Like Clare, though, I REALLY hope this has applications with vestibular system hair cells too. Mine have really taken a hit this year. Not that my hearing hasn't, but how amazing would that be if this addressed both systems.

8. James

May 12, 2014
    Thanks for checking that out Mac.That is amazing that they can do that. A hearing aid sound much better than a cochlear implant.Hearing aids are pretty amazing now with all the technology.

It would definitely change lives.

Vestibular repair would be a Godsend.

I don't remember it I posted this or someone else has. From 2017

https://www.healthyhearing.com/report/52745-New-drug-cocktail-may-be-future-treatment-for-sensorineural-hearing-loss

9. BillsEar

BillsEar Member

Oct 13, 2014
    Even if the FDA slows the development of this technology here, it will develop overseas and you will able to get it outside the U.S. The huge profits from this will guarantee that. That's what happened to LASIK. It was available everywhere else but here before the FDA finally allowed it.

10. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Bill - I believe you are correct. Hopefully someone in Europe speeds this up. However...I have not seen any major developments overseas yet. In the U.S. - it seems Frequency Therapeutics has the lead.

Good news is everyone around the world is zeroed in the ATOH1 gene. So the secret is out. However it is not just a matter of re growing the hairs in the inner ear - but re growing hairs that send signals to the brain.

Frequency starts their clinical trial this year...should be interesting.

11. James

May 12, 2014
    Thanks for keeping us updated Mac.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Interesting read.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180530005336/en/U.S.-Department-Defense-Awards-2M-Grant-Frequency

The Department of defense does not typically hand out money to "fly by night" bio techs. Hearing loss and vestibular problems are a huge issue for our veterans.

I will be watching for any developments as they start Phase 2 of their clinical trial this summer. Fingers crossed they get positive results!!

13. James

May 12, 2014
    Thanks for the update Mac. Fingers crossed!

14. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    https://www.xconomy.com/boston/2018/06/19/decibel-hauls-in-55m-to-bring-multiple-hearing-drugs-to-the-clinic/

15. James

May 12, 2014
    Wow!

16. Clare

Clare Active Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Yes, another great link from Mac!

17. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/novel-drug-therapy-partially-restores-hearing-mice

Great to see so many different research teams working on growing new hair cells...they keep getting closer. The more teams/companies that are working on it...the more pressure to get something to market!

18. sjw111

sjw111 Member

Nov 3, 2016
    This type of article has some truth and can get those of us who are deaf pretty excited. But like some have already said there is much more to the story. Currently there are three locations doing human trials in the US. Columbia, U of Kansas, and Hopkins. All under FDA oversight. I have talked (well emailed) with two of the clinical managers. Of course non are taking MM patients due to the vestibular component. The big issue is delivery. All of these three are doing surgery that is very similar to a CI. But instead of an electrode insertion they inject the gene therapy. Columbia told me to not expect any word official or otherwise until 2020 when the first results will be released. So lots to get curious over....but way too early to change anything you would normally do otherwise. Always best to get your original equipment back for sure....but for now best to use the tools on the shelf.

19. dwaynehoover

dwaynehoover Member

May 13, 2014
    So by "big Issue" you mean general anaesthesia and drilling into your skull I guess. Yeah that sucks I agree. I suppose I would still be willing in my worst ear since cant understand any words there anymore. I wonder what kind of anesthesia they would use for that.?

20. sjw111

sjw111 Member

Nov 3, 2016
    I don't know about anesthesia. But they knock you out for sure. Same as a CI. its skull based surgery for the gene therapy. So the idea of a needle in the drum etc and you can hear again is just pretty far out of reach...they are not counting on this being absorbed via the round window kind of thing. But you never know in the future. I suspect they will have something positive to say on the outcome. Better than a prosthetic ...original equipment always best. But just have to find out how much it works. We will see.