1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

root canal

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by verti, Oct 6, 2017.

1. verti

verti Member

May 20, 2014
    For those of you that have had root canals would you tell me if you smelled any of the disinfectants that was used? I know they use a bleach solution & possibly formaldehyde during the procedure & those are 2 of the worst things I react to. Dr says most people don't smell them but I am super sensitive to odors. Thanks.

2. forevergrateful

forevergrateful Member

Feb 24, 2017
    I have had four root canals, but I have to say I dont remember the odors....just the discomfort of having my mouth open for such a long time.

3. BayMama

BayMama Member

Jul 12, 2014
    I am very sensitive to odors, too. I haven't had root canals, but I do find that dental offices are usually very well ventilated and haven't had problems there.

I will share a trick I just figured out to deal with possible dizziness when they recline the chair. Have them recline it without you in it, and then get into it. I think it is the reclining itself that is the worst part. I also always remind them of my tendency for vertigo and dizziness and ask them to minimize how much they recline the chair.

Good wishes!

4. verti

verti Member

May 20, 2014
    Thanks for comments!

5. Bulldogs

Bulldogs Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Root canal...... I had one on my laby/mm side.

There is a train of thought that mm is the result of a sub clinical infection in the nasal (sinus issues), tonsil (post nasal drip) or the teeth ( hence the need for root canals)

I personally feel mm is the result of stress.... Reducing immune system strength and then infection moves in with headaches sinus issues, post nasal drip and body can't clear it and last line of defense is the endolymphatic sac in the ear and it just gets overwhelmed and thus the mm/hydrops set in.

6. Gardengal

Gardengal Member

May 12, 2015
    I HAD a root canal on my back upper molar (mm side). I had a Ct scan when I was getting checked for TMJ. They saw a pocket of infection behind this old root canal (about 10 years old). I had the tooth/root canal pulled and the infection cleaned out. I wonder if this chronic infection made things worse for me. I had a good run after that tooth was gone.

7. verti

verti Member

May 20, 2014
    Dr. Mercola & the more natural physicians suggest not having root canals. Once a RC is done the tooth is dead & they never get rid of 100% of the infection in the tooth. You're lucky to get rid of tooth. Thanks for your reply.

8. marie

marie Member

Jan 6, 2017
    I had a root canal about 27 years ago but don't remember odors or much about it. I'm wondering now if it could have been mm related as the left sided fluctuating hearing deficit had begun. Thanks for he information that some Dr. prefers extraction to root canal to avoid infection. Since I've been on continuous 2x/day AV I haven't had frequent low grade fevers.
    Best of luck to all.

9. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    I had a root canal about six months ago. Much ado about nothing. Just a fancy filling to me. I did not smell any chemicals.

10. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    But beware the cost. I was taken aback by the price and also by the fact that i then had another bill from another dentist to repair the crown that was drilled through.

11. PapaJoe

PapaJoe Member

Jun 11, 2014
    I've often thought that a properly rooted tooth was probably OK, but I'm getting ready to see a holistic dentist, and they agree with Dr. Mercola, and I'm inclined to agree as well.

As well as the question about whether any root canal can be effective, I've also been the victim of several botched root canals, where the root canal does NOT remove all of the infection due to the entire root not being cleaned out. Even if you believe that a proper root canal is effective, a botched one is one that doesn't not meet the standard of a proper root canal. Botched ones never make it to the end of the root.

Teeth have more than one root. Some have two, some have three and some have four. If the dentist does not get all the way to the bottom of the root, infection remains. This happened with one of my teeth.

For two more of my teeth, the infection had escaped from the bottom of the tooth into the socket and surrounding bone, so that even a "properly done" root canal leave an infection.

In the one tooth with the botched root canal, the infection had already escaped the tooth, so even if that one root canal had not been botched, it would still have left an active infection.

I'm confident in saying that the bulk of my MM symptoms were caused by the dental infection, but I think it required the systemic yeast infection to finally overwhelm my immune system and trigger the MM (and other) symptoms.

My yeast infection tends to affect the cognitive/fatique/brain fog. The dental infections have contributed to heart arrhythmia and peripheral neuropathy.

The endodontist who fixed the botched root canal says that he makes his living almost solely by fixing botched root canals. He also flushed the root and socket (after finishing the botched root) with clorox (a biofilm buster). Thus the neurologic symptoms I had are diminishing - PVCs have stopped, neuropathy is mostly gone.

Right now I don't trust a standard dentist to judge whether I still have infections in or around the roots of my teeth. I expect the holistic dentist will want to pull all of my rooted teeth, and I'm OK with that if that's what they decide.

12. PapaJoe

PapaJoe Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Meniere’s disease may be caused by common intraosseous dental pathology – Diagnosis using the comparative compression sign

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0306987706005111
    Meniere’s disease has been ascribed to a disturbance of the vestibular apparatus or its connections within the Central Nervous System. Several hypotheses have been advanced regarding its aetiopathogenesis, but treatments based on these hypotheses have often not produced the desired results. Two cases are described where common intraosseous pathology within the lower half of the functional face, i.e. within the mandible and maxillae, was shown to be the cause of Meniere’s disease.

There is not a lot of research on dental infections and MM, but this one nailed it.

13. ckdk

ckdk Member

Jan 8, 2017
    apology to bring back old topic, my dentist suggested me to do root canal treatment to ease the pain.

since it is on my good ear side, I'm a bit worry. anyone had experience with root canal and any effect on your MM?

thanks

14. Gardengal

Gardengal Member

May 12, 2015
    I had a 10 year old root canal pulled bc a pocket of infection showed up behind that root canal on a CT scan. That infection could have been sitting there the whole ten years. It was my back upper tooth, closest to my mm ear. I had them pull the tooth. I have felt better since they pulled it and being on AVs. Not sure that I would ever get another root canal. What if that chronic infection was pulling down my immune system allowing MM to wreak havoc for years?

15. ckdk

ckdk Member

Jan 8, 2017
    thanks for your comment. i worried since it's on my good ear side. now, need to decide whether to go with root canal or have it pull out.

16. No thanks

No thanks Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Ckdk
    If the root canal is warranted, I would consider having it done. As a dental hygienist over 30 years, I can say that there are consequences to removing teeth. Yes, not all root canals will be successful, and yes, there could be consequences to the treatment. A natural tooth will always be better than a substitute. Once removed it cannot be reversed. I would give it due consideration before making your choice.

17. ckdk

ckdk Member

Jan 8, 2017
    thanks for your input. what is the required maintenance for root canal treatment?

18. Gardengal

Gardengal Member

May 12, 2015
    No thanks - if you don’t have time to respond, I get it, this is not a dentistry forum BUT...can you tell me what are the negatives to missing teeth? My dentist really didn’t like me loosing a natural tooth but he did understand I was desperate and thought this could help me. Benefit outweighed negative I guess. He is a very compassionate person and has taken a big interest on my “case.” I do worry in the future, as I am pretty young, what if I need root canals in the future. Should I get one? Did they make MM worse?

19. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    A root canal for me was not a very big deal at all, except fo the bill which was a big deal. I was quite surprised all done in an hour, no pain, lots of specialized equipment. I also had major dental (2 implants, bridge, caps) work during the time my hydrops was active. None of it bothered my ear at all. I had expected it would but it didnt. On the other hand, just sitting in the waiting room, listening to certain frequencies and rhythem of music made me nauseated. Go figure. The latter was fixed with antivirals. I did have some very good dentists.

The negative of losing a tooth, for one thing, is the teeth around it will collapse into the empty space over time.

20. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    ^^ i would ask the dentist to avoid any oto toxic drugs.