1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Best Geograpic Location

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by TG, Aug 2, 2018.

1. TG

TG New Member

Jan 8, 2015
    Hi,

I currently live in Wisconsin, I have been here for 6 years and have notice that my systems are worse since moving here. I am especially impacted by changes in the weather. I spoke with my doctor about this and he recommended relocating to the southwest due to the dry climate and less variation in barometric pressure. (He already knew that I was planning to relocate now that I am retired) That is an option since I am retired and not from Wisconsin. Has anyone looked into whether Meniere's symptoms might not be as severe in certain locations of the US? My doctor recommended staying away from the Southeast.

Regards

2. Clare

Clare Active Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Hi TG,

Maybe this link would be helpful: http://dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/symptoms/pressure.htm

This is from another article by Dr. Hain about barometric pressure and migraine, but also touches on Meniere's:
    Keep in mind that Meniere's is a progressive disease, and it may be that your increased symptoms are more related to time than to geography. I wish there were a Shangri-la place we could all go to and be free of our symptoms.

Here is Dr. Hain's overview of Meniere's: http://dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/menieres/menieres.html

The Dizziness and Balance center is located in Chicago -- maybe not too far from you?

3. TG

TG New Member

Jan 8, 2015
    I have had Meniere's for years (it's bilateral). I also have a very good doctor, so while I appreciate your comments about Meniere's being progressive that doesn't change the fact that my symptoms are worse when the weather changes. I am really looking for input regarding geographical location. I have seen plenty of doctors so no need to see another doctor at this point. I also believe that my current doctor is one of the best around. I am definitely moving because we don't have family here and are now retired. One consideration in choosing location is areas that might be helpful for my symptoms. My current doctor admits there is no guaranteed but recommended moving to an area with little variation in barometric pressure and little humidity. Just curious if anyone has experience an improvement is symptoms after moving.

4. twodogs

twodogs Member

Jul 26, 2018
    I do not believe there is a perfect location. There are people on this forum (I was a member for many years a long time ago) from all over the world and we all suffer and wish things were different. That said, I hope you find a dandy place for your retirement. Weather changes, specifically the barometric pressure, affect many of us.

5. TG

TG New Member

Jan 8, 2015
    It would seem that if weather changes make your symptoms worse than it would make sense to move to an area with less variation in barometric pressure and less humidity. So I believe that there are better locations for certain people. I also believe that the underlying cause of menieres varies by person. That's why some people might realize a benefit from acyclovir and others don't. That's why there is no perfect location. I was really looking for input from anyone that might have tried locating to an area with less variation in weather and whether they realized any benefits.

6. TCT

TCT New Member

Jul 30, 2014
    I did see a marked increase in my Meniere episodes and symptoms in General after moving from Ga. to Fla's Gulf Coast. We have storms roll in off the coast often and I react to every one of them. I also had allergy triggers appear. The plant life and environment for mold etc is very different here. I feel marked relief when visiting family back home. I have taken steps to prevent exposure, inhouse air purifiers, daily allergy meds etc.
    Depending on your root causes or triggers a change of climate may bring a wonderful reprieve, I have thought about moving but the snorkeling in Nevada is just not the same.

7. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    One of my worst vertigos, early in my disease, was during a trip to Florida.

I live in Calgary, near the mountains with insane barometric swings and chinook winds. Many people here get more migraines during the chinooks, and my vertigo tends to flare up then too.

My husband (family doc) found an article showing that mm and migraine is less frequent, and less severe, on averages, the closer you get to the equator. Low barometric change locations that I recall were SAN Diego and Honolulu.