1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Does AntiViral Therapy restores hearing?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by mariofrommty, Jul 30, 2018.

1. mariofrommty

mariofrommty Member

Oct 7, 2016
    Hey guys!
    Just wondering if anti viral therapy restores the hearing loss or just helps with the vertigo?

i guess i have super mild hearing loss in the lower frequencies.

this past week i noticed a little change in my hearing, i cant listen to some low frequencies that good anymore.
    could this be a fluctuation?

i never seem to understand what does "fluctuating hearing loss" mean.
    does it mean that it can worse, or return to normal (or get better)?

thanks in advance...

2. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Yes, definitely. In my case my hearing in the lower ranges was restored. I also had hearing loss above 8000 and that was not restored (40 dcb loss). The doctor said this is typical. Apparently that part of the inner ear is more fragile. For me the best part of antiviral was that they eliminated the distortion, tinnitus and autophony, my most dread symptoms, much worse to me than hearing loss per se. But the sooner the better. The more long standing the loss the less chance it will correct it.

3. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Fluctuating means all of the anove. It can be huge fluctuations from normal to almost deaf episodes or just better and worse hours and days. When mine was at its worst i could not recogniE a bass instrument as a musical note at all, it sounded more like racket. I could not recognize johnny cash’s singing as separate notes. Pretty much anything below middle c was not musical to me. Now i hea r music normally. I could not recognize familiar broadcasters voices if they were male, only female.etc etc. All normal now.

4. mariofrommty

mariofrommty Member

Oct 7, 2016
    June Thank you very much, for answering my questions!!!
    im happy to hear that you got better.

for me, the damage... is going slowly but steady, i guess
    my tinnitus remains the same after 2 years
    in 2016 my hearing test showed bilateral hearing loss in the lower frecuencies (very very minimal) and i guess it didnt changed changed until... now

after these two weeks of mild dizziness and some fullness.
    i have noticed lower frequencies in songs, sound more distant.
    im a singer and i make music, so one of my songs sounds weird to me know, it only took less than a week for me to notice.

i hope it gets better :/

im about to release my first ep in two weeks, and i was very excited...now im afraid, and i feel guilty that because of my diet i made things worse.

im gonna research more on antivirals, to know how to start.

thanks again

5. mariofrommty

mariofrommty Member

Oct 7, 2016
    june, did your symptoms were steady or just random? :eek:

6. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    I had most of my symptoms 24/7 for 9 months til starting antibirals. With antivirals they got better gradually over months til finally they were gone. Also take a load off you immune system any way you can. Get enough sleep, stay away from loud noise, eat right, treat allergies (allergy shots also helped me) etc etc.

7. nicmger

nicmger Member

May 12, 2014
    My understanding is that whether or not there is an improvement in hearing using anti virals has a lot to do with how bad and how long the hearing was compromised. In my case the dr didn't anticipate any significant improvement because my hearing had been bad for a couple of years.

However even that said, the one thing "for sure" with my hearing and Meniere's is that it constantly fluctuates. I have some days better than others. Even when I was fitted with my hearing aid with an amazing audiologist she said that fitting someone with Meniere's is much more difficult because of the fluctuation.

Good luck

8. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    As a rule of thumb, the quicker you get the anivirals in the course of the disease, the more likely to have a good response, at least that is the common wisdom. However, i know of one case here where a man had mm for decades, got rid of vertigo with antivirals and years later after hearing of success with hearing took them again, perhaps at higher dosage, i forget the particulars, and had hearing improvement after all thos e years. Likewise, a number of people had antivirals end vertigo even after many ears. You just have to try it to know how it will be for you. Do not assume they will not work for you no matter how many people opine this or that. And do take them for at least a month and if there is any improvement during that time, keep taking them. Good luck,

9. tmcmahon2

tmcmahon2 Member

May 9, 2015
    My low frequency hearing shot up 30db after I started taking antivirals. Not much change since then - About a year or so ago - but the fun part with hearing tests is when you get them. I try and avoid "bad days" like I've had in the last week or so in the larger Wash DC area. (Lots of weather changes, pressure fluctuations, etc.). From now on I'm going to try and go in during the colder/clearer months to see what the tests come back with.

That said, as I always mention, things that work for others don't work for all. That's the problem with this disease - You can't be tested for it. There is nothing, for example blood test, that you can point at and say, "I had this marker, took something, and now it's gone." Everything is correlation and not causation. But as I always also mention ... if you find something that works keep at it. Antivirals are supposed to be very safe and taking them is supposed to be low risk. Of course, I am not a doctor so make sure you cover any of that with your own MD.

10. teesdale

teesdale Active Member

Oct 24, 2014
    I don't have any test results to prove it but my hearing has improved over the past several months after being on A/V's since June, 2017. Ear buds turned to normal volume left nothing but a whisper coming into my bad ear and now the hearing is very close between both ears.

I've had this disease for 28 years so in my case the late start on A'Vs seems to not matter much.

All the Best.

11. ckdk

ckdk Member

Jan 8, 2017
    is AV safe for long term use? I've been on AV for almost 2 years on maintenance dose of 800mg acyclovir and am worry if there's side effect.

12. nicmger

nicmger Member

May 12, 2014
    I have been on valtrex (generic) for 4 yrs or so now. My dr does blood work every 6 months to ensure that there are no issues. If I am recalling my research when I started it is like most meds. Safe for most, in some instances it could impact kidney or liver I believe. But as long as you are monitoring I wouldn't worry about it. For me, so far so good. :)

13. ckdk

ckdk Member

Jan 8, 2017
    thanks for the info.. I usually do blood test annually during medical checkup.

14. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    I have always heard that antivirals were relatively benign drugs, especially compared to others used for MM such as steroids and destructive measures. I took them for a period of months for CH. I was not yet dealing with vertigo so setbacks were not as daunting as they might have been if i were. That was nearly ten years ago. I have not taken any antivirals for many years and Imhave not had a relapse in years (knock on wood). For me, a maintenance dose was not necessary even though i have no doubt whatsoever that it was antivirals that reversed the disease.

15. joebiosolid

joebiosolid New Member

Dec 18, 2017
    I've been on anti-virals since January 25th of this year and my hearing in my affected ear is slowly improving, although I still have some issues with tinnitus, aural fullness, and sensitivity to sound. I've only had one vertigo event that happened in mid-May. As of right now, I'm taking 1500 mg/day of the northstar generic. I have had periods of a couple of days to a week this summer where almost all the symptoms have dissipated, only to reappear later. I do feel confident that the symptoms will eventually get better, but I measure the improvement in months.