1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Predisone and Anti Virus

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by TCT, Aug 15, 2018.

1. TCT

TCT New Member

Jul 30, 2014
    I recently found a new ENT after significant hearing loss. With Insurance changes caused a longer than normal time lapse between the onset of hearing loss and treatment. We tried the high dose prednisone for 2 weeks....it was almost unbearable. I have gained significant hearing, but want to pass along that the treatment itself triggered dizziness and turned up the volume of my tinnitus for 3 weeks post treatment.
    This new Doc offers more info than any of my previous ones and is suggesting Anti Virus treatments. Im using Johns treatment and am able to function most days as long as I am vigilant.
    but would be catagorized by some as having an agressive case of Meniers.
    I have experenced both horizontal and Vertical Vertigo, as well as episodes that last 6 hrs, and re occur for days even weeks before subsiding.
    If anyone has tried the Antivirual treatment I'd appriciate their input or if you have experenced the extreem episodes and found something that worked to get them controlled that would be very welcome info.
    blessings !

2. nicmger

nicmger Member

May 12, 2014
    TCT - if you do a search I believe you will find many experiences here with people who have tried anti virals. I don't think they work for everyone - but can say that they have worked for me. Key is to follow the regime with the "load" dose before tapering down. I take the generic for Valtrex from Northstar manufacturer (the Mylan generic did not work for me).

Congratulations on finding a doctor open to TRYING things. So many - too many - are quick to negate all options saying they won't work while at the same time telling you that they have nothing to offer.

Good luck.

3. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Antivirals worked for me and many on this forum good luck!

4. joebiosolid

joebiosolid New Member

Dec 18, 2017
    Anti-Virals have also worked for me, at least as far as eliminating my vertigo attacks. I take the generic brand made by northstar. I still have problems with aural fullness and tinnitus, and predisone has helped with that.

5. Lupo

Lupo New Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Hi TCT
    I have been on antivirals since early 2016. Diagnosed is 2011 with hearing lose in L ear for several months before vertigo episodes began. Tried prednisone but had horrible effects which my ENT said "could just be the progression of my disease" but found I am one for whom pred takes over adrenal function very quickly. Discontinued that ASAP. Diuretics also didn't work for me because have naturally lower blood pressure so went to lemon bioflavonoids, healthy whole food ( no processed) diet and hydration as my tools. Vertigo ( still had tinnitus and fluctuating ear pressure, funny sounds at times) stayed away for 4 years til 2015 when started spinning again..not nearly as violently but enough to make me sick that went on intermittently for about 9 months until BAM out of blue... first drop attack (real crisis of Tumarkin- felt violently pushed from L side--felt myself flipping backwards head over heels) Only one like this (violent push) but had 2 more over next 2 months or so where had the flip and slumped to ground. Then began having series of what I call mini drops-- just a quick head over heel feeling like one flip wouldn't just flop to ground. Began Acyclovir and these minis which had been happening every few days for weeks stopped within 1.5 weeks and I have had no vertigo at all since. I began w/400mg TID and after several months (3-4) have dropped to maintenance dose of 400mg BID. This "remission" is different than the last, in that my ear is much more stable ...have not regained any hearing but tinnitus is a more consistent low level. Audiologist said sounds I hear could much of the time be because of brain "filling in that void" of hearing lose. Similar to ocean sound/ear to seashell.
    Using a drug off label for an idiopathic disease I am reluctant to say it cured me because nobody really has any idea. Could it be coincidental remission, could there be antiviral resistance over time? These are questions that come to mmd often but if there is anything that having this chronic disease has taught me is that you can never be sure because there are no markers to show you anything decisively. Hard my scientifically trained mind and my type A wanting to solve a problem and get on with it, to wrap around. I now appreciate what AV's have seemed to do for me and will continue to try to treat my body well...Trifecta we hear all the time.... eat well, sleep well and exercise often. Within EAT well, I now include hydrate well as part of that..... maybe it should be INGEST well !!!

6. Lupo

Lupo New Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Hi TCT
    I have been on antivirals since early 2016. Diagnosed is 2011 with hearing lose in L ear for several months before vertigo episodes began. Tried prednisone but had horrible effects which my ENT said "could just be the progression of my disease" but found I am one for whom pred takes over adrenal function very quickly. Discontinued that ASAP. Diuretics also didn't work for me because have naturally lower blood pressure so went to lemon bioflavonoids, healthy whole food ( no processed) diet and hydration as my tools. Vertigo ( still had tinnitus and fluctuating ear pressure, funny sounds at times) stayed away for 4 years til 2015 when started spinning again..not nearly as violently but enough to make me sick that went on intermittently for about 9 months until BAM out of blue... first drop attack (real crisis of Tumarkin- felt violently pushed from L side--felt myself flipping backwards head over heels) Only one like this (violent push) but had 2 more over next 2 months or so where had the flip and slumped to ground. Then began having series of what I call mini drops-- just a quick head over heel feeling like one flip wouldn't just flop to ground. Began Acyclovir and these minis which had been happening every few days for weeks stopped within 1.5 weeks and I have had no vertigo at all since. I began w/400mg TID and after several months (3-4) have dropped to maintenance dose of 400mg BID. This "remission" is different than the last, in that my ear is much more stable ...have not regained any hearing but tinnitus is a more consistent low level. Audiologist said sounds I hear could much of the time be because of brain "filling in that void" of hearing lose. Similar to ocean sound/ear to seashell.
    Using a drug off label for an idiopathic disease, I am reluctant to say it cured me because nobody really has any idea. Could it be coincidental remission, could there be antiviral resistance over time? These are questions that come to mmd often but if there is anything that having this chronic disease has taught me is that you can never be sure because there are no markers to show you anything decisively. Hard my scientifically trained mind and my type A wanting to solve a problem and get on with it, to wrap around. I now appreciate what AV's have seemed to do for me and will continue to try to treat my body well...Trifecta we hear all the time.... eat well, sleep well and exercise often. Within EAT well, I now include hydrate well as part of that..... maybe it should be INGEST well !!!

7. Lupo

Lupo New Member

Jan 1, 2016
    oops sorry for double post my computer is running slow must and clicked again! ;D