1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Meneire's vs Vestibular Migraines

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by PaulaO, Aug 31, 2018.

1. PaulaO

PaulaO New Member

Jul 30, 2018
    So no one will agree as to what is up with my ears. The PTist thinks it is VM (look at me, learning the lingo). The ENT won't say (I see her in October). My GP feels it is MD due to the chronic "fullness" I have.

I think it is going to come down to "You have VM until you have hearing loss".

2. nicmger

nicmger Member

May 12, 2014
    Your ENT should send you for full testing including vestibular testing. There is no test to confirm you have Meniere's but it should help to rule out other causes.

I don't have vestibular migraine but I thought that presented more with dizziness vs extended full room spinning vertigo attacks?

I know my first attack I was told it was benign positional vertigo. Took too many attacks and pushing to get a new ENT who finally listened to my symptoms. She said with the vertigo attacks I had (along with other symptoms) that lasted 4+ hours she immediately was inclined to think Meniere's. Tests ruled out other causes. However, my GP at the time was not inclined to believe the testing/diagnosis since he believed Meniere's is "rare". :) Sharing that just to let you know that to get the medical community to all agree may be difficult. Good luck.

3. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    As nicmger said, there are a whole battery of tests that your ent should do to help narrow it down. You can help by noting your symptoms, how they respond to certain things etc. Have you tried reducing things which are often migraine triggers?

Just from reading here, i think it is poasible tomhave both vestibular migraine (aka MAV) and Menieres at the same time. It is important to nail it doen before considering any surgical approaches.

Good luck, let us know what you learn.

4. PaulaO

PaulaO New Member

Jul 30, 2018
    I've had an MRI and a hearing test. MRI was fine in that regard. Hearing was fine but with "typical for your age group" loss for higher tones. I was sent to a vestibular balance center where we mostly tested my balance (no problems) and kinda my vision. I have other disabilities so working on balance didn't do much so instead she focused on how to be more body aware.

I have flashes of intense dizziness. The room is not spinning. And I have vertigo where the room spins and I have to hold onto something. My ears feel full, like I've ridden in a small airplane. And the tinnitus is driving me nuts.

I have migraines and take meds for that. The idea I'm having migraines but no pain just feels weird.

5. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Paula, if you search this site for MAV 6ou will find a lot of posts. This one is a good place to start.
    http://menieres.org/talk/index.php?topic=2855.msg74918#msg74918

6. PaulaO

PaulaO New Member

Jul 30, 2018
    When I started this thread, I didn't realize it was also called MAV. I've now read several of the threads and saved the article links. I got some readin' to do!

7. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Just save yourself the time and get your entire head severed off like I'm going to do at the Denver No More Spins Clinic.