1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Menieres Vertigo

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by billiejoe87, Sep 11, 2018.

1. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    I think you should investigate MAV. Do a search on MAV on this board.

2. billiejoe87

billiejoe87 New Member

Dec 15, 2016
    I'm almost certain now this is menieres and not MAV.

When looking at the symptoms, As soon as spring has hit here in OZ, my ears have gone haywire. 2 Vertigo spells have left me with aural fullness in both ears and different hearing between my left and right ear. No idea which one is worse as my right ear seems more muffled and seems to be where I feel the dizziness and also a crackling and distortion when I speak, however my left ear seems to hear everything very boomy. Like there is to much bass, almost like there is water in the ear (Which there cant be as I have grommets in both ears).

The way the pressure is in both ears at once is just crazy. I thought even with bilateral disease the ears would be acting up at different times, not altogether.

3. yellow

yellow Member

May 13, 2014
    You cannot self-diagnose Menieres using Dr Google. You need proper testing by a health professional to rule out everything else that can mimic the same symptoms. It takes some time and will involve an MRI, caloric testing and hearing tests.

4. billiejoe87

billiejoe87 New Member

Dec 15, 2016
    I went back to my otologist. He didn't even charge me as he can see how upset I am, and he is concerned about me.

Did another hearing test, no hearing loss again.

The whole time though throughout the day, just walking or driving my whole head fills up with pressure at the top of my head and both ears. I feel slightly off balance and just out of it. The fullness is the worst feeling though, as it just feels like my head and ears are going to explode.

Surely this cant be MAV 6 days after the last vertigo attack leaving these aural symptoms? I have grommets, they have confirmed there is no middle ear fluid even though my left ear keeps popping and equalising pressure. I am currently taking as of 3 days ago:

20 MG Lexapro
    Entire Maximum Dose JOH Regime
    Serc
    Topomax
    Sandomigran

I have also given up virtually all food to make sure I am sticking to no salt. I am lucky to eat the equivalent of an ice cream per day. I am trying this so I can work on both MAV and menieres.

5. Clare

Clare Active Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Gosh, you're really having a tough time, billiejoe. And not having a clear diagnosis is stressful and makes everything worse.

Regarding low-sodium diet, keep in mind your brain needs a minimum of 500 mg per day to keep the electrical currents working properly.

The aural fullness of Meniere's in my experience is only in the ear -- as if i've gotten water in it in the shower and can't clear it -- and not at all in the head. I don't think grommets make a difference with this feeling, since it didn't go away when I had my eardrum punctured.

So sorry you're experiencing this. Does your otologist or primary care doctor suggest referral to another specialty or suggest alternative possibilities for your symptoms? I hope you can find a person with the expertise to give you answers.

6. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    As it was explained to me, it is not that sodium per se is bad for menieres, it is the swings that usually occur in a higher sodium diet that mess with the fluids in the inner ear. I was told to keep the sodium intake moderate and spread it evenly through out the day. In my case it made no difference but to many it does i know.

7. billiejoe87

billiejoe87 New Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Both my Otologists are clear with me that with no verifiable hearing loss, this is Vestibular Migraine.

I have however used the fact I work for the what is virtually the largest company in the world, and have gone through my work to use an employee program which gives us access to a second opinion from the top experts from around the world. I am sending them all the doctors reports and am going to see what they come back with.

The irony of this all is, 3 weeks ago I ended up in emergency after a failed suicide attempt over a distant family issue which now seems so trivial in comparison. My family all came to be by my side and were all telling me "What do you have to worry about?" You have a beautiful young son and wife! You work from home, You have lost tonnes of weight and are healthy, you have it made!

Fast forward to 4 days after being discharged from the psychiatric hospital and I have 2 vertigo attacks in a row which now leave me floating and with extreme fullness. Now I really do have a reason to go through with it all.

8. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Billiejoe, talk to someone now. This is all coming together at once and overwhelming you. You need a friend or relative by your side. Soon these things will be sorted out but you need to contact a friend or relative right now. If you do not have someone to talk to call the suicide hotline now. Please.
    tel:1-800-273-8255

9. nicmger

nicmger Member

May 12, 2014
    BillieJoe - if your experts believe that it is MAV have them switch around the different meds since there are a lot of med options for migraine and not everything works the same for everyone.

Not sure if your doctor would be open to it (and maybe you mentioned already) can you ask to try AntiVirals? They have worked for many (like me) for Meniere's. Key is following the load in dose and then taper down as directed.

I know that stress (for me) can definitely bring on attacks - so while easier said than done, trying to minimize stress is a target.

Please know that your family, your child need you in their life. I know how hard it is to want to keep fighting but just take it day by day. Focus on the small things each day. For me in those horrible early days - if I didn't have a vertigo attack that day..it was a good day. (yes my ear pressure was horrible, can't hear, feel like I am walking thru sludge...but no vertigo it was a good day). If I had a vertigo attack but it was short - it was a good day because it didn't last long. And I know how it sounds..but I really credit it with helping me. Helped me to break the "cycle" that forced me to focus on the bad things happening and living my life dreading the next "shoe" to drop. And while it may not be encouraging, my attacks are always in clusters. "Good" part about that is that you can hold on to the fact that they will stop for a while...and then there will be a blessed break. Just gotta get through the day and hope tomorrow is the better one!

10. billiejoe87

billiejoe87 New Member

Dec 15, 2016
    I had another attack last night. I had been starting to feel like I was slowly getting better in terms of the spaced out feelings and aural fullness and now bam. After last night I'm back to square one.

This is such a frustrating illness to deal with. Only my left ear has tinnitus, and neither has had verifiable hearing loss, however both have fluctuating pressure throughout the day, and I tend to feel the most spaced out on the right side of my head.

How on Earth do I even know for sure the ear that is causing the issue? For people who do have it in both ears, how do you know which one is worse or which one is playing up at a particular time?

Please someone tell me this will get better.

11. Clare

Clare Active Member

Mar 31, 2018
    See a good neurologist.

12. billiejoe87

billiejoe87 New Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Just saw Professor Gibson in Sydney today. One of the menieres gurus.

He is a very smart man. Looked in my ears and noticed when I do a Valsalva Maneavour even with grommets in the ears, my left ear drum still flutters back and forth which shouldn't happen when there is a hole in the eardrum. He is not comfortable with how long I've had these grommets in and even though they look ok, he told me after 4 years they may be causing trouble.

Professor Gibson gave me steroid injections in both ears and also prescribed me pseudoephedrine and diazepam to help with the inflammation and relax ear muscles as I keep getting fluttering and crackling distortion in the ears when talking or when loud noises are present.

He has also booked me in for full balance testing including caloric testing next week to give a baseline of where my balance is now. He was a wealth of knowledge about menieres and even though once again my hearing test showed no hearing loss, he said the balance testing will give him a good idea on diagnosis and we can go from there.

Made a huge difference to my state of mind seeing someone who is willing to work with me, and knows so much about these ear issues.

13. billiejoe87

billiejoe87 New Member

Dec 15, 2016
    For what it's worth, I've started taking over the last few days:

*1gm of Valtrex, 3x a day
    *32mg of Serc 3x a day
    *Sudafed 3x a day

Today I have felt better than I have since I had my first vertigo attack 2.5 weeks ago. The fullness has gone down a lot for the majority of the day and I am not feeling anywhere near as lightheaded. I have not been sticking to a strict diet as I had a gastric sleeve months ago and am actually incredibly limited in how much I can eat anyway, so I don't want to punish myself on the little bit I can eat.

I actually spent some time today at the beach with friends and family and had a great time. I don't know if it's just a coincidence, but the antivirals and serc may well be working.

14. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Good for you! Remember it is to steps forward and one back so do not throw in the towel when you have a step back, just keep going and look at the long picture.

15. billiejoe87

billiejoe87 New Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Thanks June.

I've just got to remind myself how much this fluctuates and just because tomorrow may be bad, it doesn't mean the day after will be.

It's so encouraging reading how many people respond to antivirals though. It can't be a placebo when so many online on different groups all have such positive results. Professor Bill Gibson who is a menieres guru in Sydney told me that all the research is moving towards menieres having a viral cause. He setup the first dedicated menieres research facility in the world at Sydney University and is directly involved with Dr. Brown who runs it. For people who handle so many sufferers to be saying the viral cause is where we are headed makes me astounded that antivirals aren't used in virtually all menieres cases that don't respond to low salt diets before moving onto surgical procedures.

16. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    I am also surprised antivirals are not tried right off the gitgo since they are relatively benign and relatively successful. They will do a surgical procedure or prescribe much more risky steroids at the drop of a hat. I think part of it is, most ent’s have a lot of surgical train8ng and they think that way. Sounds like you may be one of us lucky ones that antivirals work for. Remember, we are talking months, perhaps many months, til you get the full benefit. Also do whatever you can to reduce stress, enough sleep, allergies etc because it all saps the immune system. Good luck.

17. John of Ohio

John of Ohio Active Member

May 17, 2014
    Why aren't antiherpetics a first, preferred treatment, now, after over a decade of profound success?

Professional arrogance. I’m a professional myself, in a non-medical field of biology. I have a consultancy that offers advice to clients to solve particular environmental problems; as with Meniere’s, problems for which there are a diversity of potential or preferred options.

Well, guess what? Any number of times I’ve had clients tell me that my “prescriptions,” my professional reports of recommended actions to solve their environmental problems for which I’m an expert, are “wrong,” or “inadequate,” or "...should be amended to include....”

What? What do these people think, that they know more about how to solve their problems than I do? They come to me for my experienced, successful answers and recommendations. But a few, then, turn right around and tell me that they know of better solutions; that mine are antiquated and inadequate, thank you.

Frankly, I’m a pro. I KNOW what works and what doesn’t. Having some ignorant client tell me I’m wrong, that what I’m recommending in my report is wrong and won’t work, or even worse, that the client has the better solution, rolls my eyes — unless I catch myself. Now, I ponder how, as we’d wish with Meniere’s professionals, that any and all solutions would be considered. Today, when confronted with contentious and alternative perspectives, I try diligently to consider any supporting data. Maybe there are other, even better solutions that I don't know about.

Arrogance is a professional trait of many physicians, duly acquired. The majority of physicians are oldest children. From diaperhood they were regarded by their parents as special, with special talents. In school, virtually all excelled, from kindergarten through medical school. They’ve always been regarded as smarter, more educated, and more competent that the rest of humanity. After all, just who is allowed to take a scalpel to living human flesh, or prescribe drugs with pages of listed, even lethal side effects?

Are those fine people markedly open to alternative treatment suggestions from their patients? Ha.

18. billiejoe87

billiejoe87 New Member

Dec 15, 2016
    That is very well put John Of Ohio.

I just don't get it as many doctors prescribe Serc and Diuretics for menieres which are just as unproven. In fact I'd say based on what Professor Gibson and the menieres research lab is saying, the evidence is probably better for antivirals at this point. Yet unless I had found people mentioning it online and wrote to Dr. Gacek myself and taken his email to my GP, I would never have been prescribed antivirals even though they are a relatively low risk medication.

These guys are very quick to tell you to try and live with this and if you can't they can perform destructive surgeries. It's just nuts. There is clearly so many different methods you can try for menieres. Destructive surgeries should be reserved for the most severe cases that just don't respond to anything. The 5-10% of menieres sufferers who just cannot gain any control as my otologist puts it. By treating menieres this way and trying many different options before destructive surgeries makes menieres look like much less of a life sentence, particularly for bilateral sufferers. If you are unfortunate enough to be diagnosed with this disease and are told there are many good treatments to try and then surgery as a last resort it would no longer seem to scary, compared to when you are told to live with it and wait for a hopeful burnout or have your nerve severed.

• Like Like x 1
  19. nicmger

nicmger Member

May 12, 2014
    BillieJoe - in the states Serc is not commonly prescribed. If a dr agrees to do it the script has to be filled at a compounding pharmacy which is COSTLY. To share, for me, after the initial load dose of the antivirals I felt "better" but not as great as I remembered feeling. My dr agreed to extend the load dose for another 3 weeks and then I did the taper. That slight extension on the load in higher dose I believe was critical for me (maybe not everyone). Since then if I let myself go too fast/long days/exhaustion I will start to feel "off" and it is a reminder to slow down. The darn sinus issues definitely impact. But all in all big improvement.

It is the very nature of this disease/syndrome (whatever). Because it can be random and fluctuate easily without a true cause is precisely why the US dr/gov/pharma fight amongst themselves on what can work. Study may show something works (like anti-virals) but many will argue that it was only just because the disease wasn't active at that time and no connection to the med. For me, during my darkest of days, just being offered the chance/the hope of something working would offer a lifeline. Most of my drs simply said "got nothing for you". It was from the previous board like this that I first learned of antivirals and found a dr (not easy) who would give them a chance.

But like June said, don't get discouraged if there is a set back. We all get them. The key is to hold on to the fact that you have had some great days recently - which proves they will return. If an attack is shorter or less severe than a previous, hold on to that.

I am excited for you to have found a dr that is open to new things, trying every option and one that actually knows about Meniere's.

20. Moonblues

Moonblues New Member

Mar 4, 2016
    This message board has helped me to cope and to help with symptoms. I was diagnosed with Meniere's in the late 90's. My vertigo quieted down around 2003. In 2015 my vertigo came back more than ever and the episodes were like nothing I ever experienced in the past. They were more intense, more frequent and episodes lasted longer. This went on for about 4 0r 5 months. I started to look back on what might have changed recently and maybe it brought it on. I realized the episodes started up the same time I was told I had dry eyes and the doctor recommended to start using eye drops. They were over the counter eye drops. I stopped the eye drops and vertigo stopped. It has been over 2 years since my last episode. Yes, I still have tinnitus and other symptoms, but vertigo has stopped. Coincidence? I don't know, but I am not going use to use eye drops again to find out. I have read many other blogs on the internet where people had similar experiences with eye drops. I know this is not a cure-all for vertigo, but if I can eliminate something that might trigger it, what the hell it's worth a try.
    I hope this can help someone.