1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Could this new jab mean the end of hearing aids?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by James, May 10, 2018.

1. ckdk

ckdk Member

Jan 8, 2017
    another link regarding study from frequency tx. https://www.alamoent.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Hearing-Loss-Study.pdf

2. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Great find CKDK!!

I knew they had planned on starting Phase 2 this summer but I had not seen any prove they had started. Hopefully it is a good sign that they are starting on time.

No chance anyone with a history of MM is getting into this but man I hope they can pull of some good results. It would be a game changer.

3. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    https://www.drugdeliverybusiness.com/frequency-therapeutics-launches-clinical-trial-for-hearing-loss-drug/

If I hear anything I will pass it along. I have been digging to find out if it is working. Apparently they started it a few weeks back.

If anyone hears anything please let us know...thanks.

4. James

James ''Everywhere I go there I am'' GS

May 12, 2014
    I just saw this too. Fingers crossed.

5. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    https://www.xconomy.com/boston/2018/08/07/now-hear-this-akouos-secures-50m-for-hearing-loss-gene-therapy-rd/

more companies in the hunt...the more the merrier. guess the thought of 600 million clients is enticing.

6. Clare

Clare Active Member

Mar 31, 2018
    It's encouraging to see this research activity around hearing loss -- a condition that for too long has been taboo to discuss.

7. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Did not read, but from the comments it sounds like something good is on the horizon. Call me in 10 years.

8. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    If you post your number... I will call you. ha.

It may not be Frequency...but this is going down by 2028.

9. ckdk

ckdk Member

Jan 8, 2017
    another update from another company
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/auris-medical-receives-fda-guidance-121605378.html?bcmt=1

10. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Novartis getting on board...There are now 2 active trials on humans to attempt to regrow hair cells in humans. Pretty amazing things going on right now.

http://www.trials.novartis.com/en/clinical-trials/hearing-restoration-clinical-trial/

11. James

James ''Everywhere I go there I am'' GS

May 12, 2014
    Thanks for the updates Mac.

12. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    https://www.biospace.com/article/releases/frequency-therapeutics-completes-enrollment-in-single-dose-safety-trial-to-evaluate-fx-322-a-first-in-class-drug-candidate-for-hearing-restoration/?s=69

results should be out in a few months...fingers crossed.

13. Clare

Clare Active Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Thanks, Mac. I always enjoy the articles you post.

14. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Clare,

Thanks! Always trying to post positive articles. Not sure if it will be stem cell or gene therapy but this is going down. I know you recently had a labby and I hope you are doing well!

15. Clare

Clare Active Member

Mar 31, 2018
    I'm doing very well; just posted about Week 7. Thanks, Mac!

16. sjw111

sjw111 Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Oh we all wish for sure. Three trials going on now in US. Funded by big pharma Novartis. Much of the run up work was done by a company called Genvec. Looked like a good stock play at first. That didn't turn out so well. Now they just do some stuff for Novartis. If you talk to those close to the ground at these three locations there remains a lot of negative speculation. Yes birds regenerate hearing cells via nature. Yes they are doing it with mice in labs....so we have jumped the mammal barrier. But the gene specific success in mice is not carrying over so well to human. Hit a wall of sorts. The Holy Grail is the right gene for humans. Don't have it so far. Each of the three colleges are doing about 50 humans right now....but they are still enrolling and don't have the 50 yet each. The clock does not start ticking for a 2-3 year wait on outcomes etc until the last person is enrolled. So still lots of time and the search for the right gene. Its still questionable. Also its not a jab its a surgery where a hole is drilled into the inner ear....or is put through the round window....so a bit more like middle ear surgery....or a CI to get delivery in the right place. Its the middle chamber of the cochlear that has to receive and accept the new regeneration cell either directly or via osmosis. Not sure it will ever be a needle in the ear drum and you can hear again....that is a long shot. We will see. Fingers crossed for all of us that can use it. Meanwhile stick with the CI....maybe keep an option open to go with regeneration if its possible in your case. Good luck to all. Good stuff someday.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
  18. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
  19. Clare

Clare Active Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Thanks for your rays of hope, Mac. It's great to see progress in addressing hearing loss.

20. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    • Fistbump/thanks Fistbump/thanks x 1