1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Meniere's Diagnosis

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Owlet, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Owlet

Owlet New Member

Nov 11, 2018
    Hello everyone :)

I received a Meniere's diagnosis at the end of last year, but I've read a lot that says people don't experience pain from it. I regularly get pressure building up in my right ear until it becomes extremely painful and distracting. Is this a usual symptom?

I've looked into TMD/TMJ as well, but I get the pain completely at random, so even if I have my jaw relaxed and haven't been using it, I'll get the pain in my ear. My jaw does pop when I open it, but it has done for over ten years without any pain associated (something about the braces I had started it - the same happened with my older sister). I also don't get pain all across my head, just deep down inside my right ear.

I am going back to the ENT clinic about it, but I was wondering if this was something other people had experienced.

2. PapaJoe

PapaJoe Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Everybody has their own personal MM hell.

So far, anti-fungal and anti-viral meds seem to have the best success. It may help to go on a low-carb diet (like a Candida diet) and take lots of probiotics.

3. Owlet

Owlet New Member

Nov 11, 2018
    Thanks for the reply! I asked because of there being a number of articles around saying Meniere's involved no pain, so I was confused if that was really the case.

Thank you for offering possible treatments. I have some dietary restrictions due to allergies, but I'll have a look into it.

4. sadmuso

sadmuso New Member

Jun 28, 2018
    I don't have a formal diagnosis yet, but I get pain--it's short and sharp, like a spasm, but sometimes lingers around for an ache.

5. solari

solari MM.org Janitor Staff Member

Admin Post
    It varies wildly for everyone. I only get pain when the barometric pressure is intense but only for that limited time. I would check deeper into this esp. for other causes just in case it's not MM.

Ray

6. Owlet

Owlet New Member

Nov 11, 2018
    Thanks for the reply. Does that feel like a nerve pain, with it radiating out? I get more of a deep pain that can last for a while.

Thanks! I've had an MRI and some other tests done and those have come back clear, thankfully. How do you tell when the pressure is causing the pain?

7. solari

solari MM.org Janitor Staff Member

Admin Post
    I don't think it feels like nerve pain... I can tell when my ears feel very full and tight, popping my ears as an affect. And there's usually bad weather about.

Ray

8. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    On windy barometric change days I get neck pain that radiates to my bad ear, and my jaw or teeth. Rubbing the area shows tenderness in my trapezius muscle radiating to the sore neck. The top of my sternocleidomastoid and upper neck/base of head are tender too. I think mine is a combo of muscle trigger points, arthritis and migraine process but it definitely makes my ear sore and tends to dovetail with disequilibrium and vertigo. (2 normal MRIs)