1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

I am starting Valtrex tonight

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by RedBird11, Nov 28, 2018.

1. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Yes hi Redbird and Julie! Fingers crossed for us. Hallelujah the doc agreed to valtrex, and renewed my benzodiazepines.
    I had a short vertigo around 5 a.m. Big chinook wind out today. Feeling some disequilibrium so will take it easy.

2. RedBird11

RedBird11 Member

May 12, 2014
    Missouri
    Well, I had vertigo tonight. though it didn’t seem to last as long as usual...

3. JulieZ

JulieZ New Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Hi RedBird and Anne, it's nice to be trying this with you. RedBird, sorry you had the attack last night - God, it's a miserable feeling.

I just finished day 14 on the antivirals. It's hard for me to tell if they are helping because my attacks have been sporadic in the past. But I have not had any full blown attacks since I started, and (maybe it's just wishful thinking) the bouts of "swimminess" seem to be less severe and maybe the ear fullness is a bit better? I guess the jury is still out.

4. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Day 2. Another wind warning and chinook arch. Head feeling off and risky so took Advil, Tylenol, gravol and a nibble of clonazepam before my dental appointment. Survived it, and even managed going to the pharmacy and organic food store. I think my ThereSpecs glasses are helping me with fluorescent lights. I’m home now - had hoped to go to one more thing, but got a hint of vertigo for a few seconds so I’ll lay low now.

5. RedBird11

RedBird11 Member

May 12, 2014
    Missouri
    I have now been on antivirals for just under 3 weeks. I am not sure if they are helping yet or not. Yesterday I felt pretty good! I felt very positive about it. Today my ear pressure has increased some and that makes me nervous. I know it is still pretty early in treatment though.

6. RedBird11

RedBird11 Member

May 12, 2014
    Missouri
    Its like I jinxed myself. I ended up having vertigo last night. Feeling a bit discouraged.

7. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Boo vertigo, redbird. Sorry to hear it. Lots of people here say that if it’s going to help it can take awhile.

I’ve been in generic mylan valacyclovir for a week. Just traded them in for brand name Valtrex. Merry Christmas to me $$$$!!! I’m still getting vertigo every 2-3 days but less violent than earlier this fall.

8. RedBird11

RedBird11 Member

May 12, 2014
    Missouri
    I have been on Valacylovir for 4 weeks now. No improvements yet. Still hoping.

9. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    :( sorry to hear it redbird.

10. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Hi redbird and julieZ
    Phooey I just had a vertigo. Was feeling precarious all morning, chatted on the phone with a friend, got up to put the phone back on hubby’s desk, and got knocked right into him. Didn’t spin long, as long as I lie still. Had some Ativan, gravol, sniffling my rubbing alcohol, slowly eating a bit of lunch. Might try some of my new CBD oil but a little concerned... how safe is it to be doing so many experiments on myself at once? Yet I just want to throw everything possible at The Beast.

Ok that’s enough screen time for me... whoozy... back to the Contemplative Couch... fight the boredom and self pity.

11. RedBird11

RedBird11 Member

May 12, 2014
    Missouri
    I have now been on Valacylovir for 5 weeks. I don't think I feel any different. But I have seen a lot of people say that 6 weeks was their magic number. So I haven't given up yet. I will continue to update.

12. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    I’ve been on brand name valtrex and lemon Bv for 2 weeks; Vinpocetine, reactive, and Vit C for 3 weeks. I tried CBD oil for a few days, and think it backfired. I started some sublingual B12 a couple days ago.

I started wearing my dental guard again a few days ago.

I’ve also reviewed “Heal your Headache” and am treating any MAV component- so quit Advil and Tylenol cold turkey, finally weaned off caffeine (today is Day 1!), and am continuing to take little nibbles of clonazepam when I’m feeling off balance.

All that... and maybe I’m doing better? I’ve had a few mini-vertigo in the last week, but brief and I didn’t have to take extra meds. And I went to a movie!! First time in months.

Next addition is very gradually increasing my exercise - I walk and stretch, do gentle yoga and tai chi, but let harder cardio workouts fall away this year. Maybe that’s a contributor to my shitty year of vertigo? I read here that getting that old heart rate up is good - makes sense, when we are able.

And the next test will be next week when I return to art classes. That old building may be a big trigger for me, so I may need to take a break or quit altogether.

13. nicmger

nicmger Member

May 12, 2014
    I was able to get the load dose of valcyclovir (3x day) extended to 6 weeks, then tapered. I do want to share that initially my generic was manuf by Northstar. About 4 months in I noticed the refill looked different and noted it was from Mylan. Not a big deal...I have always considered generics to all be the same. For me...on THIS med...wrong. Within 48 hrs I had an attack. I got it switched back to Northstar (had to change pharmacy) and it was night/day difference. I can't explain the why. One other time since then they mistakenly gave me the Mylan and I figured I would give it the old college try...same thing, attack in under 48 hrs. So now my generic is always filled with Northstar.

Major weather fluctuations can still make my ear fill up a bit and make me feel off.

Good luck all. Hope it works for you.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. RedBird11

RedBird11 Member

May 12, 2014
    Missouri
    nicmger, my valacyclovir is manufactured by Camber.

I am still feeling no different. I have been on the high dose for just about 6 weeks now.

15. tmcmahon2

tmcmahon2 Member

May 9, 2015
    I was on anti-virals, things got better, lost insurance, couldn't reup the prescription, things got worse, had a friend that helped me out and now ... about two weeks later .... things seem to be better. I know that's less than two weeks but keep at it. I know some people think the generic manufacturers are important but I've gone through two of them now and no difference. Just a data point. Not arguing.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. RedBird11

RedBird11 Member

May 12, 2014
    Missouri
    7 weeks. Zero changes.

17. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    That sucks, Redbird11. Do you have a Plan B in the works?

18. RedBird11

RedBird11 Member

May 12, 2014
    Missouri
    I do. I have pretty bad TMJ issues and limited jaw opening. I have read about lots of people who have found relief from their Meniere's symptoms through treating their TMJ issues. I already went through all of the tests and CT scans with a dentist that specializes in TMJ, back in October. The treatment is really pricey though so I put it off for a while to try the antiviral approach. I think I am going to go for the TMJ treatment. Worst comes to worst it should relieve my jaw pain but I REALLY really hope it relieves my Meniere's symptoms as well.

19. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Fingers crossed for you

20. PleaseNoDizzy

PleaseNoDizzy Active Member

May 12, 2014
    I hope the TMJ treatment offers you relief on both fronts. Those two parts of the anatomy are so close together, there just has to be some overlap in both symptoms and causation for those affected by both.

I had about 5-7 years of TMJ issues in my 20's. Nothing severe enough to get formally treated, and at the time there was no way I could have afforded it anyway. Eventually the problem kind of faded but to this day I still get some clicking and popping but none of the pain and stiffness I used to have. The MM didn't crop up until over a decade later.