1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Moving forward with treatment

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by BenLeg, Jul 10, 2018.

1. BenLeg

BenLeg New Member

Jul 10, 2018
    Hey all

I'm new here and this is my first post. Just looking for some friendly advice. I'm 21 years old and I was diagnosed with Meniere's in my right ear when I was 18. Been taking a diuretic daily and meclizine as needed since then. I've also done the steroid injection in my ear a bunch of times. It seems as time goes on the episodes are no longer episodes and are more so just a part of daily life. As a busy college student this is unacceptable and I'm willing to do what it takes to stop further spinning. I've done just about every lifestyle change that I've heard of but it has not really helped. I'm wondering what kinds of things I should ask my doctor about that have worked for you all in terms of medical treatment. Hearing is nearly gone at the moment but it has bounced back in the past.

Thanks for your help

2. teesdale

teesdale Active Member

Oct 24, 2014
    BenLeg,
    Welcome, and I'm sorry you are going through this - particularly at such a young age. You should get a lot of advice from the people on this site. It has truly been a God-send for me.

My disease struck when I was 31 and I had the severe episodes periodically for ten years before I was diagnosed. I then did the diuretic, low salt route. It helped for several years but I would still have attacks. Then I had some really nasty bouts including my first drop attack and consequently I found this site.

I immediately went on the JOH vitamin regimen. It helped so if I were in your shoes I would try that.

After years of pretty good health, the disease started into what you describe as being just part of daily life. Frequent disequilibrium, nausea but not the severe vertigo. Hearing in my effected ear was always deficient but it really began fluctuating into poor hearing.

Then I started Antivirals (valacyclovir, 1000 mg 3x daily). It took a while but I settled in on the Northstar brand last June. I am happy to report that I have been symptom free for exactly one year today! And my hearing is much improved.

If you decide on the Antiviral route and encounter resistance from your doctor I can tell you what I did. I looked him dead in the eye and said I can't live like this. He wrote the prescription and has been doing it ever since.

Best of health to you.

3. Elizabeth

Elizabeth New Member

Dec 23, 2018
    Hi BenLeg,
    How are you doing now? Did you find some orher changes that helped?

4. Peter rabbit

Peter rabbit Member

Nov 23, 2018
    You could ask your doctor about having the vestibular nerve section surgery. It worked for me.