1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Happy New Year - 2018/19

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by imasteeler, Dec 29, 2018.

1. imasteeler

imasteeler Member

May 12, 2014
    Houston
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all...!! Looking forward to a great year, full of good stuff and happy times..!!

After my intratympanic steroid injection in August, my hearing had returned to almost full strength in the 2nd ear, and is probably 50% or so in my original Meniere's ear. I've played on multiple dates with a full range of hearing and no distortion in tone or pitch. Indeed a remarkable turn-around from mid-July when the 2nd ear went South.

BUT...

I've also struggled with all symptoms on and off since then. Some days are great, others not so much. Dizzy, not vertigo thank God, buy dizzy, ear feeling full, insane tinnitus, brain fog and forgetful, and hearing fluctuating wildly between crystal clear one day and so muddy and distorted the next that I can barely make out what is going on around me. Not good .... and difficult to describe to the medical folks.

I've done a 90-day course of anti-virals with no apparent effect. It could be that the dosage was too low, I suppose, and I expect to revisit this with my PCP in January.

It seems my symptoms will flare up for almost no apparent reason. Too much salt, or too little? Too much water, or too little? Too much wine, or too little? I cannot pinpoint any direct correlation, at least with how I am measuring stuff.

Only constant for me so far has been the JOH, which I am maintaining steadfastly since July - at full dosages. And Grandma's secret formula - eating well, getting enough rest, taking time to relax every day, and spending more time doing stuff I like.

Anyways - just dropping by to wish everyone the very best of everything in the coming year!

JMC

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Good message, thanks! I didn’t know any of the procedures good be sparing or helpful to hearing. Hmmm. Maybe I’ll get brave and return to my ENT. I’ve just gotten used to trying to figure this random Beast out on my own, and with a little help from my friends here. Glad you are playing!

3. Glenn

Glenn Member

Nov 20, 2018
    Indy
    What is JOH?

4. imasteeler

imasteeler Member

May 12, 2014
    Houston
    John of Ohio regimen - many threads and much discussion about this. I have found it to be effective for me. Check it out here: http://www.zoominternet.net/~kcshop/JOH.PDF

John also posts here from time to time.

5. imasteeler

imasteeler Member

May 12, 2014
    Houston
    There may also be an updated version

6. Peter rabbit

Peter rabbit Member

Nov 23, 2018
    I beginning to think that we are better off figuring out things on our own. The doctors don't know much about what is going on, so why not?

7. Peter rabbit

Peter rabbit Member

Nov 23, 2018
    I posted reply too fast to my last reply lol. Back to the docs though. All they can do is really expensive destructive treatments for the vertigo. Also really expensive hearing aids. But of course no way to treat the underline cause of this disease because they simply DO NOT KNOW. I said that to say this. I asked my otologist in September if they have figured out what causes this disease and his reply was let me know when you figure it out because we will both win a noble Peace prize. So, that remark tells me alot that comes from a otologist that studies abroad and is a researcher for hearing and balance disorders. Thanks though happy new year to all my menierians.

8. solari

solari MM.org Janitor Staff Member

Admin Post
    Thanks, Peter! I too, wish everyone a happy and most importantly, as healthy as possible New Year!

Ray