1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Newly diagnosed with Meniers, I need some advice

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by swert, Nov 24, 2014.

1. swert

swert New Member

Nov 24, 2014
    I have been diagnosed with Meniers the beginning of November. The ENT doctor started me on a water pill in hopes of managing the disease. Since then I have had 3 debilitating episodes in the last week, the last one lasting 8 hours. I am worried now about going out and it happening while away from home. I do work full time and I have had it happen there a couple of times, but they weren't debilitating. What have some of you used to help this?? Does gravel help? As I get extremely nauseated and vomit.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Debbie

2. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Hi Debbie. Lots of people here have been successful in dealing with Menieres. I hope you will do lots of reading here and find something that is useful to you. What helped me, was antiviral therapy and allergy treatment. Good luck!

3. BayMama

BayMama Member

Jul 12, 2014
    This disease is really tough, Debbie, and can make it hard to work. You are fortunate you have found this place so quickly. Keep reading.

It took me a while, but with the help of my second ENT and this board I figured out I had Meniere's, MAV (Migraine Associated Vertigo), and BPPV. A combination of getting new glasses (eyestrain was triggering the MAV), the Epley maneuver, and antivirals has helped tremendously. I am much, much better, but still on my way.

4. Urschel

Urschel New Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Hi Debbie,

Welcome and sorry to hear that... I also started out the same way as you, but the water pills did nothing for me (in fact they made me feel worse, since they sent my blood pressure way low..). Ask your Doctor for a prescription for Serc (Novo-Betahistine) it helps control/avoid the vertigo somewhat. Also for the nausea and vomiting during those horrible vertigo attacks: the only thing that works a little for me is Gravol, however since the tablets always come back up, I have switched to suppositories. Unfortunately that is only something you can do when the vertigo hits when you are at home.....hope this helps!

5. BayMama

BayMama Member

Jul 12, 2014
    I wanted to add that allergies/multiple sensitivity and TMJ contribute to my balance and ear problems too.

6. Hollyflo

Hollyflo Member

Sep 19, 2014
    Don't have much to add except one has to go through much trial and error before some stabilization can occur. It is complex and this site has been immensely helpful to me.

7. teesdale

teesdale Active Member

Oct 24, 2014
    Debbie, so sorry to hear you are feeling this way. I found tremendous relief with the JOH vitamin regimen (which you can find in the database on this site) for six years. Lately I have been getting dizzy and nauseous but not from vertigo (room spinning). I have added the anti-viral acyclovir at the Dr. Gracek (sp?) prescribed level and hoping for further improvement.

If you have sufficient warning before the vomitting commences, you can try cocculus compositum. It takes 5 minutes or so to dissolve under the tongue and has helped ward off the spins. Good luck and keep reading the info on this site.

8. teesdale

teesdale Active Member

Oct 24, 2014
    Also, diet is so important in combatting MM, and not just maintaining a low sodium diet. As some people recently commented, even blueberries which are very good for people normally can be a problem for MM sufferers. Apparently because they stir up the little virals most likely running around in your ear.

9. swert

swert New Member

Nov 24, 2014
    I really appreciate all the help and advice I have received, it gives me more hope to battle this disease. I know I have a lot of research to do and experimenting.
    Again thanks everyone!
    Debbie

10. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Blueberries good grief! Seriously? I’ve given up work, alcohol, caffeine, salt, chocolate, gluten, dairy, egg...please don’t take my blueberries away.

11. sjw111

sjw111 Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Find a top notch doc. One that specializes in dizzy-balance disorders. If you post your location many here can recommend one. Get a full medical work up. Including but not limited to ENG, MRI, VEMP, Rotary Chair, Hearing, VHIT, blood, etc. (just off the top of my head) Most of that is to rule out other bad stuff. But important. Yes on the water pill and low sodium. 100% of people with MM have hydrops. (but not all with hydrops have MM) So the water reduction can help. Read and educate yourself and others close by you. I recommend Dr Tim Hains writings. Google "Dr Tim Hain Menieres". At home, work, and car put together an emergency kit of towel, plastic bags (to barf in), etc. You will probably need it. I wear a medical bracelet that links to a on line medical summary of me. So first responders will know what is going on....and to call a friend to get home...not to transport to hospital. Good luck. Life is still good.

• Like Like x 1