1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Meniere's or bppv?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Pattyoh, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Pattyoh

Pattyoh New Member

Jan 13, 2019
    For almost a month I have had vertigo and stopped up ears. Went to an ENT and he thinks it is bppv. He said it will go away on it's own. I have had vertigo before but never this bad and this often. What I don't understand is should my ears still be stopped up after almost a month? Does this sound like Meniere's? Should I get another opinion?

2. PleaseNoDizzy

PleaseNoDizzy Active Member

May 12, 2014
    For the better part of 7 years, I had the full feeling in my ear daily. To varying degrees. Some days were better than others. It's definitely possible. Usually after a vertigo attack I'd get a reprieve for a bit from the fullness.

3. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Have you had a proper hearing test? Any sense that your hearing is poorer?

Did the ent do a tuning fork test as part of your physical exam?

If you don’t mind sharing where you live, someone here can probably direct you to the right professionals.

It can take awhile to get the diagnosis nailed down, but if you feel a sense of fullness in your ear (and there’s no wax there - I assume this ent at least looked in your ear?), get vertigo attacks (that aren’t just when you roll over in bed), there is a chance it’s Menieres or Migraine Associated Vertigo. Do you have tinnitus?

4. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    What triggers your vertigo? If it is BPPV, it probably will eventually go away on it's own, but no telling how long that will take. Your ENT could have put an end to it, right there in his office, doing something called the Epley maneuver.

Eustachian tube dysfunction can cause your ears to feel plugged.

5. Pattyoh

Pattyoh New Member

Jan 13, 2019
    To answer some questions, I initially went to urgent care and they cleaned out my ears. No wax at all. Was told by them and the ENT that my ears look healthy. I do use earbuds daily if that matters. My hearing seems to be fine most of the time, a couple times I felt like I had a little trouble hearing. No hearing test was done. No tuning fork test (don't know what that is). He did not do the Epley but I wasn't having severe vertigo at the time, just slightly dizzy. He watched my eye movements and looked in my ears, and had me lay back and turn my head, I think to see if it triggered anything. I have had tinnitus only a couple times when I first woke up. Also the mornings seem to the be worst, and especially after looking at my phone or my laptop. Another symptom is my head gets very hot. It seems to improve as the day goes on. I have taken Meclizine a few times but doesn't seem to help. I live in the Cincinnati, OH area. We have a Center for Balance & Rehab place I was thinking about going to.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  6. Glenn

Glenn Member

Nov 20, 2018
    Indy
    I think the Center for Balance and Rehab can help you. There are problems called CVS-computer vision syndrome-vertigo- from looking at computers. There are neck muscles that get out of wack from looking up and typing, or laying too long sideways. Do you get hot flashes from menopause? Feeling hot in your head while laying down can mean an inner ear infection, and you may need antibiotics. The inner ear is a tricky thing sort of like a small pin that can become out of line, and cause the whole machine to get out of wack.There are also auto-immune diseases of the inner ear that can cause vertigo. DID YOU HAVE A HEAD INJURY? I am new here also, and trying to figure everything here out, because I haven't been diagnosed yet. Maybe you should get an MRI like I am.

7. Glenn

Glenn Member

Nov 20, 2018
    Indy
    Oh, and one more important issue to think about is the mental and emotional climate you are in and how your stress and excitability level in the moment can react with your eyes and ears, and then your nervous system can cause an intense yet momentary vertigo reaction, and wipe you out. I get those too. Did you ever get a panic attack or feel imaginary pain? You can ask for an anti-depressent or tranquilizer.

8. Glenn

Glenn Member

Nov 20, 2018
    Indy
    I just read you use ear buds daily. Stop using those for awhile to see if the fullness feeling goes away in your ear.
    Pattyoh; Hello and welcome!

9. Pattyoh

Pattyoh New Member

Jan 13, 2019
    After reading what I typed it dawned on me that I should have an eye exam.

I got new progressive bifocals at a discount place about six months ago and felt they weren't as good as my last pair of glasses (that broke).

I think I am going to start with new glasses and go from there.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Glenn

Glenn Member

Nov 20, 2018
    Indy
    By coincidence, I have discount bifocals also that do not seem to fit on me right and that could be why I feel a little unbalanced also. I am taking your advice and calling my eye doc tomorrow. I also am due for an exam. Why didn't I think of that? Thanks for reminding me. :)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  11. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    A few years ago I tried the fancy bifocals called progressives. It made my vertigo attacks and dysequilibrium worse.

I now have lots of separate glasses - TheraSpecs for computer and fluorescent lights, distance glasses for driving and walking, reading glasses, and sunglasses that fit over my distance glasses for sun glare. Crazy but it works for me!

• Like Like x 1
  12. BayMama

BayMama Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Hi Pattyoh, I get vertigo from three sources--Meniere's (MM), BPPV, and Migraine Associated Vertigo (MAV). Eye strain is the number one Migraine trigger that causes MAV for me, and getting computer glasses and progressive solved that problem. (However, each time my vision gets worse, and I need to correct it again, it's not fun.) BPPV is a great problem to have because the Epley Maneuver works so effectively. Once you know which side it is on you can do the Epley Maneuver at home. I have stopped vertigo in its tracks that way! MM is tougher. Anti-viral medications have worked great for me--but I have to have the dose right and the some generic brands of Valacyclovir haven't worked. I am taking generic Famvir now and that has been the best. The "John of Ohio" routine supports the anti-virals for me. Good wishes!

• Like Like x 1