1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

I am starting Valtrex tonight

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by RedBird11, Nov 28, 2018.

1. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Here’s my update, since I started brand name Valtrex 1000 3x per day December 19 (but also Daith piercings, TheraSpecs, and some of JOH), so nearly 4 weeks. (About the same time as Redbird started valtrex too - hope you don’t mind me sharing your thread!)

The brutal sneak attacks that were throwing me into dishwashers and out chairs and beds have subsided thank god. I’ve had a few mild short vertigo, most I didn’t need to take any meds.

I’ve been to the art school (was becoming a very consistent trigger last spring and fall) 3 times without major incident.

Whatever the improvements are due to, its at least got me well enough to get referrals to consider procedures.

I’m still eating a little nibble of clonazepam and gravol for dysequilibrium.

I was going to keep going at these heroic doses, but today my stomach is a bit acidic and sore. I’ve been more anxious, in spite of the improvements. I see that these are both potential side effects of valtrex, so I might go down to 1000 2x per day. Or should I drop more gradually, do a total of 2500?

The menierians dilemma. I’m afraid of it ramping up again.

2. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Ugh. Went down to 2500 mg for a few days and got 2 short vertigo in the middle of the night. Didn’t need any meds for them.

Barometric hell today. Enjoyed Thai food - probably too salty. Computer work. Rubber cement in the studio - stinky stuff. Sinuses stuffed at tail end of cold. So may potential triggers for...

Decided to go back up to 3000 mg today. Was hit with an out of the blue attack during the ads before a movie. The noise, flashing moving lights... kept my eyes closed while my hubby fed me clonazepam, Gravol and alcohol swabs to sniff. I felt if I tried to walk I would puke so I stuck it out. It settled enough after 30 or so minutes that I could experience most of the movie.

I’m so ready for surgery or gent. Referrals are in the works.

3. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Anne so sorry for your latest flare up. I have been where you are. I hope you can get your referral soon and get on with your life. Hope today is a better day for you. Rest is important after an attack so take it easy. Drink some chamomile tea and rest

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  4. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Got another one while driving today, in spite of being back on 3000 mg valtrex. So disappointed after the initial hope... now trying to figure out whether it’s safe to drive if I feel good, or if I need to park myself until I get some fix. That’s for another thread, I guess.

5. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    I carried on with valtrex 2000 mg during 2 1/2 weeks of travel. Had 2 brutal spins - random, or due to salty restaurant food, windy weather. And some milder episodes- also random - 5 am, one while sitting relaxing on the lanai, etc.

There’s my update.

6. teesdale

teesdale Active Member

Oct 24, 2014
    Redbird, good luck on the TMJ route if you decide to go that way.

I would not give up on the A/Vs just yet. I went through a few brands (Mylan was definitely one of them and maybe Camber).but NorthStar seems to be the only one that works for me.

There's also a recent post that talks about vitamins B5 and B6 combining to make a real difference.

Best of luck to you.

7. Fisherman42

Fisherman42 Active Member

Sep 5, 2014
    Illinois
    When I started on Acyclovir It was a gradual reduction in symptoms over 30-60 days but the vertigo attacks became less and the ringing died down never completely went away, and the fullness left. Good Luck!

8. Jedirusty

Jedirusty New Member

Apr 8, 2019

Did you have lots of fullness and did you see any relief from that after being on anitvirals?

9. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Jedirusty
    I’ve had fullness in my right ear since it’s sudden onset in 2008. I didn’t notice any difference in it since being on the Valtrex.

10. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014

FWIW, I think the antivirals got rid of my distortion, tinnitus and balance issues. The fullness in my ear i believe responded to my allergy shots. It takes months and years though. Now 12 years down the road and fine (knock on wood) for years.

11. Ponx54

Ponx54 New Member

Aug 21, 2018
    Hi June. Like you I have CH. could you please share with us what your anti-viral dosage regime was when you started ??

12. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    I started with 400 mg acyclovir, 5 times a day, that os 2000 a day prescribed by my family dr. With acyclovir it is i important to spread it evenly throughout the day. It does not persist like valtrex and famvir. I did this for a couple months. Later i was rxed famvir by Dr Derebery at House Ear. i forget the dosage. I know the first week it was a kind of double dose of what it was from then on. Sorry i do not remember but i am sure others here who go to Dr Derebery do. It takes a while - months - so if you see any improvement at all the first month keep going if you can. Keep watching the over all trend. Do not give up because of a setback. There will be setbacks along the way.

13. Robertwhalley

Robertwhalley New Member

Dec 28, 2019
    Hi June could I ask do you have to keep taking antivirals for life, and if not do you take anything now just as a precaution kind regards Rob

14. teesdale

teesdale Active Member

Oct 24, 2014
    Rob, from what I've read on this site, combating the virus is a life-long journey but it does not necessarily mean being on a prescription drug all your life.

JOH, who invented a vitamin regime probably close to 20 years ago to combat the virus, no longer takes his regime because he has found relief through a complex B Formula vitamin.

There is a recent post entitiled, "Alternative Anti Virals" in which JonBubo provides some pretty specific virus behaviors which may indicate that you need to combat the virus on multiple fronts.

As for me, I've been on JOH for most of the past 12 years and antivirals for the past few years. I've had lengthy periods of relief but had a terrible summer and fall this year with symptoms 4-5 times a week. Now the last month has been symptom free. I started the B Formula vitamin and a Monolaurin/Vitamin C mix, along with L-Lysine a couple of months ago. Not sure if the new stuff I've been taking is responsible or it's just another temporary respite from the misery but I am hopeful for some sustained relief.

Best of health to you in the New Year!

• Like Like x 1