1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Does this mean my AV's failed?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Fisherman42, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Fisherman42

Fisherman42 Active Member

Sep 5, 2014
    Illinois
    Hi everyone, I've been on Acyclovir for about 16 months now and I've been attack free. All of a sudden the other day out of nowhere I had a major attack spinning, sweats, hands and arms numb, the whole boat. Since then my head has been woozy, headaches on and off not much of an appetite and I want to sleep all the time. Can anyone tell me if this means my AV's are no good now? Did the disease find a way around them or is it possible to have a relapse and then recover back to where I was? If anyone could shed any light it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    I haven't been on Acyclovir as long as you have, but I have noticed relapses. I have cochlear hydrops in my remaining ear and will occasionally get a week where the distortion, hyperacusis, and diminished hearing in general become bad again. My current stretch of this has been two weeks, but it's diminishing back to normal at the moment. When it happens, I double my daily intake of Acyclovir from 1600mg/day to 3200mg/per day, spread evenly throughout the day. I also take 3000mg of L-Lysine/day on an empty stomach. While disappointing, I have accepted these setbacks can/will occur and I aggressively fight back with the help of my neuro who will pretty much give me anything I ask for to save my remaining ear. I also am open to taking any supplements anyone has success with here in an attempt to duplicate successful results and attack this beast from as many directions as possible--Just recently started taking Monolaurin and Olive Leaf Extract, but am unsure of the results at this point. Hang in and take care.

3. teesdale

teesdale Active Member

Oct 24, 2014
    I believe you indicated that you are on a generic. Check the manufacturer of your latest batch. I went through a stretch when I was getting no relief and I lucked out and got back on the one generic that I know works for me - NorthStar brand. Also, I find it tough staying on the proper dosage. During my last relapse (after 17 months symptom-free) I noticed that my 90-day prescription was only half-depleted even though the 90 days were up. I had inadvertently dropped to half my maintenance dosage. After an extended period of health, it's easy to get sloppy.

Best of luck getting back to good health!

4. Shari

Shari New Member

Feb 18, 2019
    TN
    I just went through this very same thing but things are getting better. I was so shocked and disappointed since I have been relatively symptom free for several years now. I would get occasional bouts of light symptoms but it wasn't too disruptive to my life. Then, bam! It's all back. I have doubled up on my valacyclovir and started taking additional immune support supplements. I'm also going to add a few new ones. So, hang in there. You may want to double your dosage and see if that helps.

5. Fisherman42

Fisherman42 Active Member

Sep 5, 2014
    Illinois
    Thanks Shari sounds exactly what I’m going through right now. I’ve already upped my Acyclovir and Lysine to full dosage but I feel awful still. Been taking at least one Valium a day because of tremors that keep coming. Do you take more than 3000mg per day of valacyclovir?