1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Small Talk

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by Maggie, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Animals are like kids! It’s Never boring with them.
    It has been 53 F today in London and I have noticed some plants coming out of the ground. It’s too early for them! It’s only January.
    Big hugs

2. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    I keep thinking I want a puppy, a little female dachshund, and I'm going to name her Phoebe. It's all just perfect--in my mind. I'm afraid if I get one, I'll regret it with the house training and all. Feeling that way, I guess I shouldn't be getting a dog.

We got our first significant snow of the winter. It snowed all of Friday night and all day yesterday. It was so peaceful to watch it fall and pretty to look at it by the light of the street lights, glistening and untouched. Today it's all ugly and mucked up, so I'm ready for it to melt away.

Oh, Marta. Poor hamster.

3. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    Hi Cheryl,

Good to “see” you. Fresh snow is always lovely until the road crews get out and mess it up. It was gorgeous here, today; sunny and -3C. The pooch and I got out for a 3k walk.

Marta,

That’s not good to have plants sprouting already. Hopefully it doesn’t turn really cold and they freeze off. We’ve been watchingseveral episodes Escape to the Country. Every time they show houses in the Cotswolds or Cornwall I want to buy one and emigrate. The countryside in both areas is gorgeous.

Anne,

I’m going to look up those scenes you were in. Your experience sounds fascinating. I haven’t watched Heartland, but I want to find those episodes.

All my chores are done and supper is in the oven so I get to quilt guilt free until it’s time to eat. Then my dear spouse will clean up so I can quilt some more.

• Like Like x 1
  4. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Let me know if you find me, Mel! I also was an extra in the movie Passchendaele.

Quilting sounds fun! I just started a course in Dyeing and Painting on Fabric. Hopefully I will be well enough to do it. I loved weaving. I may need to buy a loom someday... but my studio space is already overrun with unfinished projects.

Marta, I had lunch in the Cotswolds last spring! My hubby has family in Cuddington. We also visited Devon... beautiful oceanside and countryside. The highlight of my trip was visiting the Donkey Sanctuary.
    Happy Sunday!

5. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    So nice to see you Cheryl! It must have been magical being able to watch the snow. I have always loved doing so, staying inside my house of course . Despite the love for snow I hope we shall not see it here this winter. Everything comes to a standstill in GB with the first flake on the ground. Absolutely crazy!
    Melc , hats off to all beautiful ladies who can and have the patience to quilt. I am not one of them and I don’t think I will ever be. If you happen to have a photo of your final product I am more than happy to see it
    AnneT I have never been to Cuddington but the English countryside is absolutely stunning. If you ever happen to be there again we could meet up in London for a cuppa as it’s not far away.
    I am waving at you all my beautiful ladies . Have a great Monday! It’s bedtime over here, all dark and cold.
    See you soon

• Like Like x 1
  6. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    Anne,

After you’re finished with dyeing and painting on the fabric what do you do with the fabric? It sounds interesting. When you were in Devon did you have a cream tea? I had a gazillion of them when we were in Devon and Cornwall. I wish I could find clotted cream here. It’s probably just as well that I can’t. Don’t get me started on sticky toffee pudding.

Marta,

Have you been to Rock and Sole Plaice in Covent Garden? It has the best fish and chips. It’s a bit spendy but we thought it was worth it. The very best was when we were in Southend-on -Sea. We were starving and found a little hole in the wall chippie. It was awesome.

Cheryl is an awesome quilter. She does the best piecework. I haven’t a clue how to post a picture here but I’ll give it a go when I get a chance.

Hope everyone is feeling good today. Happy Tuesday!

7. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    I am not a great fan of fish and chips but I would have them occasionally. Until a few years ago you could find shops that would wrap up your chips in a newspaper! I find it quite gross.
    I love clotted cream ice cream! Each country has something special. What the special ice cream you have where you live?
    When I was in Sweden my aunt served long milk for breakfast. It’s a speciality of the area where they live and it’s a kind of very mild natural yogurt that resembles toffee when you pour it out. You need a bit of time to fill up your bowl! Delicious, absolutely unique!

Waving at everyone Tuesday is nearly over for me

8. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Marta,
    who knows, maybe a meetup will be possible! We will not be in London proper, but do have 2 nights at some Heathrow hotel, on our way in and back home.

MelC
    It seems like a lot of traditional Japanese methods of dyeing - so kimonos, or I guess you could make any item of clothing, scarves, bags, etc. We will start with cotton and indigo - pretty much what jeans are made of.

9. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Anne that would be awesome!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    Marta,

I will have to google long milk. I’ve never heard of it. Clotted cream ice cream sounds delicious. I guess our special ice cream would be maple syrup and bacon. I’ve never seen it in the grocery store but I’ve had it from the specialty ice cream trucks.

Anne,

Your fabric sounds wonderful.

Have a good weekend everyone

11. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Awww donkey nannies. I miss the donkeys I met at that Donkey Sanctuary. What a beautiful, peaceful place. Some sighted donkeys were paired up with blind donkeys. They would guide their blind buddies around to find food, to find people who want to pet them etc. Amazing beasties.

12. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    That must have been an awesome experience, Anne. I agree that donkeys are great animals. Humans could take some lessons from them.

13. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    They are so cute! I haven’t had much to do with donkeys but I believe all animals are special in certain ways. Thank you for sharing Melc.
    Hope all is good with!

14. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
  15. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Last week myself and hubby planted some plants in front of our house. We bought a climbing rose which at the moment looks like random dry sticks. Nevertheless it’s out there waiting for spring. I also bought 2 primulas. I hope I got the name right. Guess what I discovered having come back home today !? Someone liked those two plants so much they decided to steal them! I was speechless! They left two big holes in the ground. Who would have done it?

16. bill

bill New Member

Aug 1, 2014
    Ormond Beach
    boy oh boy Maggie, you are right, sometimes I get so tired of explaining meniers things tha "slow" me down.

17. bill

bill New Member

Aug 1, 2014
    Ormond Beach
    seriously.....

• Like Like x 1
  18. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Marta
    What a drag! I hope it doesn’t stop you from enjoying the garden

• Like Like x 1
  19. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    What wild animals live around you???

I just looked out of the window and I saw my fox neighbour. There are plenty of them in London. Literally there is not a day I would not see a fox.

In Berlin and Hanover there are rabbits in the parks. Loads of them!

What animals can you encounter where you live?
    Obviously I am not mentioning birds and rats as they are everywhere
    Have a good weekend