1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Does Meclizine Work For You?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by zotjen, Oct 16, 2014.

1. zotjen

zotjen Member

May 12, 2014
    I've been reading a lot of conflicting and contradicting information on Meclizine, especially it's effectiveness for treating vertigo. I'm curious as to what others' experience is with it. Also, is there any difference between the prescribed version and the over-the counter?

2. marion

marion Member

May 27, 2014
    Meclizine has not helped me, in fact just the opposite. Doesn't matter whether prescription or OTC. I believe it has worked for some, therefore, you need to try it for yourself.

3. Lulu

Lulu Member

May 12, 2014
    Hi zotjen

Meclizine has never helped me when I've had a vertigo attack but it (sometimes) works pretty well when I'm just a little dizzy, wonky or nauseous.

I've taken both prescription and OTC and I can't tell any difference between the two. They both work the same for me.

4. nicmger

nicmger Member

May 12, 2014
    For my full on vertigo attacks where the room is spinning round and round...NO. Meclizine does absolutely nothing for me.

However, back in April for the month I was constantly "off" and my eyes were shifting back/forth which made me nauseated and I was off balance - it took me 2 weeks to think about trying the meclizine (clearly I am not bright!) but in that case it helped immediately and I could tell as it was wearing off and would take the next dose.

So for me, the answer is both yes and no. Depends on what it is for.

For the full vertigo attack, my dr prescribed lorazapam (ativan) that I put under my tongue and it shortens the attack significantly. That works for full vertigo.

5. Vicki

Vicki Guest

it helps me with dizziness from sinus infections or whatever but has never helped me with vertigo

6. Chrisk

Chrisk Member

May 12, 2014
    Interesting, as with every thing else about MM different folks have differing results. For me when I had attacks (pre-VNS) I always had Meclizine handy in the event of an attack. In my car, in my desk at the office, in every drawer in the house, bathroom, bedroom, kitchen, etc. I even carried some in my wallet. If I sensed an attack coming on, for me I always had about 10-15 minutes of warning, I would pop the Meclizine. It never did anything about the vertigo but it did stop and in some cases prevent the vomiting. I always had to take the pill as soon as I sensed the attack coming, if I waited for an attack it was too late and the drug did nothing for me.

The attack was still as disabling as ever, usually taking me out of commission for about 8 hours, but it did help with the vomiting, it wasn't the wonder drug in any sense of the word, but it helped a little with the one of the symptoms of my attacks.

One thing about typing this that reminds me of my pre-VNS days was that horrible, horrible feeling of the pre-attack, it started with that slight dizzy feeling that just got progressively worse until the full blown attack hit. Man did I hate that. Nothing worse than that feeling, thank God I don't have to deal with that anymore due to the VNS!

7. Karenplus8

Karenplus8 Active Member

May 12, 2014
    ohio
    this me too!

8. PleaseNoDizzy

PleaseNoDizzy Active Member

May 12, 2014
    ^Ditto most of the above. It doesn't stop vertigo for me, but in the last year or so I've had a lot of intermittent regular dizziness. It usually comes on when I have felt a slight decrease in my aural pressure. The meclazine works wonders on THAT dizziness.

9. Kat9T

Kat9T New Member

Dec 22, 2014
    I find that it does work if I take it early enough, as Chrisk said. I have better luck with it preventing the rest of the symptoms, not just the vomiting. It makes me feel a bit "out of it" but the room isn't spinning and I can still function. I try not to take it too often, hate that dry mouth sleepy feeling.

10. imasteeler

imasteeler Member

May 12, 2014
    Houston
    I found it to be useful as a preventative measure last year about this time... Have taken it several times in 2014 to ward off a feeling of impending disaster... Perhaps a placebic effect, but nonetheless useful.

11. dizzyhudson

dizzyhudson New Member

Dec 21, 2014
    I never found it to be helpful, but I admit that I havent tried it in decades.

12. source3

source3 New Member

Jul 28, 2014
    Durango, Colorado USA
    Slight sensation of dizziness meclizine works for me. If I feel a stronger rotational vertigo sensation an attack may be coming on so I take 2mg of Valium rather than meclizine. If this first dose of valium does not reduce symptoms I will take another 2mg of Valium and go lay down for an hour.

13. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Users of Meclizine... do you find it makes you drowsy? I got hold of some OTC while in California (prescription here in Alberta) and am going to try it for my day to day wobbling.

14. Fisherman42

Fisherman42 Active Member

Sep 5, 2014
    Illinois
    I use it in conjunction with my Lorezapam when having an a attack it helps with the upset stomach but it doesn't do anything for the vertigo when taken alone.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Robert Wilson

Robert Wilson Member

Feb 7, 2019
    Similar to some of the above, I think it has helped me with light interim dizziness, but it doesn't do anything against a full vertigo attack.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. three4rd

three4rd Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Personally, I don't care for it. All that stuff - dramamine, bonine, etc. causes varying degrees of drowsiness for me. I much prefer to use Divertigo essential oils - would never be without it.