1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

What are you doing right now?......

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by Bittersweetvenom, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    I hope you have a fun and relaxing trip, Anne.

I’m cuddling with my dog and warming up with a coffee. It is -36 C here with a windchill of -49. I just got back from volunteering at the school’s breakfast program. My son walked from home (50 minute walk) to help me. I offered him a ride but he wanted to walk. He’d rather take his chances with Mother Nature than mother driver. Ha ha.

We fed 120 kids a good breakfast before school. Feels good.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Melc
    I can’t believe he didn’t get frostbite! He must have some good gear!

Your breakfast thing... sounds wonderful. What a good thing to do. I hope I get well enough to be useful again!

3. Just finished up a kick a$$ game

4. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    The night with my mother went well. We watched the U.S. Figure Skating Championship, featuring the great, three-time champion, Nathan Chen. He was the only guy that didn't fall. And I think the only one who not only attempted but successfully completed a quad. My mother thought his blouse was poorly chosen. It's quite something to maintain the number one position in the skating world while attending Yale.

I managed to get my house cleaned up for her in the last hour. It's pretty pitiful, those times, where the clock ticking down is your only motivating factor. One thing I've learned from my procrastinating ways, especially with brain fog, is to pack for trips the day before. My suitcase is waiting for me at the door the next morning. It really makes things nice.

Actually, I've gone a step further because I'm a prepping freak. I always have a suitcase packed and hide it in the coat closet by the door. I get a call that dad has passed, and I'm in the car with my suitcase in 5 minutes, ready for a 4 day sleepover with mom.

I took her to dinner. By the time we left my house it was dark so she couldn't see the popcorn throughout the car. It was everywhere because whenever I go to Target I get their popcorn and Diet Coke. I love that combo. I always tell the cashier to only fill the bag halfway. Because of the sodium, and for some reason too much popcorn messes my guts. I think corn must have lots of fiber.

But the cashiers are generous to a fault and fill the bags nearly to the top. I was sipping Coke and munching on popcorn while driving and I couldn't stop munching because it's popcorn. So after a few handfuls I grabbed the bag from the bottom and tossed the popcorn out the window. But the back window was open and the air sucked it all back in. Popcorn swirling everywhere. It looked like a moth invasion. I'm still finding kernels in the nooks and crannies to this day.

I took her to my favorite Mexican restaurant and tried to talk her into sitting at the bar so we could watch the ballgame. She said ok. But once she sat down she changed her mind and said "Pupper I didn't come all this way to see you to sit at a bar." I guess mom's aren't big on bars. They like to sit down all nice at a private table with a candle. I personally do not enjoy eye contact so I prefer a bar. She talked about her friends dying.

We came home and lay in bed and she talked more about people dying. And coming back as ghosts. I don't believe in ghosts but I didn't get contentious. She slept over and left the next morning. She almost backed into my mailbox which is made of concrete and rocks. My driveway is sloped and curved. She kept forwarding and reversing. It was really a minor fiasco. I had to stand at the top of the driveway and direct her with my hands like those guys at the airport. I should not have tried to sit her at a bar and I should have backed her car out of the driveway for her. But other than me being a heel in those instances we had a pleasant time.

5. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    This was Nathan Chen's winning routine.

6. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Pupper,
    You should write a novel or a sitcom! I loved your story about you and your mom, so relatable. Something poetic Abou her need to talk about dead people. I like morbid stuff.

7. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Thanks AnneT, I'm glad you liked my comment. I really need to try and see my parents more often. I'm told that when a parent dies...well, obviously it's a bad feeling. But they say it's especially bad if you didn't see them as often as you could have. Some people urge you to tell them you love them every time you see them. My mother has recently begun slipping in a quick "love you" on the down-low upon parting. Me and my dad never say it and we're both super ok keeping it that way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Some evil pleasure in eating buttery popcorn while watching people starve on Survivor

9. Returned from Iowa

Just finished unpacking

10. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Funny as hell.

Do you remember a show called You Can't Do That on Television?

11. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    I don’t know that one. What was it about?

12. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016

13. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    I ask because you're from Alberta. It was a kid's show in the 80's. Growing up in Toledo we could pick up a Canadian station. It wasn't great. It was actually pretty stupid. Just a silly after-school show. It gave me my first realization that Canadians talk funny. I had a big crush on Moose. The trademark of the show was people suddenly getting "slimmed" in mid-conversation.

14. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    Agreed, Pupper it was a stupid show. You mean slimed I assume. I would love to get slimmed in mid conversation right now. If only it were that easy!

15. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    That tv show must be a Canadian embarrassment! Yikes!

Today I’m rearranging the snow and ice so it will melt faster. Bring on spring!

16. Fisherman42

Fisherman42 Active Member

Sep 5, 2014
    Illinois
    Strumming my guitar

• Like Like x 1
  17. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Trying to eat chicken while fending off my cat

18. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    Nursing my poor dog who has to stay immobile as possible for a month. She has disc disease and may lose the use of her back legs. We took her to the emergency vet in Calgary on Sunday expecting that she was to have surgery. They want to try anti inflammatory and bed rest first to see if that will help.

Poor little mite has so many problems. I’m so glad we rescued her so we can look after her.

19. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Sending hugs Melc. Poor puppy.

20. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    Thank you, Anne. At least she’s not in pain. She’s just bewildered and doesn’t understand why she can’t move.