1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Supplement Question

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by AmyLeigh, Apr 10, 2019.

1. AmyLeigh

AmyLeigh Member

Mar 26, 2019
    Hi all! I am currently starting the JOH regimen along with B5 and B6. It's been two weeks now and I've noticed no real difference. I know it takes time, and I plan to stick with it for at least 3/4 months. But in the meantime I'm also doing other research. I came across the webpage www.menieres-help.com (I'm sure y'all have seen it). Has anyone tried that supplement regimen with success? There are a lot of testimonials on the site claiming that it works, and there's a lot of crossover with the JOH regimen, but I was just curious. Thanks!

The supplements suggested are as follows:
    Strong Antioxidants
    Ginko
    Grape Seed Extract
    Calcium
    CoQ10
    Omega Oil
    Lipoflavonid

Does anyone think there's any harm in doing this along with JOH (as it's only a few extra pills)? Any input would be helpful - thanks all!

2. solari

solari MM.org Janitor Staff Member

Admin Post
    Tagging @John of Ohio to see if he has any input..

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Amy,

I would get your hands on antivirals asap. If you are under the age of 50 there is a really good chance your MM is caused by a virus. I would find a doctor who will give you 3 pills of Valtrex or Famvir per day for months or even years if need be. I would also take the supplements and get as healthy (lifestyle) as possible.

Its not a cure. There is none. But it can help. Good luck.

Mac

4. AmyLeigh

AmyLeigh Member

Mar 26, 2019
    Mac - thanks for your input! So I talked to my ENT about antivirals and he basically told me that he won't prescribe them because they aren't meant for long-term use. Kind of like an antibiotic, only meant to be taken for a few days then stopped. I don't know if that's because your body could get immune to them or they could cause any other health issue? Maybe I'll start a separate post about that because I really am interested in what other people's ENT's have said about antivirals. Thank you!

5. John of Ohio

John of Ohio Active Member

May 17, 2014
    I see no conflict (nor much real benefit) with combining my regimen with the things listed in the other approach. Don't see that any of those directly suppress herpes viruses, the primary cause of about 80% of Meniere's cases (in my considered opinion).

But feel free to give them a try. If relief is gained, very good.

--John of Ohio

• Like Like x 2
  6. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Amy,

I would find a new doctor.

Your doctor is not alone. Most are in his camp. Take some time and look through the years of threads here about antivirals.

You think Magic Johnson doesnt take his antivirals? You think he took them for a week? Your ENT is a trained surgeon. He knows very little about the cause of your issue. It’s up to you to get better.

Take some time. Do some research on here. Good luck!

Mac

7. teesdale

teesdale Active Member

Oct 24, 2014
    I concur with Mac. My primary doctor was reluctant to prescribe the A/V's but I brought the Dr. Gacek report with me, looked him in the eyes and said, "I don't want to live like this any more." He said, "Then we have to do something about this." I went on 3000mg of valacylovir for a couple months and then down to 2000mg maintenance dose. My only setbacks have come when I fail to maintain the 2000mg daily dosage.

Also, if you must go with a generic brand A/V, you have to be aware that not all generics are created equal. If you do not get relief, be patient and try a different brand. I have found great relief with the NorthStar brand.

Best of luck to you.

8. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Elvis took antivirals and look what happened to HIM.

kidding

9. AmyLeigh

AmyLeigh Member

Mar 26, 2019
    Haha @Pupper

Ok I have done some research on this forum about the AV's and I think I'm going to post another thread with a few lingering questions before I dive in. Thanks for all of the input. And thank you JOH for getting back to me about the additional supplements - I really do appreciate everyone's help. Y'all truly give me hope.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Robert Wilson

Robert Wilson Member

Feb 7, 2019
    Amy, I started on the above course before I found the JOH regimen. I thought it helped. I thought JOH helped more.

My symptoms aren't gone, but I'm definitely better than I was before I started on those regimens.

A lot of those supplements are good for you anyway. I think the CoQ10 in particular (and magnesium) can help if your symptoms have a migraine component, which I believe mine do.

I have not yet started anti virals. I may do so in a few weeks if some other things I'm trying don't get this fully under control. My doctor would only give me 3 weeks of them, and I was afraid that taking 3 weeks worth then quitting might be worse than not starting. I may start and beg him for more, or I may have to look for another doc.

11. srmophett

srmophett New Member

Feb 12, 2018
    louisiana
    Not trying to scare anyone, but as someone who has moderately reduced kidney function, be sure that as often as you get blood work done, get your eGFR also. Basically tells you the health of your kidneys and antivirals, lysine, and B6 have been attributed to reduced renal function and failure. I am proposing some of this to my Kidney doctor and see what kind of reaction he gives me. It could be worth the risk/tradeoff.

• Like Like x 1
  12. AmyLeigh

AmyLeigh Member

Mar 26, 2019
    Thanks for the heads up @srmophett - keep me posted on what your Kidney doc says!

13. Rgv

Rgv Member

Mar 30, 2019
    For JOH,,,,
    John what if you tested negative for herpes virus, do you still need the first vitamin or not?
    Thnx

14. John of Ohio

John of Ohio Active Member

May 17, 2014
    Specifically, which vitamin do refer to?

More importantly, a negative herpes test simply does not mean that your Meniere's isn't caused by an active herpes infection in the inner ear. Blood tests are not able to universally detect inner ear herpes infections.

--John of Ohio

15. Rgv

Rgv Member

Mar 30, 2019
    Thanks John, had no clue
    Was referring to l-lysine
    Will add it, got 2 others today