1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Diagnosed with Ménière’s and had the gentamicin injection

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Derek, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Derek

Derek New Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Hello people, I’ve had a hearing loss for the past 10 years I’ve been wearing hearing aids for the past 10 years over the past couple of years that tinnitus and fullNess has been more prevalent over the past nine months my hearing in my left ear has gone real bad and my left ear has tinnitus and a block fullness in ear.
    I’ve had 3 to 4 drop attacks which prompted me to go to mass Eye and ear in Boston after numerous tests and four different visits to mass eye and ear Ménière’s disease was diagnosed.
    After talking to the doctors and looking at the tests he Gentamicin shot was given to me.
    I have been feeling nauseous and dizzy since the shot it’s Been 10 days and I’m still nauseous and dizzy I talked to the doctor as mass Eye and Ear and said that is normal and you got to wait it out. very frustrated hopefully this shot will straighten me out it’s very difficult to work to understand conversation very difficult to never know when you’re going to fall down, Very difficult to live my life frustrated with the future do not know what the future holds with my Ménière’s disease

2. Clare

Clare Active Member

Mar 31, 2018
    It's too bad your doctor didn't explain the likelihood of this before your injection. The good news is that it probably means your vestibular system is being destroyed (the goal of the gent injection) and the vertigo episodes will end. But the temporary bad news is that you've got to retrain your brain to accommodate to the loss of the balance function in that ear, and that takes some time. If you try to keep active by doing things like walking every day, even a little; or if you see a vestibular therapist and do the prescribed exercises, you will see improvement each week.

I chose a labyrinthectomy, which took out my balance completely and suddenly; the gentamicin injection is more gradual and perhaps not as drastic, as I understand. Recovering my balance was a slow process but with continual improvement over the five or six months. I had been forewarned by both my surgeon and by what I'd read on this forum, and that helped a lot to give me optimism.

This past week I have been gardening like crazy -- something I enjoy immensely but could not do for the past couple of years because of the vertigo. It was tough to make the decision for destructive treatment, but I'm so glad I did. I hope you will see it the same way over the next few months.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. Riplip

Riplip Member

Mar 16, 2018
    NH
    I am sorry to hear what you are going through. I also go to Mass Eye and Ear for the same thing. My doctor is Devenicia and he also would like me to get a Gent injection and get a Cochlear Implant. He told me it would be fine for a day or two after the injection and then a week to two of very uncomfortable times if the injection starts to work. If you feel nothing then it didn't do anything. I think you are on the right path. I have not committed to the injection yet. Keep us up to date on how you feel it will help others and there are many many people on here that have been down the same road and they will be able to answer your questions. I know its hard but keep your head up!

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Clare is right on with her description of how the gent shot works. I am a patient at Mass Eye and Ear and I had a gent shot. It works exactly as Clare explained. The best advice is to walk as much as you can every day. Walk on different terrain using walking sticks until you are comfortable walking on your own. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

5. Derek

Derek New Member

Apr 22, 2019

6. Derek

Derek New Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Well guys it’s been a couple more days my dizziness has subsided somewhat, I still walk around with my hands out, the fullness in my ear actually has gone down, The tinnitus is still there and prevalent, but my hearing has actually gotten a little better because of the fullness not being there, nauseous feeling on the tongue and unsure of myself probably 40% of the time feeling better hopefully the shot will just take right over my Ménière’s disease and will have been done with it not really done with that you know what I mean I’m watching my diet no alcohol not that I was a big drinker but I’m trying to do everything I can to stay straight so far I think we’re going in the right path

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1