1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Headphones/Ear Buds

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Homer, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Homer

Homer New Member

Apr 21, 2017
    I've discovered that wearing headphones and ear buds has made my meinere's worse. Has anyone else experienced this and if you have, are there any headphones that don't make you feel off? I've noticed ear buds are definitely worse than headphones but headphones are still bad enough that I don't like having them on for too long.

2. zotjen

zotjen Member

May 12, 2014
    When you say your Meniere's gets worse, what exactly happens? The only issue I sometimes have is that my tinnitus gets worse but this can be a result of listening too loud or to certain types of music (think beat heavy dance music).

You will probably want to avoid ear buds and in-ear headphones/monitors to avoid having the sound so close to your ear drum and inner ear. On or over the ear headphones are probably better, with open as opposed to closed backs.

Despite having some hearing loss and distortion in my left ear, I don't really notice it all that much when listening to headphones as the right side somehow compensates for it. There are some days though when the distortion is really bad and then it's almost pointless to try and listen with headphones.

3. Homer

Homer New Member

Apr 21, 2017
    I tend to feel dizzy if I have them on too long.

4. elfridaauston87

elfridaauston87 New Member

Apr 20, 2019
    hey, Yes I don't like using headphones because it causes pain in my ear.

About the earbuds, I am using them because I am a rider and because of loud sound produces by my racer.
    Mine earbuds are too comfortable and I bought them from Reecoupons.com at an affordable price

5. Fisherman42

Fisherman42 Active Member

Sep 5, 2014
    Illinois
    Don’t notice any dizzy issues when I use my earbuds it helps sometimes to take a break from only hearing my tinnitus.

6. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    I thought buds would make me dizzy. But I NEED podcasts/music when at the gym or hiking. I wasn't gonna let MM take EVERYTHING from me. So I said, "screw it, put them in and power through." Turns out it doesn't bother me. Maybe it was my the-hell-with-it attitude.

7. Riplip

Riplip Member

Mar 16, 2018
    NH
    I use ear buds as well at the gym and biking and running. My tinnitus gets louder but i just turn up the Bose ear buds and thats the only way I can listen to any type of music. Some days are clearer than others but always after the gym the roaring in both ears is so much louder for. I think it has to do with getting the heart rate up and the blood pressure in the ear. It doesn't seem to make me dizzy though. Working out keeps the mind off it or at least i tricked myself to think that haha!

8. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    When my attacks are frequent, I can’t handle my earbuds. As things settle, I can use them again on walks - a good sign for me.

But yes I’m starting to get protective and careful not to blast my good ear.

9. Brother_of_Nool

Brother_of_Nool Member

May 24, 2019
    New York
    My Meniere’s makes it hard to hear from one ear most of the time (low volume, heavy distortion, tinnitus). I feel as though earbuds may may it worse since my ear usually feels more plugged up after using them. I tend not to use them anymore. However, my ear was feeling better, so I gave them a try. I stopped when things started to go downhill.