1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Low sodium not working

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Adam, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Adam

Adam New Member

Apr 12, 2019
    Have had Ménière symptoms over the past 5 years, but only just been diagnosed. The ent told me to go on a low sodium diet. Tried this for nearly 2 months with 3-4 vertigo attacks happening weekly ranging from 4 hours to over 24 hours and feeling light head at all other times.
    I have gone back to eating normal diet. Excess of more than 3000mg sodium per day and haven’t had a vertigo attack for more than 3 days.
    Doing a journal to rule out other triggers.

Has anyone else found a low sodium diet has done nothing for them either, and are now also eating normal sodium diet.
    How do u get rid of the light head feeling?

2. Fisherman42

Fisherman42 Active Member

Sep 5, 2014
    Illinois
    Low sodium did nothing for me I can eat what I want and it has no effect on my MM. Antivirals did the trick for me.

• Like Like x 1
  3. twodogs

twodogs Member

Jul 26, 2018
    It is common that a low sodium diet does nothing for people. It is someting docs say because they don't know what else to say. I say this from knowing many people on several forums and my personal experience over many years.

4. Adam

Adam New Member

Apr 12, 2019
    What type and quantities of antivirals works for you and the duration?

5. Fisherman42

Sep 5, 2014
    Illinois
    Gonna break this in 2 parts:

Two dogs, low sodium does work for some people just not me not sure why just doesn’t. That’s the standard approach when the first diagnosis comes in usually.

Adam, you want to do a search for Dr. Gacek on the forum to get the exact quantity and duration for AV’s but I will try to quote from memory. You start with 1000mg 3x per day for 3-4 weeks and then taper down to a maintenance dose that fits you once symptoms have subsided. I take 1000mg 2x a day because anything lower my symptoms creep back, some can drop to 1000mg and keep everything at bay. I take Mylan but others here I know swear by Northstar and some others. Mylan worked for me Camber for sure didn’t.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rebecca

Rebecca Member

Jan 19, 2019
    Have any of you tried Betahistine? I'm now taking 16mg in AM and 8 mg in afternoon. (ENT wanted to start slow. Took 8mg once daily for about 3 weeks, the 16 mg once daily for two weeks, now added the third 8mg tab the last few days). I take 500 mg Valacyclovir, (generic of Valtrex), twice daily and 100 mg L-Lysine twice daily. also been on a natural form of vitamin B's for over a month. Also a water pill. All this and a low sodium, low sugar, (carbohydrate), diet. This disease has been kicking my butt for almost 4 months after being able to manage it on a low sodium diet with a water pill for almost 15 years. The tinnitus seems to be traveling to the other ear, as well.

7. Rich

Rich Member

Apr 21, 2019
    West Virginia
    Lysine seems low most start with 3000mg a day taken at intervals of 1000 mg three times a day. You might want to check you b vitamin and make sure your getting at least 100 mg each of B6 and B5, I personally have those 2 vitamins separate from my B12 because I want to make sure that I'm getting them. As as your betahistin it's not available here in the States unless you have it compounded which is expensive....now if you live somewhere where you can buy it over the counter, if you want to send me some I'd be more than glad to give it a try.. lol

8. Adam

Adam New Member

Apr 12, 2019
    Taking 3 by 16mg betahistine per day. Sometime through an extra one in there on a bad day. To be honest once I have an attack not sure if the betahistine does anything to help.
    Giving natural therapy ago next week for something different.
    Make it hard to know what medication/vitamins works as Meniere goes and and out of remission (for some quicker than others).

9. Fisherman42

Sep 5, 2014
    Illinois
    I tried it had a local compounding pharmacy fill it for me think I paid around 40$ for it. That said had no affect on me so I quit taking it.

10. Rgv

Rgv Member

Mar 30, 2019
    Low sodium has done nothing for me except make me look sick, lost 6 lbs of salt weight. Love my stomach but hate my face. Going back to moderately regular diet today

11. Anna4

Anna4 New Member

Apr 27, 2019
    Im not sure im posting in the right place since im new at this. I am in desperate need to find out some information about Meniere’s. My story is 3 weeks ago I took a flight and had that airplane feeling after I got off. It has since never went away and the sound in my ear is at times horrible, almost feels more like a vibration. I have had 3 vertigo attacks since them that are down right scary. I am very active and this has been horrible to deal with. I have seen the ENT and ER and have had hearing test, CT and MRI’s done. CT was normal, hearing showed slight loss of the effected ear (although I am 48yrs old so not sure if this is just my age). Waiting on the MRI results now but the ENT is saying its Meniere’s and quite frankly this is pretty scary to deal with. I wanted to hear from others that have had my experiences and see how they are handling this. Someone please help

12. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Oh my goodness you sound so sad and scared. So take a deep breath and know you have come to the right place to get answers to your questions and support. We are here for you so tell us your fears and your concerns and let us guide you

13. Anna4

Anna4 New Member

Apr 27, 2019
    How do you live with it? How do you manage it?

14. redwing1951

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    First you need a definite diagnosis that it is menieres. You need to see a neurotologist, a doctor who specializes in the ear,balance system and brain. A teaching hospital if you live near one would be a great place to start
    For example if you live in the NE area Mass Eye and Ear is a great place to start.
    Stress plays a huge role in menieres and I understand you are very stressed right now. On this forum you will receive a lot of knowledge from people who have been in your shoes
    Research the data base. Ask questions we are here for you.

Jave

15. Anna4

Anna4 New Member

Apr 27, 2019
    Thanks for the info. I think the most stressful part of this is the vertigo attacks I have had. They come out of no where and last about 45 minutes. This is the most unsettling part of it. No knowing when it will start. I have another appt with ENT in a little over a week. They are doing another type of hearing test where they put warm and cold water in my ears and test something. Is this something you had done or heard of?

16. redwing1951

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Yes this is a test most of us have gone through. It will show if there is nerve damage to your ear that is causing your vertigo. You are doing all the right things by getting these tests. In the meantime try to eliminate caffein, alcohol, salt and stress. You could ask your ENT for a prescription of a low dose of valuim 2 mg. Place it under your tongue when you feel a vertigo attack is coming on. It will settle down your vestibular nerve and hopefully lessen the severity of the attack.

I have been in your shoes and I was scared to death when I researched meniers. But by researching this forum I discovered there is hope. So hold on to that!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Anna4

Anna4 New Member

Apr 27, 2019
    Thank you so much for the info. Doing my research has made me freak out more because i see more negative than positives. Im still trying to navigate this site as it seems a bit confusing. They gave me meclizine to take when the episodes come on but dont know if it works or if it just goes away on its own. Will the Valium be a better medication?

Thank you for the hope

18. redwing1951

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Meclizine did nothing for me. Low dose valuim 2 mgs made a difference. This disease is scary when one is first diagnosed for sure. I think you should introduce yourself in a new thread and you will have more people notice your post and receive some positive advice. Many people have had great success with anti viral medication. Many have had success with supplements and when all else fails some like me have selected surgery to end the vertigo. But surgery should be done only when all options fail. I can tell you fist hand you can and will find a way out of this misery!

19. Anna4

Anna4 New Member

Apr 27, 2019
    How do i post in the new thread?

20. redwing1951

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Go to the top of the posts and on the right you will see New Post. Title it something like "New Member seeking answers" or something like that. Introduce yourself and your concerns than select post. That should do it.