1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

MD and Altitude

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by AmyLeigh, Apr 29, 2019.

1. AmyLeigh

AmyLeigh Member

Mar 26, 2019
    Hi all! I'm looking for any input from people who have travelled to altitude (>12,000ft) with Meniere's Disease. I am hiking the Andes Mountains next week and will be at 12-15,000ft for the majority of my trip. My GP prescribed Diamox for while I'm hiking (he knows I have MD, but doesn't treat me for it - my ENT does). Has anyone traveled to high altitudes like this with MD? If so, how were your symptoms? Should I plan to take the Diamox as prescribed? Thanks!

2. PleaseNoDizzy

PleaseNoDizzy Active Member

May 12, 2014
    I live at about 6500 ft and regularly travel up to around 10k feet. When my Meniere's was at its worst, the ear fullness would definitely increase and it would take time for me to adjust. in both directions. I am now less sensitive to it post laby (but still sensitive to barometric/weather changes). Also when I was much sicker, we went up Pikes Peak (14k I think), driving, and I did get a bit of a vertigo attack when we got to the summit. It wasn't an hours long ordeal but I definitely took it easy while we were up there snapping pics.

That being said, I was on various diuretics (including Diamox) for 7 years. I don't know that a temporary dose for the trip would make a huge difference. Be really careful about staying super hydrated. That drug can really tax your system to begin with, and if you're going to altitude on top of it, that could be a real danger. Proceed with caution for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Robert Wilson

Robert Wilson Member

Feb 7, 2019
    My symptoms are very active and relatively new (10 months, though that feels long). I went snow skiing at 10-12k feet in February and felt great. Drank tons of water and watched my diet/alcohol and rest very closely. Seems to me like the lower pressure associated with higher altitude should help, but what do I know.

• Like Like x 1
  4. reptile2005

reptile2005 New Member

Nov 29, 2016
    Coming from living just above sea level every time I've been in higher elevations I've felt great (Idaho Falls, SLC, North Cascades). I'd imagine being up at 12k feet it would be even better.

• Like Like x 1
  5. srmophett

srmophett New Member

Feb 12, 2018
    louisiana
    Same here, always feel better at higher altitudes and when flying also.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dario

Dario Member

Apr 30, 2019
    Melbourne
    What about sky diving?

7. AmyLeigh

AmyLeigh Member

Mar 26, 2019
    Thank you everyone for your replies, hopefully I feel good while at altitude!

8. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    My symptoms used to get better at high @4500 ft altitude and also get better west of thr Mississippi. Not sure if it was change in pollens or pressure or if it would have lasted if i had moved to one of those places.