1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Cochlear Implants

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Riplip, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Riplip

Riplip Member

Mar 16, 2018
    NH
    I guess I'll start a new thread to to see who has had Cochlear implants one sided or two sided and your thoughts on them. If its too personal that is ok I understand. I'm already starting to get depressed about getting one. Thanks

2. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    I feel badly that you are depressed regarding the cochlear implant. I remember being so afraid of the laby and wondering what I would do if my good ear developed menieres. My OTO promised me I would never have to live a life of silence. The technology and advancement in cochlear implants is something to be excited about. I know that I have an option if my good ear goes south and that keeps me from the edepression you are experiencing. I know implants won't be perfect but it's certainly something to hold onto.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Riplip

Riplip Member

Mar 16, 2018
    NH
    Thank you Redwing. My doctor said since i'm bilateral that i should do the right ear before the the left gets active again so I feel and he feels i'll be double sided CI at some point. Not the best feeling to think about.

4. redwing1951

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    My OTO also said it would be better to do the CI before my hearing goes in my good ear. That is why we are monitoring my hearing at this point. Thankfully my hearing has been stable since the first of January.

5. Riplip

Riplip Member

Mar 16, 2018
    NH
    Thats good i hope it stays stable

6. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Thanks for starting this thread. I’ll be keeping my eye on it.

I live in Canada, but recently visited a place in England called Hearing Dogs for Deaf People. (It just happened to be on the way between heathrow and in-laws.) One of the workers talked to me about all the cool technology available now for the hearing impaired- eg having your phone vibrate when the doorbell rings, Bluetooth technology to help hear people in crowded places etc etc.

While it’s depressing to contemplate going more and more deaf, it was heartening to see the creative solutions that are possible. I’m sure they’ll boost the usefulness of CI.

My own audiologist has given me online access to a lip reading course. I’ll start it after I get home.

7. Celeste

Celeste New Member

Apr 16, 2019
    I have bilateral implants and the surgeries went very well with no problems. Hearing is MUCH better although it did take a little time and practice to reach 'normal' sounds. My problem is that several months after the second implant I developed dizziness and vertigo. This has affected my quality of life. The dizziness is with me daily and worse at times with occasional vertigo and queasiness. So far I have had no treatment for my symptoms.

8. Riplip

Riplip Member

Mar 16, 2018
    NH
    Celeste, did you have any other surgeries like a Laby or anything to fight the vertigo and dizziness prior to the CI's? Sounds like you fix your hearing before fixing the Menieres symptoms or did you only notice the dizziness and vertigo months after? I am glad to hear your hearing got better and I am sorry for the other stuff which I feel everyday as well. Thats why I think I'll be doing a Gent injection prior to the CI and if that doesn't work then I have nothing to lose with a Laby except for more days off work.

9. sjw111

sjw111 Member

Nov 3, 2016
    See my most recent post on my CI. They are medical miracles. Outpatient surgery. Hook you up two weeks later. And listening to Earth Wind and Fire on the ride home. I dont know your specifics. Like any medical thing everyone is different. I was depressed about being deaf....the CI is my ticket out of that. Please ask me anything you want. I will tell it to you straight. I have a long way to go with my CI therapy and mapping sessions. Its only been one 72 hours since activation. Today I walked away 5 miles with a 50 set playlist streaming directly into my implant. My throat was sore when I got home after singing all night 50 songs full throttle. They have come a long way with implants for sure. Outcomes are usually dependent on who does the surgery, technology used in surgery, lenght of time you were deaf, reason for deafness, mechanical changes in the ear, and mostly motivation to learn how to hear again afterwards. I can help you with equipment recommendations and some hints to help you prepare. Many now are getting them before deafness with a hybrid aid/implant....dual implants....and like me I have an unaidable other side so I am wearing a cros in that ear. Stuff now is all Bluetooth. And sophisticated programs to help you hear in difficult situations. Technology is through the roof. So take heart. A half of million people have been implanted. They work. Is it as good as original equipment....not sure....ask me again in 90 days. Today I diagnosed a failed hard drive on my iMac with my new CI. And heard a ticking clock that no one else in my family can hear even if they put their ear up to it. I’m the bionic man. I love it. Hang tight holler if you need me. Sid

• Like Like x 3
  10. redwing1951

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    You made my day by the above post Sid. My doc told me before I had my laby that I would never have to live a life of silence. You certainly confirm his statement!! Makes dealing with the thought of going bilateral a lot easier. Thanks!

11. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    Thank you for posting that, Sid, it has given me a glimmer of hope as a musician who is currently fighting going bilateral. I know I'll never hear music the same again with a CI(s), but your post gives me hope that I will be able to recognize it and perhaps enjoy it. Many, many thanks.

12. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Thanks for hope!
    I asked on another thread, but maybe this is the better place to ask...

Can you do cochlear implant after gentamicin?

Here’s the context of my question:
    I’m right sided Menieres since 2008. Hearing down to 60-70 dB, word recognition 44%, vestibular nerve at least 50% gone on VNG. I’ve had a horrific horrible last year of vertigo and drop attacks.

(I’ve tried all the meds and supplements. I’ve been better the last month - not sure if it’s the usual randomness of MM, or if valtrex, Diamox and Epival are helping. But I’m at the point of wanting definitive treatment for the vertigo, even if that means laby.)

I’m seeing a doctor tomorrow (finally!!) who will give me the results of a VEMP, and can do gentamicin. I’m on a waitlist to see the doc who does surgical options.

Being unilateral, I may never need CI, but if the left ear goes... I just want to know all I can.