1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Back...with BPPV?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Skye, May 6, 2019.

1. Skye

Skye New Member

Jul 9, 2014
    Hello all,
    I'm a former member from roughly 2009-2015. I had the VNS surgery performed in 2010, and most of my debilitating symptoms were alleviated. (If anyone has questions about the VNS, feel free to reach out).

Anyway, life has been pretty great for the past 5 or so years. On Saturday, out of the blue, I woke up with what I believe was a BPPV attack in my VNS'd ear. I rolled over in bed, started spinning, sat up, and the spinning disappeared within 20 seconds or so. My Meniere's attacks were far different - they lasted a minimum of 1 hour, and were never effected by the position of my head.

I knew about BPPV, and the Epley Maneuver, so I attempted to do this on my own at home. Sure enough, as soon as I went into the first position, the spinning started again, but then slowly subsided as I completed the maneuver.

I felt sick to my stomach all day, but the spinning never returned. I think I may have gotten it with the maneuver, but of course, am extremely thrown by this whole encounter. Wanted to reach out to any / all whom have experienced something similar.

Should I go see my OTO? Does BPPV come back frequently? Does the Epley usually keep it well managed? Are there other things I can do to help manage this?

Two days on, I'm feeling okay, though my eyes are a little blurry. Hoping that this is a one-off, but trying to prep myself in case this stuff comes back.

Thanks in advance for any help or info. Frustrating to get Meniere's under control, just to have something else pop up. :(

My best to all,
    Skye

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  2. sjw111

sjw111 Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Hey Skye long time for sure. This is Sid. Using a new handle here now. Ive been gone from .org for a long time also. Just got a CI so back to share on that a little. BPPV for certain is not unusual in your case. If you can do the maneuver at home that is great. But sometimes best to have it checked out. I have always understood it take a lot of sessions with the Epley (sp?) to right the ship. I would contact my doc (if they test and understand BPPV) and meanwhile keep doing the exercised. Dr Hain has some good publications and somewhere there are videos on exactly how to do it. I know you have to do it properly or its does no good. I suspect you are doing that. Good to see your name. Hope you are ok otherwise. Peace

3. teesdale

teesdale Active Member

Oct 24, 2014
    Not sure if there are different types of BPPV, but mine occurred after I sustained a concussion on the ski slopes. I was dizzy for a while whenever I did specific head movements. While at a Physical Therapist office for an unrelated issue, I mentioned the dizziness. He did the Epley once and I never had that movement specific vertigo again. That was nine years ago.

Best of health to you!

4. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    It is pretty common in older people even without any injury. But you are not older.

Here is my question. How could it be in the vns ear? A vns cuts the balance nerve between the ear and the brain so how could any balance info go fom that ear to the brain to cause vertigo of any kind especially when you have confirmed that it worked by not having any issues since the vns? For that reason, i would contact the dr and say ‘what gives?’

But it is great that you knew what to do to handle it. Let us know what you find out and good luck.

5. Gardengal

Gardengal Member

May 12, 2015
    If it is BPpV, I have done the epley once a day for 10-14 days in a row. I just do them at home. I watch YouTube to refresh my memory of the times in each position. Sounds exactly like BPPV.