1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

For those who have had shunt surgery

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Cheryl, May 30, 2019.

1. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    Do you know what material your shunt is made of? I need an MRI and I can't get it done without definitive proof that my shunt isn't made of metal.

I got my shunt in 1993. My records no longer exist. Someone from the hospital where I'm supposed to have the MRI called the hospital where I had the shunt done and was told that at the time of my surgery I would have been given a card stating what materials were used. I have no such card and don't remember ever having one. You would think someone at that hospital would know what type of shunts they were using in 1993, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I believe my shunt is made of silicone, but it's been so long ago, I can't remember for sure.

It's too late in the day now, but tomorrow I'm going to call the MRI department where they're trying to schedule my MRI and ask if they could x-ray my head to see if there's any metal in my left inner ear.

I'm thinking, though, if this were a possibility, it would have been mentioned by now, since I was told earlier today that an MRI may be not be possible.

Thoughts?

2. Irishstu

Irishstu Member

Apr 28, 2019
    Hi Cherly. Unfortunately i dont know what the material would have been... but i was wondering if you can tell us if the shunt surgery was successful for you? Did it relieve the pressure? Did your hearing or tinnitus improve? Thanks

3. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019
    I was told that the shunts were silicone. I have had an MRI done on my neck because of a pinched nerve and didn't have any problems with that. I actually have metal clips on my fallopian tubes from my tubal ligation many years ago and they went ahead and did the MRI on my hip.

The shunts put an end to the severe vertigo so far. They were done in 1974 and 1993. They didn't put an end to the other symptoms. The right ear, which was done in 1974, has been "quiet" for 20+ years so far, just some tinnitus sometimes and a little bit of pressure with barometric changes. But I did have intermittent problems with that ear for a lot of years. The left ear, the one done in 1993, has been a lot more problematic, and I am having a lot of problems in the last couple of years after a 5-year complete remission.

I am hard of hearing of course but not as much as would be expected after having this for so many years. The hearing in the right ear is much better than that in the left. I don't wear hearing aids and manage OK. Maybe the shunts slowed down the hearing loss? No one has been able to give me an explanation about that. But I am very grateful that I have been able to retain as much hearing as I have, so far.

4. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    Thanks, California Sun. I know that just because some shunts are silicone, that doesn't necessarily mean they all are. I just wanted to find out if people know what their shunts are made from and if they are mostly silicone. I'm glad the shunts worked for you. The goal of having shunt surgery is to stop the vertigo attacks, thus preserving the hearing you still have at the time of surgery. Sounds like that's exactly how they worked for you.

Hi Irishstu,

The shunt surgery was a big disaster for me. I woke up from the surgery profoundly deaf in the shunted ear and with severe vertigo. It was done on December 21 and the room was still spinning when I was discharged late in the day on December 24. It was only supposed to be either outpatient or an overnight stay.

The spinning vertigo eventually went away, but I continued to have the sensation that my surroundings were continuously moving in waves. I had double vision for several days. A few days after I got home from the hospital, I had a major vertigo attack and the attacks continued to come in rapid succession. I would maybe have two or three attacks on the same day. On top of everything else, the tinnitus and aural fullness were worse than ever. Occasionally, I would have a day with no vertigo. I am not exaggerating when I say I was having vertigo more often than not.

The surgeon who did the surgery had no explanation and gave me a diagnosis of permanent vertigo.

Eleven months later I had a VNS, which ended the vertigo. Fullness and tinnitus eventually went away, too, though that shouldn't be expected.

My Meniere's became bilateral several years later. Vertigo from the second ear was much slower moving and the attacks were of shorter duration. I now have profound hearing loss in the shunted/VNS ear and severe hearing loss in the other one. I get by with a hearing aid in the better hearing ear and lip reading.

5. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019
    WOW! I am so sorry that you had such a terrible result from your shunt, and have gone through so much since.

6. Irishstu

Irishstu Member

Apr 28, 2019
    Cheryl. Very sorry to hear that the operation was so unsuccessful. This condition can be very cruel.

7. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    Thanks, California Sun and Irishstu.

As far as MM goes, things are pretty good now. Once in awhile I have a flare up of aural fullness and tinnitus in the non VNS ear. The tinnitus is usually of the pulsatile variety and can last for several days. That's the one thing that drives me nearly insane. I have fleeting little spins every now and then, but I haven't had a horrible, hours long spin for about four years. My hearing is lousy and my balance isn't what it used to be, but things could be worse. I had my first MM vertigo attack somewhere around 44 years ago. I'm thankful to be doing as well as I am.

• Like Like x 1