1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

What's your temp?

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by Bittersweetvenom, Feb 12, 2016.

1. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019
    At 10 am in my part of Southern California--62 degrees. Here it is, Memorial Day weekend and we never did get spring. Normal temperatures at this time of year, here, are well into the 80s.

2. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    What part of SoCal are you in. I'm in the Inland Empire. About 5 miles north of Ontario Airport.

3. California Sun

May 23, 2019
    I'm in the Conejo Valley, about 45 minutes north of Los Angeles.

4. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Calgary today - summer storms.

5. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    The pictures you posted are beautiful, Nathan. I'd love to stand on my back deck and see that view. In my next life I'm going to live near water. Or in the mountains. Or near the water in the mountains.

Thanks for posting the pics. Is that the view from right out your back door?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Joney

Joney Active Member

Apr 12, 2019
    Weather has been a little nutty here in Chicago. Today it’s supposed to be sunny and 80 degrees. Thunderstorms tonight, then cool off tomorrow, only to go back into the 80’s on Monday. We’ve had more rain here this year...well i guess just about everyone has.

7. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Nathan's pics were great, but I feel they were filtered.

8. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    What of a coastal range? Based on your description, the imagery forming in my head implies a preference for a tributary, or tributaries, rather than an ocean, or sea.

For instance, would you prefer to reside surrounded, which is to say encompassed by the rise & fall of mountains, amid tributaries created by the mountains themselves, or to settle broadside a mountain range, to face an ocean, or sea?

No. No not all all *chuckles

I don't have a back door, to mention nothing of such landscape beyond it. I have a door & a balcony. One can either enter or exit my apartment via the door—by means of a rapid elevator or emergency stairwell—or hoist one's self a considerable distance up to, or parachute off, or more courageous still, swan dive a great distance from the balcony to the busy streets below.

The photographs were taken at a reserve many kilometers north east of my residence, a few clicks west of the Yarra Rangers National Park.

9. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    They weren't filtered. What you see is true colour.

10. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Calgary temperature- high of 27 degrees Celsius. Toasty hot! Smoke from forest fires already. But rain the next couple of days - hopefully it can snuff the High Level fires.

11. California Sun

May 23, 2019
    Fifty-nine degrees F and sunny at 8 am. It's supposed to warm up to the upper 70s today. I just hope it gets warm and stays warm. I feel so much better when we have warm temperatures and consistent weather conditions.

12. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    It was awesomely hot here today. Anne, I read today that the smoke in Calgary is from the High Level wildfire. That’s amazing. I’m in Red Deer and we only have haze; no smell. My son and his family are in High Prairie which is about 5 hours south from High Level and the smoke wasn’t bad there two days ago. How can it be causing air quality problems in Calgary? Weird.

• Like Like x 1
  13. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Melc
    Strange winds I guess! I’ve been having brief vertigos daily for a week, and my hubby is popping Tylenol for headaches... so the barometrics must be doing something funky.

14. California Sun

May 23, 2019
    It literally went from winter to summer overnight, here. It's been around 85 the last couple of days. I love the heat but drastic temperature changes--especially when it goes drastically from cold to hot--affect me and I am feeling it. I have a pool in my back yard and I hope I will be able to go in soon. We have solar heat so if the weather stays warm and sunny, the pool should warm up fast.

15. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    California Sun and Anne,

I’m convinced that weather changes certainly affect our conditions. I know rapid barometric changes impact my symptoms.

I left the house this am at 7:10. The sky was blue and it was very warm. When I came out of the school at 8:30 it was cool and very smoky. The wind had shifted and was coming in strong from the north. It got worse all day. I saw on the news that there are some cities in the US that are getting the smoke from High Level. Boggling.

I called my DIL in High Prairie this evening and they are really in a bad way with the smoke. The kids can’t go outside for recess and they may cancel school tomorrow. Our grandsons had soccer practice cancelled here tonight because of air quality. Can’t imagine what it’s like in High Level.

My MM ear is full and screaming tonight. Part of that is weather and part is sitting in a gym for 2 hours watching my grandson play handball.

What is it like in Calgary, Anne?

16. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    The smoke was quite dense 10+/10 on that air quality rating. - I was getting claustrophobic so bought a couple of air purifiers for the house. Now it’s better- 2/10. But I’m sure I’ll still make good use of the purifiers these smoky summers!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    The acronym formed by abbreviating 'daughter in law' generates an awkward homophone for Australian & New Zealand readers, yah?

Oh yah, you betcha, yah.

18. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Possibly semantic of me, & you may mean nothing by it, however important to explain nonetheless. If not not for your eyes than the eyes of members who do in fact stitch psychological underpinnings to said noun.

Anthropomorphising & attributing malevolent intention to non-sentient phenomenon—meniere's / The Beast—dramatically increases the probability of the non-sentient phenomenon negatively influencing the psychology of the one who anthropomorphises, or adopts the anthropomorphisation: to induce stress, anxiety, trepidation, fear, depression, hopelessness, bitterness, resentfulness, & anger.

To find a foothold in one's psyche that, ironically, only she/he chiselled with it in mind, rather than the antithetical.

As language shapes the way with think, & the way we think shapes the way we feel.

19. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    Ha ha, Nathan. My daughter in law is anything but a dill. I love learning new slang words. It is now a part of my vocabulary.

It is 30 C here today and the smoke is hardly evident.

Yes, Ann you are going to get your money’s worth with the purifiers. Sigh.

20. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Hmm Nathan
    Food for thought. How about “That Which Makes Me Feel Less Grounded Than I Might Prefer?”