1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Vertigo and exercise

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by ocelot0411, Jun 2, 2019.

1. ocelot0411

ocelot0411 New Member

Jun 2, 2019
    I was wondering if any one else had an issue with exercise (particularly cardio vascular) triggering an attack of vertigo. This is a new (and very unwelcome) development for me. I am hoping I am wrong but there certainly has been a pattern of late of a hard CV work out then an attack the next day. Am I maybe ou

2. Tony Wilson

Tony Wilson Member

Apr 2, 2019
    I workout pretty frequently and have never seen a correlation between the two. I can only see a slight increase in symptoms from grueling weight training periods which is probably brought on by increased inflammation but never from cardio and I love to run long distances.

3. ocelot0411

ocelot0411 New Member

Jun 2, 2019
    You have no idea how pleased I am to receive this response Tony! It must just be a coincidence then. I will soldier on and see how I go.

Thanks so much for your response.

4. Clare

Clare Active Member

Mar 31, 2018
    My personal sense is to always assume episodes are coincidental, unless I can reproduce the effect.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Robert Wilson

Robert Wilson Member

Feb 7, 2019
    I also work out most every day, sometimes very strenuously, and have never noticed it triggering an attack. Light to moderate workouts usually decrease my symptoms. Highly strenuous workouts might temporarily cause a little dizziness, but never have triggered vertigo for me.

6. ocelot0411

ocelot0411 New Member

Jun 2, 2019
    Thanks all! This is really good news! I was getting extremely concerned. I have had almost 4 years of barely any attacks and then all of a sudden they were coming every other day. I have worked out pretty much daily throughout those four years with no problems but I was just getting a bit concerned there might be a connection. I am very pleased to hear that this is not the case in your experience. I must just be going through a bad patch. I will dust off my running shoes tonight!

7. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019
    I am just amazed at those of you who can continue to work out in spite of the symptoms. I just can't do it, in spite of normally being a very fitness-oriented person. I normally go to the gym 5 times a week. My usual workout is a half-hour of cardio followed by another half-hour of weight training. Sometimes I do an hour class such as Pilates or Body Pump. I've tried, but I find that it's almost impossible to get through the workout and I don't feel like I got anything out of it--except to feel even worse afterwards.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Count me in as a regular...I have always worked out everyday I do something. Prior to my laby when my life pretty much sucked during episodes I still was able to exercise. I am thankful for that otherwise I probably wouldn't be writing this post right now because I would be in a mental institution!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Robert Wilson

Robert Wilson Member

Feb 7, 2019
    I think it's incredibly individual.

Working out usually made me feel better. Helped keep me sane.

On days where I was too dizzy to do anything complicated, I'd just sit on a recumbent bike or lift weights in a controlled manner. I've always done something unless I was in a full-blown vertigo attack.

10. Fisherman42

Fisherman42 Active Member

Sep 5, 2014
    Illinois
    I work out 3 times a week running and lifting no correlation for me and the running seems to help with balance issues.

11. Megan Henry

Megan Henry Member

Oct 5, 2019
    I'm dizzy every day, feel like I'm on a boat. I exercise 5-7 x week and it is one of the few if not the only thing that helps the dizziness. I'm seriously blessed to not have gotten a vertigo attack yet, but exercise only helps me. I also go on hikes every weekend and that messes with my vestibular system at first, but the dizziness is gone after I finish 6 - 10 miles. I will say sometimes when I do sit ups and strain my neck some, it spikes up the T up a little. Even on my dizziest days exercise is my greatest reprieve.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Gardengal

Gardengal Member

May 12, 2015
    I run about 4x a week and work out 2-3 days. It doesn’t trigger vertigo. If I am having a bad day, I might not do one or the other that day. Or maybe I use a treadmill instead of running the roads. Like others have posted, I think running helps with balance and mental stress relief. Doing something hard on purpose gives me control - we all do the hard involuntarily with our attacks.

13. Riplip

Riplip Member

Mar 16, 2018
    NH
    I workout 4-5 times a week. Mostly cardio. I believe it helps me with my balance. I do noticed I can hear the music better through my earbuds when my heart rate is up a bit but when I run hard and get it pumping the ringing gets a lot louder as well. I say keep working out because it relieves stress and that is always a good thing.

14. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    No correlation to cardio workouts. But one time at gym lifting heavier weights than I'm used to, triggered my dizziness (unsteadiness, to be accurate). Plus an added sense of feeling about 3 feet shorter. I read someone here speak of that before. Sounded strange. But then it happened to me. I felt like a little person walking out to my car.