1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Short Vertigo?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by ckdk, Jun 12, 2019.

1. ckdk

ckdk Member

Jan 8, 2017
    All,

after having around 1 year remission, for the past few days I've short vertigo. just for few seconds and became tired & sleepy after that. prior to this, my tinnitus are very loud for about 1 month.

anyone have similar experience? thanks

2. zotjen

zotjen Member

May 12, 2014
    Yes, I've had what I described to my doctor as short bursts of vertigo that only last for 30 seconds or less. I've had about 4 so far this year and prior to this I had gone almost 3 years without a vertigo attack. I do remember having some of these as well when I was having vertigo on a somewhat regular basis.

Interestingly enough, I've also been having some BPPV spells which I haven't had for a while either. My doctor tells me that MM and BPPV aren't related (i.e. what causes the dizziness and spinning are definitely two different things) but I still wonder if there is a connection.

3. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    How do you know the short 30 second vertigo spells are not bppv ?

4. twodogs

twodogs Member

Jul 26, 2018
    Yes it could be BPPV.

Years ago on this forum we called that short vertigo "the wows".

5. ckdk

ckdk Member

Jan 8, 2017
    thanks, I'll try doing some epley exercise. hopefully will help

6. zotjen

zotjen Member

May 12, 2014
    June, the BPPV only happens when I lie down, when I'm lying down and change positions, or sometimes when I stand up quickly. I was in my doctor's office last week and we were able to induce BPPV.

Maybe a better word to describe the short vertigo would be a "jolt" rather than a "burst". These jolts can happen anytime (e.g. sitting at my desk at work) and are different than BPPV. With my BPPV, I would describe the spinning as slow and gentle, whereas with the jolts, they come on so suddenly I often reach to grab something as I think I'm falling. Having had full blown vertigo, these jolts feel more like that than when I get the BPPV.

Also, with BPPV, once the spinning stops I'm fine. With the jolts, I'll still feel off balance for about 10 minutes or so after the spinning stops.

• Like Like x 1
  7. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    I relate to the “jolts” - short, out of the blue, sort of a near-vertigo that stop me in my tracks and I usually say “whoa”, but I don’t fall. They often come when I’m in a vertigo phase.

I’ve had a few now since my gentamicin injection 10 days ago. I don’t know if these jolts are the gentamicin doing its thing, or what would have been a full vertigo without the gentamicin.

8. ckdk

ckdk Member

Jan 8, 2017
    after having 3 'jolts' in 3 days, i had full blown vertigo last night during sleep. maybe in my case those jolts were indication before having full blown vertigo.

9. mariofrommty

mariofrommty Member

Oct 7, 2016
    Hey ckdk ive been having more BPPV episodes and my tinnitus have been louder than ever (after 3 years of being under control)
    how are you doing these days?

10. ckdk

ckdk Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Hi Mario, I went to neurotologist and she gave me 2 weeks supply of oral steroid. still not back to "normal" yet. for BPPV maybe you can try the epley maneuver and see it that help. for tinnitus, we are on the same condition. my tinnitus is very loud lately.

11. Mustang1

Mustang1 Member

Jun 21, 2019
    Upstate NY
    I'm several years into the Menieres myself, I've had steroid shots(3) and an endolymphatic sac decompression surgery a year ago. My last 6 months I have had the same short vertigo jolts where I spin once or twice then fades away with in 30 seconds and I don't fall but I'm unstable. My Dr. calls is an equilibrium something something. I'm scheduled for laby in August.