1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Does sound or concert make menieres symptoms worse?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by mariofrommty, Jun 18, 2019.

1. mariofrommty

mariofrommty Member

Oct 7, 2016
    Heyguys,
    im dealing with a spike in my tinnitus
    since i went to a festival almost 3 weeks ago.

my tinnitus since 2016 have been super soft, bearly there
    but it could go sky rocket when eating too much salt or MSG.

right now it sound like a lazer fest,
    and im just wondering if this concert made it worse
    and also all this exposure to music, im a musician
    and ive been trying to use foam plugs, but i can not wear them
    all the time, on sunday i went to a party and they had the music loud (not to loud)
    and i feel like my tinnitus is louder... (but also ive been having episodes of fullness and BVVP)

what do you guys think? do you still expose your self to concerts or loud sounds?

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    I 100 percent know that concerts and loud environments affect my tinnitus and hearing overall. I no longer attend concerts or places where acoustics can be an issue. You really need to protect your ears. Look into custom made ear plugs they really help. I even wear plugs when I am vacuuming

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019
    It's been my experience that loud music, or any sustained loud sounds will most definitely exacerbate Meniere's symptoms or even start them up if I wasn't already having them. The doctor I was seeing at the House Clinic at the time warned me about it, too. When I had the Monster affecting only one ear, I still went to concerts but used a good-quality earplug in the affected ear. When I became bilateral, concerts and other live music became out of the question.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Brother_of_Nool

Brother_of_Nool Member

May 24, 2019
    New York
    Great question, I hope a lot of people share their experiences - I'd love to hear the answers. I haven't gone to a concert in years, but I've listened to music with headphones (now earbuds) everyday for decades. (Riding the subway isn't a pleasant experience, and music goes a long way to make it tolerable for me.) I'm trying to figure out if this contributes to my problems as well. Occasionally, when I've had a "good day" in the past, I've popped in my earbuds - only for the "good day" came to an abrupt end shortly afterwards. I haven't used headphones for months now, but I hope that after a few more months of JOH I'll be able to again.

5. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Yes, for me loud environments made the tinnitus much worse, as did high sodium meals. So much so that for a period of time i carried ear plugs with me.

6. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019
    I make every effort to avoid or leave situations where the sound level is too high, but I always carry earplugs with me just in case.

Some of the biggest offenders for having music at too high a volume is fitness classes at the gym and wedding receptions. I avoid those particular classes at the gym. I usually leave wedding receptions as soon as the dancing starts because the music is at an intolerably high volume. You can't even carry on a conversation with the person next to you without shouting at each other. I don't know why people insist on doing this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    and football games ...

8. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    A lot of restaurants purposely keep it loud to create a buzz of “hey things are happening here!” And to make customers eat faster.

I’ve heard that there’s a website for hearing-friendly restaurants.

I had one really bad vertigo while watching AStar is Born. I couldn’t walk, so couldn’t escape the loud music and visuals. Lots of drugs, plugged my ears, eventually could watch a bit. Gross.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. mariofrommty

mariofrommty Member

Oct 7, 2016

was the movie really worth it?

10. mariofrommty

mariofrommty Member

Oct 7, 2016
    Well in my experience, i listen to music in my earbuds everyday with no problem.
    i go once in a while to bars, discoteques, or shows wearing plugs and i have never have any kind of problem
    but 3 weeks ago i went to a festival and was super louds, even with earplugs
    and after the second day my ears started to act up...
    but it can be many things.
    for a few days i didnt eat much, drink a lot of electrolyte drinks, didnt slept well, took propranolol, etc... then the positional vertigo hitted me for a few days, thank God and pycnogenol...
    my tinnitus is back to normal.

really, god bless pycnogenol, im taking one pill per day

11. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    If I could have walked, I would have left the theatre! I was able to see the movie on a small screen another day and did think it was good.