1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

16 years with Meniere's

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by rondrums51, Jun 20, 2019.

1. rondrums51

rondrums51 Diagnosed 2004, went bilateral 2013

May 12, 2014
    Southwest Florida coast
    Hi, all. I've been off the forum for a good while.

I was diagnosed in 2003, left ear. The doc put me on the usual stuff--diuretic, antihistamine, Xanax. None of it helped much. I went bilateral in 2013, and I did the Stephen (can't talk about him, I assume) regimen for 22 months, from 2013 through 2014. It helped about 40 percent, and I had to quit because it was so expensive. But the disease is nowhere near gone.

Today, I still have chronic dizziness, imbalance, malaise (feels like the flu), ear fullness, terrible brain fog, and screaming high pitched tinnitus.

I realized today that I've lived with this shit for 16 years. I worked two jobs, with great difficulty, took a lot of sick days. Here I am in 2019, retired, and I still deal with it every day. Some days are better than others.

I have read, and my neurologist has told me, that Meniere's often burns out when people get to age 70. Anybody have any reports on this? I'm 68, and I would love to live out the last years of my life without the daily misery.

Bless all who have this curse.

• Fistbump/thanks Fistbump/thanks x 1
  2. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Did you see a neurotologist? A doc who specializes in ear brain connection? Did anyone ever suggest a laby to you? If you have tried alternative treatments with no success you might want to discuss a laby and get on with your life.

• Like Like x 1
  3. PleaseNoDizzy

PleaseNoDizzy Active Member

May 12, 2014
    Hi Ron,
    I remember you from my early years on this forum. I was struck with it in 2011. I've been curious how the "Stephen folk" have fared in the last few years but understand we can't discuss it really. If you can give a very general summary on if anyone really got great results, in a general sense, I'd be curious to hear.

Sorry to hear you are still struggling with things. I ended up having a laby last year which gave me my life back. I am still struggling a bit now, though nowhere near the same extent, and we think it's more vestibular migraine at this point. No straight up vertigo anymore, that's the important thing.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Nice to see you Ron. Sorry you didn't find complete relief. I assume you tried antivirals already. I always have to throw that out because they were a Godsend to me and i hope they will work for someone else. Praying a miracle comes your way.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. James

James ''Everywhere I go there I am'' GS

May 12, 2014
    Sorry you are back,I am on here very rarely as well. I just retired last year but am still working.I am bilateral and the vertigo is hopefully gone as they said I have no balance system in my ears left.Did lots of vestibular rehab. 2 hearing aids and the reason that I stopped by today is because I have lost hearing in my good ear and have the usual shitty tinnitus going on in both ears. I can't talk on my phone as the hearing sucks.I too am sick of this shit. I admire your fortitude.We are all a tough bunch to put up with this crap.I am only on about 11 years. Hang in there maybe the burnout will come for you.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    You've been sorely missed, Mr.

To the best of my understanding burnout is uncommon, & doesn't occur at any particular age, but rather, as the term suggests, when there's little to nothing left of the inner ear to further destroy—of which hinges more so on the age of onset & the rate of symptom progression.

Burnout, unfortunately, & again to the best of my understanding, concerns the symptoms of drop attacks & vertigo only, wherein the cessation of drop attacks & vertigo succumb to permanent disequilibrium. Tinnitus, aural fullness, hyperacusis, hearing loss, clouding of consciousness & all remaining symptoms excluding drop attacks & vertigo remain.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Hey Ron,

I'm not so sure "burnout" is a goal worth achieving. I was diagnosed 12 years ago and have lost most of my hearing in my ear. 3 years ago two doctors in NYC diagnosed me in the "burnout" phase of MM.

It essentially means no more monster vertigo attacks but you live in a constant state of disequilibrium. You literally live your life off balance...It is no joke my friend.

I just turned 40 and have two kids under the age of 5... Really hoping one of these inner ear biotech researchers bails me out in the next 10 years.

I wish you luck with your battle and hopefully your ear settles down.

Have a great weekend!

8. twodogs

twodogs Member

Jul 26, 2018
    Doctors throw out various ages for burnout because they don't otherwise know what to say. I am 72 and have symptoms every day and for 30+ years. I rarely get vertigo anymore but when I do I throw up and get it over with. this is a horrible disease.