1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

SLEEP ISSUES

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Irishstu, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Irishstu

Irishstu Member

Apr 28, 2019
    Hi everyone. Recently i have been waking up everynight with terrible tinnitus that prevents me from going back to sleep again. Seems like the tinnitus gets worse in the middle of the night for some reason? I am taking JOH and B5&6 and i think that helps me during the day but it seems like things get worse at night. I really dont want to be relying on sleeping pills and was wondering if anyone else has this same issue, or if anyone has any advice or tips to cope with this? Thanks.

2. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    I notice my tinnitus most when I’m quiet, so yes bedtime can be challenging. And when I’m thinking about it, like now!

It used to really freak me out, as often when it was louder it would mean I was in for some vertigo attacks. Now it’s so constant, and I’m getting treatment to eliminate the vertigo, that bit of anxiety with the tinnitus is gone.

My tinnitus is bilateral, so I do worry in the back of my head that the rest of the Menieres will go bilateral too. But I’ve mostly got that thought stuffed away, knowing that I won’t delay to get treatment if that occurs.

For you, is it simply the loudness distracting you from sleep, or do you get anxious thoughts attached to the tinnitus?

3. Irishstu

Irishstu Member

Apr 28, 2019
    Its really the loudness that bothers me but im sure that does also lead into some anxiety like “will i be able to go back to sleep again thoughts”.

4. Pa Cowboy

Pa Cowboy Member

Mar 17, 2019
    Turn on a radio (if you still have one of them contraptions) at night to help distract you from the ringing in your ears.

5. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Two books have helped me with sleep and anxious thoughts.

Full Catastrophe Living by Jon Kabat-Zinn

Say Good Night to Insomnia by Gregg Jacobs.

6. Mustang1

Mustang1 Member

Jun 21, 2019
    Upstate NY
    Possible clenching your teeth during sleep? Maybe wearing guard might help prevent it.

7. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    Same here. tinnitus is a bitch and I still get it in my "dead" ear that had the laby. Hang in an try to stay focused. I find if does tend to get better with time and patience.

8. Irishstu

Irishstu Member

Apr 28, 2019
    Thanks for all the helpful info. Hope everyone has a nice Sunday

9. Ponx54

Ponx54 New Member

Aug 21, 2018
    I had exactly what you describe in the first month or so. I would wake up in the middle of the night with ridiculously loud tinnitus, especially the whirring sound in my head. This stopped after starting taking betahistine but I have permanent relatively quiet tinnitus in both ears and a quiet whirring in my head.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Tacio Domingos

Tacio Domingos New Member

Jun 19, 2019
    Spain
    @Irishstu, my tinnitus gets worse during the night. But I noticed it is because I have not eaten for some hours. In my case, the tinnitus lowers when I am on a full stomach. Try having a bigger or later dinner. Maybe that works for you too. In general doctors/ dietitians do not recommend eating too late or too much before bed, but it has actually helped me a lot.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1