1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Been having significantly more attacks - should I try lysine or acyclovir?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by three4rd, Jul 30, 2019.

1. three4rd

three4rd Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Used to be I'd get an episode that would last a day or two every few weeks or even months. Now, however, it seems I have more bad days than good. I'm not talking about major vertigo symptoms, but rather a constant 'brain fog', lightheadedness, problems with turning my head in various directions too quickly, bending down and getting back up again (feel like I'm going to black out sometimes). Had a stress test last year to rule out other cardiovascular issues. Also saw an otologist and had an MRI to rule out still other issues.

I am on a combination BP / diuretic (chlorthalidone) med for the past few years. My local GP prescribed it thinking that we might be able to hit both problems at one time - the marginally high BP plus the meniere's issues. Felt great for at least a year or so, but now things are considerably worse. I bought Lysine awhile back but never tried any yet. Tried the bioflavonoids for awhile and that didn't go well for me. Also have been on vinpocetine but recently discontinued just to see if I felt better without it. My go-to relief is the Divertigo oil, which really works well for me and allows me to function pretty normally during even bad episodes.

Been reading the long thread here about the AVs and wondering if it's time to explore that option. Any suggestions? Try the Lysine first? Or something like Acyclovir? (and if so...how much?) Really tired of feeling like this. Never realized over the years how much I took for granted just waking up in the morning and feeling absolutely fine, LONG before tinnitus and all this other stuff.

2. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    It seems like it’s fine to do both. I tried Valtrex 1000 mg 3x per day for a few weeks, then 2x per day, then daily for a few months. I was also on lysine and other components of the JOH supplements. Unfortunately it wasn’t the long term answer for me but I’m glad I tried it. Antivirals seem to have helped a bunch of people here. Probably some Menieres cases are caused by virus - others not.

3. Dario

Dario Member

Apr 30, 2019
    Melbourne
    How horrible and I am sorry you feel like this. Do you have access to SERC or SETEAR (Betahistine Hydrochloride). I know there are some issues with obtaining this drug in the USA but here in Australia it is readily available for people with MD. Works well for me.

4. three4rd

three4rd Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Hi Dario..thanks for your understanding. Decided to give Lysine a go and see what happens. In answer to your inquiry, I'm not familiar with SERC or SETEAR and so have no idea as to availability.

5. jaypr

jaypr Member

May 12, 2014
    liverpool uk
    Hello three4rd Sorry that you are suffering. Serc or betahistine is the first option here in the UK.It is very good.Its a preventative and takes about 2 - 3 weeks to get in to your system. It is available in America. A chemist will make it up for you as a compound. It worked well for me. What also worked for me to lessen or stop a rotational vertigo and vomiting attack in its tracks was buccastem ( brand name ) or stematil.
    That is if you have MD. I eventually realised that I had MAV. Best of luck wishing you well

6. Tacio Domingos

Tacio Domingos New Member

Jun 19, 2019
    Spain
    @three4rd
    I concur with what @jaypr and @Dario have mentioned. I also take Serc (betahistine) and it is the first drug usually given in Europe. They prescribed it to me in Spain. I have personally bought it in compounding pharmacies in Tennessee (when I lived there).

7. Dario

Dario Member

Apr 30, 2019
    Melbourne
    Hi Tacio, has Serc always been good to you? No attacks or symptoms etc?

8. Tacio Domingos

Jun 19, 2019
    Spain
    @Dario, it totally works for my vertigo attacks. I am pretty much vertigo free. Well, I still have say one attack every 6 months. But usually it is because of some other factor such as major change in diet or when I over do it at the gym. And even so the attacks are pretty minor and usually over within minutes. Nothing like what the attack could potentially be! I am sure you know!! Serc was a real life saver for me. Been taking it for 10 years.

All of that said, it does very little (if anything) for my tinnitus and hearing. This is where my struggle is these days...

9. Dario

Dario Member

Apr 30, 2019
    Melbourne
    Wow - 10 years!! That gives me hope. I have very little tinnitus that I only hear when I go to bed at night. The slight sound of crickets is the way I think of it. It really doesn't annoy me much. I have slight hearing loss in both ears which could be due to anything. I was only properly diagnosed back in March after going through all the testing etc - it was a long slog. How much Serc do you take?

10. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Acyclovir, 400 mg five times a day spread evenly from
    waking to bedtime.

11. Jimii

Jimii Member

Apr 10, 2019
    If any of you find an online source for Serc, please let us know.
    I ordered some Vertigoheel from the UK (I haven't tried it yet), but my Dr. did recommend Serc if I could find it.

Jim

12. Dario

Dario Member

Apr 30, 2019
    Melbourne
    Never heard of the Vertigoheel. How does that work for you? You will only be able to get Serc or Setear via a prescription. I doubt you will find it online.

13. wendy

wendy Member

May 18, 2019
    I ordered Vertigoheel from UK as well and have taken it several times when I felt the dizzies coming on. It worked for me. It was part of the original JOH regimen before it was no longer available in US.

14. Jimii

Jimii Member

Apr 10, 2019
    Serc is prescription only? That explains why I can't find it.
    I haven't tried the Vertigoheel yet. I am stockpiling for when things go south.
    It was quick (about a week) to get and shipping (from the UK) wasn't that bad.

Jim

15. Dario

Dario Member

Apr 30, 2019
    Melbourne
    Yep, prescription only mate.

16. three4rd

three4rd Member

Apr 6, 2016
    And how long have you been on it? Curious as to whether or not you've had any blood tests to monitor creatinine.

17. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    I took it 2008 for about three months. Later i took famvir for a few months. I did not have tests for that, i did have tests prior to mri with contrast. My understanding is these antivirals are pretty benign if you do not have kidney or liver disease which is true for many drugs. They are much less scary than say prednisone, but i would not take any drug at all a minute longer than necessary. I have not needed them for years, except for a bout of shingles a few years ago.

18. Tacio Domingos

Jun 19, 2019
    Spain
    In Spain a prescription is not needed to buy Serc. And super cheap too.

19. Tacio Domingos

Jun 19, 2019
    Spain
    I take 3 x 8mg a day. You?

20. Jimii

Jimii Member

Apr 10, 2019
    I may get my Dr. to write a prescription for me and go the Canadian way.
    Can't seem to find Serc on Spain's online pharmacies.
    Thanks

Jim