1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Bad initial experience with Triamterine

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by three4rd, Apr 7, 2016.

1. three4rd

three4rd Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Hi,

I was recently diagnosed with "atypical Meniere's" primarily from the interpretation of the ECOG portion of recent testing (using ECOG as a definitive tool is apparently in itself a bit controversial); however, I took my doctor's advice to try using triamterine since it seems using diuretics is a common treatment. I took it for two days and felt absolutely horrible - worse than probably any attack I've ever had. I could barely function, not being able to stand, move, turn my head different directions, etc. without feeling like I would truly fall over. I realize I probably need to give it more time, but I am just wondering if it dropped my blood pressure too far, especially since I already take flomax for prostate issues - which also can drop BP. So, for now, the triamterine is out. I am open to other suggestions and especially reports from others who have successfully used diuretics.

Thanks for any advice or thoughts..

Keith

2. jkc

jkc Member

May 12, 2014
    I am also atypical and could not tolerate that medicine. My Oto prescibed me Diamox I have no side effects from it.

3. zotjen

zotjen Member

May 12, 2014
    Yes, sounds like it could have dropped your blood pressure too much. I'm currently taking Triamterene-HCTZ and aside from more frequent urination and some initial minor cramping, I have not experienced any side effects. Are you also on a low sodium diet?

4. Maggie

Maggie Guest

Hi Keith,

The same thing happened to me. My blood pressure is naturally low, the diazide made it worse. We tried diamox, which didn't help with symptoms so no diuretic for me. I am not convinced a diuretic is helpful.

Maggie

5. nhannah

nhannah New Member

Nov 30, 2014
    I was also extremely tired, basically non-functional so had to stop it. I gave it a second trial a few weeks later and had the same experience.

6. three4rd

three4rd Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Thanks to all who replied. It does sound like others here have trouble with Triamterine.

Zoytgen....in answer to your question...I wouldn't go so far as to say I am on a strict low salt diet, but my wife and I have been cooking without salt for many years and do not add any at the table, so I think I'm doing pretty well in that regard.

Maggie...interesting about a diuretic possibly not being the best solution. I am going to try the JOH regimen (at least part of it) and see how that goes. What he says makes alot of sense and sounds like many have had success with it.

Hannah....tried it twice with the same result? Doesn't encourage me to try it again...that's for sure.

7. three4rd

three4rd Member

Apr 6, 2016

8. three4rd

three4rd Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Sorry for the duplications!! Isn't there a way to edit a post?? I see I misspelled Zotjen's username (sorry!) and then tried to go back in and edit...instead wound up copying and pasting. No way to edit???

9. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    No way to edit, Keith. :(

10. three4rd

three4rd Member

Apr 6, 2016
    OK..thanks. Other forums I've been in allow you to do that. Guess I had better preview carefully before posting!

11. Maggie

Maggie Guest

I could br wrong but it caused me problems and when I stopped taking it I was no worse. Not very scientific, but I think antiviral, JOH, momolaurin, are probably better solutions. I hope you get a handle on it, Keith.

Maggie

12. three4rd

three4rd Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Resurrecting this old thread...I think T-HCTZ is worth another try, especially since a family member has had success with it.