1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

My job may be threatened because of Meniere's

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Julie W, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Julie W

Julie W New Member

Aug 5, 2019
    Just because I'm not having a full blown vertigo episode, does not mean that I feel safe driving to work. So I have called in to work too many times, and now I fear my job of 13 years is in jeopardy. Even though I can perform my on line work from home, my boss is not understanding at all. I don't feel "disabled", but my symptoms are "disabling". And in kicks the anxiety and depression! UGH!!!!!!! So tired of this!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019
    I totally relate to this. I don't have an outside job, so I don't have to worry about that, but I do need to run errands and such. Lately my husband has been doing most of it because even though I don't have vertigo, the other symptoms are debilitating enough at times that I don't feel that I can drive or do other normal things. I tried to explain this to the last Dr. I saw and all I got was him looking down his nose at me and telling me that if I'm not dizzy I *should* be able to carry on completely normally. Yeah, right. I'd like to see him function normally feeling like this. Idiot. People, including the doctors, just don't get it. We can try to explain it until the cows come home and they still will never understand.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Irishstu

Irishstu Member

Apr 28, 2019
    Julie W. Have you tried the JON regime and/or B5 & B6 and/or anti virals? A lot of people on this forum have gotten relief from some or all of the above.

4. Jimii

Jimii Member

Apr 10, 2019
    Most of us here get it. Unfortunately, most other people don't.
    My boss is pretty understanding. Too bad yours isn't.
    Driving with vertigo is like drunk driving. I attempted it once in a full blown attack.
    I didn't make it.
    I will say after discovering Meclizine, I don't leave home without it. It has gotten me home twice now.

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  5. Saera

Saera Active Member

Jul 5, 2019
    I do understand how you feel. I have been terrified to drive since starting drop attacks on top of vertigo. I am out on FMLA right now while getting treatment. I’d suggest applying for that to protect your job on sick days.

6. Julie W

Julie W New Member

Aug 5, 2019

7. Julie W

Julie W New Member

Aug 5, 2019
    ;)The struggle is real! Real frustrating!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Julie W

Julie W New Member

Aug 5, 2019
    Thank you. I have filed FMLA, but it's pretty clear I will see no raise this year, and I just don't like the comments from my boss about absences.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Julie W

Julie W New Member

Aug 5, 2019
    Thank you! I have not, and will look in to this right now! :)

10. Joney

Joney Active Member

Apr 12, 2019
    I feel ya. My boss is the same way...just doesn’t get it. I look fine, therefore, I probably am faking it so I can get out of going to work. :rolleyes:

• Fistbump/thanks Fistbump/thanks x 1
  11. Bulldogs

Bulldogs Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    If you have a long term disability policy and you feel you just can’t work I would not hesitate to King term disability....Menieres is listed as a stand alone disability by SSDI.

Let’s admit it....anything short Of a laby is basically a band aid and this shit does not get better with time it only progresses and gets chronically worse.

God Bless
    Bulldogs

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. California Sun

May 23, 2019
    With all the new things being worked on, I hope that the day will come sooner rather than later where those afflicted won't have such a grim prognosis, and where there are other options besides horrific, destructive surgeries.

13. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    California Sun I agree with your comments above except for "horrific, destructive" surgery. There are many folks on this board (me included) who suffered for years with vertigo and drop attacks and all the other horrible symptoms that present with MM. The surgery you describe gave me another chance at living a full life. I will always be thankful for the choice I had to end my misery. I look at it as being similar to any surgery that helps one live a full and healthy life. That being said I do understand where you are coming from.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Saera

Saera Active Member

Jul 5, 2019

Bulldogs...

After my gentamicin treatment I see the doctor today. We are to determine whether to have labyrinthectomy or not. My thoughts?

Soon as I stopped the drops of gentamicin my anxiety has gone through the roof. Knowing I have a 20% chance of it all coming back very soon. I can’t live in the anxiety anymore.

I am on the schedule for 8/28 and I’m going to ask her to keep me on there and just do it and get it over with. Hoping the gentamicin will make my recovery easier and I’ll be back to working out and working ASAP.

Maybe a CrossFit competition can actually be in my future?

• Like Like x 1
  15. California Sun

May 23, 2019
    I didn't mean my comment as an offense to anyone. As bad as my own experience has been, it hasn't been anywhere near as bad as some of you, at least so far, so I can't relate to being at the point of having to consider that type of surgery. I had a hard enough time recovering from the shunt surgeries I had--and I was young when I had them. So I can't even begin to imagine how difficult the recovery from this type of surgery would be. I am glad the option exists for those who choose it, but I hope for the day when there will be easier options.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    *nods… Granting the limit of our collective knowledge & the limit of our technology—at this point in human history—I think the term "destructive surgery" can be simultaneously misleading & accurate, & an example of how, at times, language can both manipulate & fail us.

It is possible for two or more people to aline with one another on a given topic, yet speak past one another due to the description, connotations, or associations placed on a word, or multiple words relevant to the given topic.

If you RedWing1951, California Sun & I were to sit down together & address, point by point, all elements involved in this topic, I'm confident all three of us would come to, if not a perfect alinement, then a near perfect alignment with one another.

If I were to wind the clock backwards to the year 1005, which is to decrease our collective knowledge & further limit our technology, should we or should we not label amputation via rusty saw—as a corrective surgery employed to prevent infection & subsequently death caused by Gustilo type 4 compound fractures, for example—a "destructive surgery"? Should we consider it an irresponsible surgery?

More on point, I'm not pro or anti-labyrinthectomy, as the advantages & disadvantages of this procedure are entirely subject to the severity of an individual's symptoms & the degree to which the individual has exhausted all other (potentially) corrective options.

Added, it isn't hard to imagine scenarios wherein an individual may not have the luxury of time to exhaust all other remaining (potentially) corrective options, too.

However all variables & factors considered, if an individual’s symptoms are severe enough, a labyrinthectomy is a constructive procedure. Or, if I were to insist upon splitting linguistic hairs, a destructive surgery that is a highly constructive thing to do (subject to the individual’s scenario).

That said, the scientific method generates progress, both in knowledge & technology. Some may argue it, the scientific method—conjecture & refutation the lifeblood of science—advances our understanding of ethics & morality, too. Perhaps in ten, twenty, or thirty years we will find ourselves in the position to damn labyrinthectomy a destructive surgery absolutely. Or to substitute any word synonymous to destructive as descriptive of said surgery.

The future may even place us in a position to consider it a barbaric & evil practice, relative to the knowledge & technology we are likely to hold at that future point in time.

Independent of this forum & its members, & from a more universal perspective, let's just not annihilate ourselves in the meantime, mmkay?

• Like Like x 3
  17. redwing1951

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Nathan you are the best!! Thanks for your response.

18. California Sun

May 23, 2019
    Thank you, Nathan, or explaining it a lot better than I did. I must say that I was taken aback that what were my own thoughts and opinions would be taken as offense or personal attack. I read plenty here and elsewhere that I absolutely don't agree with, but I just take it for what it is--the writer's own thoughts and opinions, nothing more. In the end, we are all on our own journey and we all make our own choices.

19. redwing1951

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    California Sun I think you totally miss understood my response. I never felt offended nor attacked by your opinion. I apologize for making you feel that way and look forward to your opinions and comments.

• Fistbump/thanks Fistbump/thanks x 1
  20. MelRen

MelRen New Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Hi! I saw Cross Fit and had to comment...I love CrossFit! I was going 5-6 times a week until my Meniere's struck about a month ago. I have returned to modified workouts...my coach is AMAZING. Have you been able to workout at all?