1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

New here “My Story”...feeling hopeless.

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Nicksteeleblack, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Nicksteeleblack

Nicksteeleblack New Member

Aug 11, 2019
    Garden Grove, California
    Hello everyone, my names Nick I’m 27 5’10, 155 pounds from Orange County, California. Just stumbled upon this site about a month or less ago so I thought I’d share my story for some opinions and help. I’ve been reading everything in this form and have known about MM for a little over a year now due to my vigorous research because of my symptoms. I’ll give you all a little background. I apologize for the long post. I don’t where else to turn.

So in May of 2017 I started a new job that required me to work the overnight shift 5 days a week which was a big change for me in my sleeping schedule and the way i ate due to only fast food being open at night then not eating during the day because I would sleep.

In June 2017 I had gotten sick to where I couldnt breath out of my nose and had pretty bad sinus congestion to were I had to put my head over a boiling pot of water to try and open my sinuses up to breath. That only lasted a day or so then I got better but after that I had noticed I had slight ringing in both my ears and my right ear felt a little stuffed. It wasn’t that big of a deal to me but I went to my ENT and he said I probably had a some Eustachian tube dysfunction prescribed me nasal spray, decongestant, and antibiotic and said I can choose to take them or not because it might get better on its own. I chose not to take them because I don’t like medication.

In November of 2017 I had my first “off feeling” like something wasn’t right with my balance or equilibrium. I had no worsening of pressure in my ears or ringing just the “off feeling”.

As time has gone on everything has just seem to be getting gradually worse. I have no hearing loss whatsoever since this has started. The ringing in my ears hasn’t gotten any worse but sometimes I’ll get random spikes of loud tinnitus for about 5-10 seconds and it’ll go away, that’s happened in both ears. I still have the fullness in my right ear and I’m starting to have it a little on my left but it doesn’t feel the same as the right. I always pop my ears by plugging my nose and blowing air into them which relives the left ear but not the right. I also notice that i get the feeling that fluid is draining down the back of my throat sometimes after I pop my ears. I also always open my jaw widely moving it around to try and relive the pressure which does the same as when I blow air into my ears but from doing that I’ve developed popping on the right side of my jaw when I wake up and open my mouth widely. I get crackling in my ears especially the left one and it feels like there stuff in both my ears when I flex my ear drum if anyone here has the ability to do that like I do. Also when I flex my ear drum the tinnitus gets super loud but once I stop flexing it the tinnitus goes back to normal volumes which is really low and barely noticeable. I do get random pain in both my ears and that been kind of a new thing. I also get random sharp pains in my head but those are rare.

My worse symptom and the one that’s getting worse is the constant off balance type feeling where something just isn’t right which started November 2017 like I mentioned before. I haven’t had any vertigo attacks *Knock on wood* but this feeling of being off balance and the world not looking right at times is getting to be constant and to much to where I feel like I’m gonna be home ridden unable to work. I feel like a vertigo attack is going to happen but it hasn’t yet. Sometimes when I turn quick or just look certain way I get this butterfly type jolt feeling in my stomach, I hate that.

Im currently seeing an ENT which I’ve been seeing for about a year maybe and have had all the test done from them VNG, hearing test, etc. My hearing is normal but they said I have an 18% abnormality in my right ear which is negligible and it has to be at least 25%. Recently went to see a neurologist who scheduled me for an MRI and blood work for auto-immune issues like lupus, Lyme, thyroid, etc and everything came back normal along with the MRI so he said there was nothing more he could do just see my ENT.

Went back to the ENT about a month and a half ago and she said she’s going to treat me as if I have beginning stages of Cochlear Hydrops. Prescribed me a diuretic and low sodium diet and to come back in a few months to see how I’m doing. To be honestly im not buying into the whole sodium thing because in my case thus far nothing has effected me negatively or positively when it comes to diet or anything else. I can’t find any triggers when it comes to diet, lifestyle, movements, weather etc everything just keeps getting worse. So I decided not to take the diuretic. I’ve also been working with my normal family doctor and up to date with my blood work and everything is perfect. No STD’s no anything like that.

I’ve known about MM for awhile now and known about the JOH regimen for about a year after I came across a video by an older lady named the “Menieres whisper” and I even bought her book where it outlines everything about MM and all the alternative treatment methods. I also talked with her in the phone. I just never acted on it till now because my symptoms are getting so bad particularly the balance.

So For about a month I’ve been on the full JOH regimen, b5/b6, MonoLauren, and I got my family doctor to prescribe me Valtrex 1000mg 3x a day. I’m on my 4th week of the valtrex and was taking the “cadista” brand not Mylan. I just got another 3 week supply and this time it’s “northstar” brand per my request for 15 dollars. I also eat pretty healthy, no caffeine, no candy, try to stay away from processed junk and I do try to watch my sodium intake. I weight 155 lbs and I’m 5’10.

I’ve developed a little bit of an eating disorder because I’m afraid to eat to much sodium or to much of the wrong thing so I don’t eat much only when I have to take my supplements.

Things I’ve also tried in the past year are a full 2 months of upper cervical spinal adjustments which did nothing for me and the adjustments wouldn’t hold. I also did VRT for a little bit but I wasn’t doing the exercises at home as much as a should have and it was also expensive so I stopped going. I’ve tried different diets such as a vegan diet where I didn’t have animal products for 10 months. I’ve tried intermittent fasting, OMAD “one meal a day” and different types of diets to no avail.

Another thing is I also have my top and bottom wisdom teeth on the right side where the bottom one is impacted and I was supposed to get them out a bout a year ago becise the top on is all the way exposed and the bottom on is visible through the gum but is impacted like I said. They don’t really cause me and discomfort though. I got my left side of wisdom teeth taken out in 2013 so I’m sure that has nothing to do with this.

Just the whole way this thing started leads me to believe it’s viral of some type because it wasn’t random and didn’t happened outta knowhere and I did have chicken pox when I was little and also was told I had mono in my teens. I also had ear issues when I was an infant but never got tubes. I can tell you the whole time line as I stated above.

This past couple weeks have been the worst of them all and I feel like I’m getting worse. I don’t know if it’s because I started the JOH regimen, AV’s and other things that I stated and everything is fighting the virus? I really don’t know but I feel so hopeless like I’m not going to get better. Any opinions or if anyone would like to weigh in it would be much appreciated. Much love.

2. Jimii

Jimii Member

Apr 10, 2019
    Well, this may or may not be helpful, but my advice is to find a job with regular hours, and get back on a normal healthy diet.
    I worked third shift once, for about three weeks when I was in my early 20s. It almost killed me.

Jim

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Irishstu

Irishstu Member

Apr 28, 2019
    Nick. My advice would be to stick on the JON regime. I am on it about 3 months now and i am starting to see improvements, less dizziness and less fullness. Some people have to be on it for 4/5 months to feel relief. I would stick on it and see if you get improvements in the next few months. We all want a quick fix but unfortunately this disease requires a long and determined battle to fight off.

4. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    I agree with this. I too have worked night and swing shift. Cochlear hydrops and menieres are failure of the immune system and any stress makes them worse. Nothing is more stressful than lack of sleep and that makes treatment such an uphill battle. You know you have this weak spot. You want to heal not make things worse. It is a bummer to have your job affected but i think in the long run a change to regular hours will make a big difference. Also fast food is notoriously high in sodium and sodium is a culprit in hydrops and also many other serious things like high blood pressure. Put your health first. The rest will follow.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    I know what you mean about sodium, it was never my issue. And in my case diretics didnt help. Still not all contributors manifest themselves within hours so you can see a correlation. What did help me, i had cochlear hydrops, was antivirals and allergy shots which you can read more about in other threads. But whether it is virus, allergy, sleep deprivation, emotional stress, they all impact the immune system for worse and you can help by eliminating any stressor. It makes a concrete difference but it is not an on off switch. It takes a while for things to heal. But i would get on it because CH gets worse and may progress to serious hearing loss, relentless tinnitus and distortion and even classic menieres. Do take care if yourself because the upside possibilities are equally amazingly good. Good luck.

6. Nicksteeleblack

Aug 11, 2019
    Garden Grove, California
    Thanks for the responses I appreciate it. I should have mentioned that I no longer work the over night shift and haven’t for some time now almost a year and Ive been back to working normal hours. I work three 12 hour shifts and have 4 days off so I get plenty of sleep now. I’m thinking working the over night shift, lack of sleep, and horrible diet weaken my immune system like you said and set me up for this. That’s why I’m assuming it’s viral of some type.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Nicksteeleblack

Aug 11, 2019
    Garden Grove, California
    I’m on the full JOH, valtrex 3000mg a day, b5/b6, monolauren for about a month now and im doing a 12 day course of strong probiotics I’m on my 7th day. I’m also going to try and do the high dose vitamin C protocol. All my symptoms are getting worse in regards to my balance. I’m just wondering if this is a common trend like you get worse before you get better?

8. Raider Nation

Raider Nation New Member

Aug 2, 2019
    I got worse before it got better. What helped me the most has been betahistine. You get a prescription from your doc and find a compounding pharmacy. It’s not covered by insurance so you pay out of pocket. Hope this helps you

9. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Mine got worse for 2 days, not for a long time. If you get better, how will you know what helped? If you have side effects, how will you know what is causing them? What if some of those things are helping and some are hurting?

10. Dario

Dario Member

Apr 30, 2019
    Melbourne
    Completely agree. I have been on the Betahistine since being properly diagnosed in February and it really works.

11. Dario

Dario Member

Apr 30, 2019
    Melbourne
    You are really young mate and what a shit thing for you to have to deal with. Get on the Betahistine AKA Serc. In Australia it is readily prescribed on the health care system and works a treat for so many people suffering from this bastard condition. It will take 1-2 weeks before you start feeling the best of it FYI. Good luck mate!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Nicksteeleblack

Aug 11, 2019
    Garden Grove, California
    I’ve thought about that as well but I’m so desperate for relief. Going into the whole JOH regimen I didn’t think I’d have any side effects because they’re just vitamins and there’s supposed to be no real side effects? Same with the B5/B6. I’ve also read that they’re are little to no side effects with AV’s as well so I said screw It I’ll just go all in and see what happens. IF I get relief I can try and cut things out I guess. I don’t know I’m just desperate for relief.

13. Nicksteeleblack

Aug 11, 2019
    Garden Grove, California
    Thanks for the reply guys. Ive been looking into serc as well but i don’t know how many milligrams I should ask my doctor for. How much do you guys take? Does it really help that many people?

14. Saera

Saera Active Member

Jul 5, 2019
    So I’m watching real house wives of Orange County. I have a Bravo TV addiction. I’m slightly ashamed to admit it. But I would venture to guess that you could get into House Ear Clinic in LA and get a consult. It’s hard to diagnose you but I can say that I had a lot of the same issues when I was “hydrops” before I got the bad hearing loss and vertigo. I went from symptoms onset (right after an illness) to vertigo in just over a year. I had the chance for a shunt and jumped at it and went vertigo free for two years until it started up again this past May. Now I did high dose gentamicin injection followed by drops at home for 30 days. Hoping this killed it. If not, I will do the labyrinthectomy l. I’ve tried every other route and this is the last of my rope. Glad you’re here and found support!!

P. S. Why does everyone refer to menieres as MM?

15. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019
    I have occasionally heard Meniere's referred to as Morbus Meniere.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Tony Wilson

Tony Wilson Member

Apr 2, 2019
    I take two 8mg tablets twice a day at morning then at night. I purchased my generic from Canada and it saves a lot of me. Message me for details but its really easy. As far as how helpful it is I do know that it stems the vertigo for the most part but I still have a lot of other symptoms daily. I also am on month 3 of AVs and take a diuretic along with JOH regimen for the last couple of years. I'm working to shake that "off" feeling myself but stay hopeful because without it Menieres can take you down a dark path. We're here for you and there are options to find a new normal. You're on the right path and keep listening closely to your body as you make changes. Be patient and use a journal as well.

17. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
  18. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Re: no side effects from supplements and vitamins? Not true. Anything that has an effect can have a side effect. Personally, I got a fast heart rate (palpitations) from some of JOH.

That being said, focus more on the positive effects you’re looking for. Our mind and body are so linked... go for some good placebo brain power!

• Like Like x 3
  19. Nicksteeleblack

Aug 11, 2019
    Garden Grove, California
    Thanks man I appreciate it. Just sent you a message about the serc.

20. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019
    This is my big concern with supplements, especially that I take a couple of prescriptions for other, unrelated conditions. One of these prescriptions is known to have a lot of interactions with a lot of different things and I was warned about that when I started taking it. There doesn't seem to be much information out there in regards to possible side effects and interactions with Rx drugs. Even the pharmacists don't really have any more information than what is on the Internet, which isn't much. It just seems like too much of a chance to take--to try something that may or may not--and probably won't help--and take a risk of causing myself even more harm. Rx drugs can cause problems too but at least with that I feel like I am making a more informed choice and will be appropriately monitored. With megadoses of vtamins, herbal preparations, and the like, I just don't know...

• Agree Agree x 1