1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Acupressure wrist bands for relief of vertigo?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by DianeD, Jul 28, 2019.

1. DianeD

DianeD Member

Jul 15, 2019
    Has anyone tried acupressure wrist bands with success, or not? I know this sounds goofy, but I have a friend who swears these work for vertigo! He wears them when he feels an attack coming on and he has tried them on a cruise ship when he started to feel seasick. I bought a set and tried them a few nights ago when I was feeling the early warning signs. I was afraid if I went to sleep I would wake up with vertigo. I put them on at 10 p.m. and stayed up till midnight. Felt a little better, so I kept them on and went to sleep. A few hours later, I woke up and took them off, feeling OK, and I was fine in the a.m.! Now, I don't know whether they worked or not, but something warded off that attack. I also just started taking the JOH regimen about 2 weeks ago, so maybe that's kicking in.

I'm feeling a bit "off" right now, and my tinnitus is getting louder, a bad sign, so I just put them on and decided to check in with my new friends in the "Living Room".

I bought the wrist bands on Amazon, "PsiBands" $12.99. They claim "Drug free...for the relief of nausea...most commonly caused by morning sickness, motion sickness, anesthesia, or chemotherapy". My friend bought some similar from REI at $16.99. Worth 100x more if they really work for vertigo!

2. Bonlyn

Bonlyn Active Member

Dec 29, 2017
    New York
    Hi Diane,
    Yes I wear them. For me they don't help in a full vertigo attack, but they seem to help with my balance for daily living. I guess they take the edge off of the chronic dizziness. I was told by one of my doctors it is better not to sleep in them, but to wear them during the day and let your body " reset" itself during sleep.

When I feel a full vertigo attack about to hit I take some cocculus indicus pellets, which seems to take the edge off of the attack. I get the Bonine brand in the homeopathic section of the health food store. But if you have access to a homeopathic doctor they can provide you with a more pure form. Best to you. Bonnie

3. DianeD

DianeD Member

Jul 15, 2019
    Bonnie, I'm glad to hear someone else uses these with some success, at least with the dizzy spells. And I'm glad to have the advice not to wear them to bed. Lately, I can go a week or so feeling not too bad, then a big vertigo attack, then days of dizzy before I feel better again. I'm a few hours into this odd feeling like I have an attack coming on. I was trying to wait it out before taking a meclizine because those don't always help and I wanted to see if these bands really work, but I did take one pill about an hour and a half ago and I still feel like I'm on the edge, hoping I don't fall off! Usually, the attack comes on more quickly, so maybe they do help some. I will definitely look for the homeopathic pellets. I hope to find something that will work for me to stop these awful episodes which seem to be coming on more regularly now. Thank you for your comments.

4. John of Ohio

John of Ohio Active Member

May 17, 2014
    When I was devising my personal Meniere's treatment regimen, my wife bought acupressure wrist bands. I gave them a try. They seemed to lessen moderate levels of vertigo. But, for me, they didn't prove helpful in suppressing any of the severe symptoms of Meniere's attacks. That prompted me to go on to other things, resulting in my regimen.

But for those vulnerable to normal dizziness when on a boat, etc., worth a try.

--John of Ohio

5. DianeD

DianeD Member

Jul 15, 2019
    John of Ohio, thanks for your comments. And thank you for sharing the treatment regimen you devised. I am so happy to have found something I can do to be proactive in fighting off the progression of this disease. I am so grateful to you and this support group.

Yesterday I finally took another Meclizine, chewable, per Saera's earlier suggestion, and by midnight I was able to fall asleep without the usual vomiting sequence, so maybe the wrist bands helped because sometimes even the pills don't help. It's hard to know. I also did the eye exercises I found on-line. I did 3 sets of them periodically throughout the evening as I was basically immobile in a chair with my eyes wanting to spin in my head. This time, I think the eye exercises may have helped, too. Another wasted afternoon/evening but today I feel better, and I don't seem to have the usual lousy feeling I get after a major attack.

I am, thankfully, retired. My heart goes out to all you younger people with jobs, kids, and busy lives who deal with this. And thanks again, John, for your continued interest and support of this group.

6. Bonlyn

Bonlyn Active Member

Dec 29, 2017
    New York
    Diane,
    I seem to have both menieres and migraine associated vertigo (mav) also called vestibular migraines or basilar migraines. I found it very beneficial in reading a book promoted on this forum " Heal Your Headache" By Dr. David Buchholz. You can get it on amazon for $10. It is especially informative in regards to dietary triggers. I also am on the JOH regime and am gluten free.
    Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be one answer for all, so it is a blessing to have this forum to share things that have worked for others, and try to discern what works for you. Though I admit, some days, when my head is off I have too much brain fog to read and discern. ;) Best to you. Bonnie

7. DianeD

DianeD Member

Jul 15, 2019
    Bonnie, I found the book on Amazon and read some in the preview. Fortunately, I don't get migraine headaches, but the book mentions they sometimes happen in your 60's/70's...something else to worry about! It is interesting that so many of the symptoms of migraines overlap with the symptoms of vertigo, and that the triggers are similar, including stress.

I already gave up caffeine and alcohol about a year ago (said goodbye to my favorite red wines and that was sad!). And I really watch the salt in processed foods and I don't use any in cooking except a scant amount in a baked thing when it's called for in a recipe. My husband missed it at first, but he can finally get beyond the craving. He was eating pretzels the other day and actually said, "too much salt"! I still eat gluten, but mostly whole wheat, and probably eat too much cheese and an occasional chocolate, but if any of that is a trigger, it's not immediate, so it's hard to know.

I will take your advice and look for those homeopathic pellets you recommend. It's hard to know what combinations and how much of anything to take, but I continue to experiment. I had 2 major attacks in May that started before I even opened my eyes in the morning! And it was too late--I couldn't keep anything down. Other than those times, I've taken Meclizine, Odansentron for nausea, Lorazapram because someone on this forum talked about it and I happened to have an old expired Rx. I'm glad I kept the old Rx because I think it helped. Also tried ginger tea. And then I tried those wrist bands. I have no idea which of those things are the most helpful. I do know when I start to feel odd, I can kiss the rest of the day goodbye. There's no way to power through it, except I do think those eye exercises help when I can't seem to focus on anything, and when the spin is worse if I close my eyes.

You probably mentioned somewhere, but how long have you been on the JOH regimen? And do you take all the supplements? Some people here have said they feel worse for awhile, then better. You? Thanks again for taking time to respond.

8. Bonlyn

Bonlyn Active Member

Dec 29, 2017
    New York
    Hi Diane,
    First I would continue on the JOH for at least a month before you ditch. I have read on this forum some people saying they got worse before the got better. There are some on this forum that say it is not viral for them but fungal..and DON'T do the JOH.
    I am just turning 52 and get the migraines. It was not until after reading the book I understood that migraines are not necessarily headaches, but can manifest in other ways...such as vertigo and dizziness. The first few years I was diagnosed with menieres I DON'T think I had the vestibular migraines, I may have brought them upon myself by taking too high doses of vitamin b 6.
    I have been on the JOH for 3 years. I felt I got better before I got worse when I began it. I did a few things wrong on it in the beginning....like Not knowing to take lysine an hour before you eat and DON'T take with Olive leaf extract. Since I started taking JOH, when I would get an attack I would just up my lysine, but this last attack was different.
    It happened after I had caught a virus in school ( I am a elementary Library teacher.) I don't generally get school germs, but I got this. For most people the virus manifested in the chest, but mine in the ears. After going through the usual protocols I take after an attack, my balance and vertigo weren't getting better. Unfortunately I had to miss the last month of school, which is not the best. Thankfully I had accumulated a lot of sick days over the years. So as this summer recess has progressed I have been seeing a lot of different doctors...ent, neurologist, homeopathic Dr, endocrinologist, acupuncturist, chiropractor, and opthamologist. I am hopeful I will be ready to go back to school on Aug. 28. I feel the migraine diet has helped a bit. I am hopeful because I DON'T even have an option of an early retirement until I am 55.
    Even if you do not want to get the headache book, there is a blogger who writes about vestibular migraines and references the foods you can and can not eat from the Heal Your Headache book. Living with Vestibular Migraine: Jennifer B. from Migraine Strong on Diet and Working Full Time (Plus Her Favorite Soup Recipe!) - The Dizzy Cook
    I typed in the web address, hope this links when I post.
    Meclizine never worked for me. I was prescribed valium, but regardless of how poorly I feel, I can't bring myself to take it.
    As I am on summer recess and trying to recover from a long term vertigo attack, I have more time to read the blog and make replies. I am not sure anything I post is terribly helpful but I know sometimes the support of the interaction is helpful. As the forum opens up "You are Not alone."
    Best to you. Bonnie

9. DianeD

DianeD Member

Jul 15, 2019
    Bonnie, thank you again. Your posts are definitely helpful, and not just for me, I'm sure! I was getting ready to buy the olive leaf extract, until I read your caution note! And I was waiting only 20 minutes to eat after taking the lysine in the a.m. before breakfast and afternoon before dinner. I didn't know to wait longer. You have given me much more to discuss with my ENT doc the next time I see him. Maybe I am experiencing some form of VM. My MM symptoms got so much worse about 6 months ago and the doc changed the diuretic Rx. It seems to have reduced the tinnitus, but not the fullness and sensitivity which are worse. Then the bad vertigo episodes started 3 months ago after a visit to a friend who doesn't cook, so we were eating in restaurants for 3 days, and then the vertigo started a day later. I thought the problem was salt, but maybe it's something else because I really watch the sodium when I cook. Maybe it is the start of VM. Ugh. Your experience is frightening. The link you posted works just fine and I'll refer to that again, and I will get that book!

You have certainly consulted and worked with an assortment of professionals, and yet it seems like the headache diet is the thing you find to be most helpful. That's interesting. I wish I had some words of wisdom to offer you. I'm sure you are stressed just thinking about your readiness to start the school year. And stress in itself is a trigger. I have started to keep a log of my vertigo episodes and anything to note about them. I'm doing this for discussion with my doc, but a log like this might ease your stress, especially if you start to see a pattern of longer stretches of time between any setbacks. Hopefully, that is what is happening for you and you will have confidence in the next few weeks that you will be able to start anew with your work life.

I am grateful for your support and I will watch for your future posts on this forum. Your time and discussion of your experience is most definitely appreciated. All the best...

• Fistbump/thanks Fistbump/thanks x 1
  10. Bonlyn

Bonlyn Active Member

Dec 29, 2017
    New York
    Hi Diane,

From reading this blog I realize there are those who have it much worse than I. Since I am not of retirement age I am trying as much as I can the natural route before I ultimately may have to do things extreme in which I may totally lose my hearing, etc. But that doesn't mean I haven't taken the prescribed diruetics or had steroid shots to the ear a few times. I did start keeping a vertigo attack and food diary a few months ago, to see if I can discern my triggers.
    Thanks for the thoughtful post. Regardless of how long we have with this disorder, we all come from different places, experiences and doctors...so have the great gift of this blog to share and/ or hopefully come across a post that makes the difference in one's journey with this trial. Blessings to you. Bonnie

11. MelRen

MelRen New Member

Aug 15, 2019
    I am a teacher of 21 years, recently diagnosed with Meniere's and I'm scared. I'm not sure if I can go back to work and I need my career (income, health insurance). I just had gone almost 9 days without an attack, until today.
    I came across the JOH regimen and I am looking to start it soon. I have learned very quickly that one needs to be a strong advocate for themselves with this and how important it is to do whatever one can to stay positive.
    Are you able to work?

12. Saera

Saera Active Member

Jul 5, 2019
    I use a wrist band that helps with nausea and motion sickness but has electrical impulses. It’s called Relief band. Got it on amazon. Does help with attacks but doesn’t stop them. Coupled with meds it has saved me a little I believe. I still use it in stores or cars that make me feel off. Doesn’t hurt so why not!

13. wendy

wendy Member

May 18, 2019
    Welcome to the forum. I wish I had found this forum when I was first diagnosed in 2009 so you are on the right track being here. I think many are able to get back to a work life with Meneires. Can you tell us more about your journey?

14. DianeD

DianeD Member

Jul 15, 2019
    MelRen, have you started on the JOH regimen? I started a few weeks ago, adding one element each week as John of Ohio recommended, except I doubled up when I got to the vitamins. I haven't added the last MSM yet. I had one major vertigo episode after just a week on the Lysine, but it was less severe than others, and one very mild episode a few days after that. Since then, all the general dizziness has disappeared! I have no way of knowing if the improvement is because of the JOH or just the normal ups and downs of this disease, but I can say that I was generally miserable with vertigo for 3 months and now I feel so much better. I still have the fullness in my head and the sensitivity to certain sounds and being in a crowd is a hearing challenge, but I actually think my hearing in my bad ear has improved a bit.

All this started for me 2 years ago with all the hearing issues and one major vertigo but the doc diagnosed me with just cochlear hydrops and put me on a diuretic. I was uncomfortable for the next year and a half, and sorely missed the salt, caffeine and alcohol, but I had no idea it could get so much worse! Then in January this year, the fullness and sensitivity got to an all-time high, and my hearing diminished. The doc prescribed Sudafed for a time, then an antibiotic, then changed the diuretic I'm still on. The roaring tinnitus had diminished after the doc changed the diuretic, which he said was a good sign, but I was having a lot of dizziness which he said was just my body getting used to the new diuretic. Then the vertigo episodes started and that was the beginning of a whole new game! That's when I found this support group.

I'm trying to be patient, as John of Ohio has cautioned, in waiting for more improvement, but just having almost 3 weeks of no vertigo, and little to no dizziness, has made a huge difference in how I feel. I just hope it continues. I say the JOH regimen is worth a try. Why the docs don't talk abut this is a mystery to me. Welcome to the group, MelRen. Let us know how you're doing.

Diane

15. Fisherman42

Fisherman42 Active Member

Sep 5, 2014
    Illinois
    Hello MelRen and welcome! You are correct you are your biggest advocate in this battle, many here have been able to regain or sustain a somewhat normal life. I am one of those I still work and lead a productive life, roller coasters are out but I’m still able to do a lot. I am on antivirals and partial JOH the combination of these two have eliminated the vertigo however the tinnitus has remained. I also take Monolauren as a supplement which I feel helps. I have seasonal allergies which aggravates my MM so I get shots for that. Best advice find a good ENT and OTO that will work with you, give AV’s and JOH a try, do not take no as an answer from anyone, fire any doctor who refuses treatment, read anything you can get your hands on, come here often and ask a ton of questions, and lastly never give up! Good luck, see you around!