1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

My B5+B6 Log

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by imasteeler, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Jacqui

Jacqui Member

Jan 21, 2019
    Athens, Greece
    Maybe try easing yourself into the JOH instead of going full-blast. I am maintaining a remission from symptoms on just the B5/B6 and Vinpocetin, Bioflavinoids and L-Lysine. I cured the tinnitus and hearing loss with magnesium and Pycnogenol and no longer take these. Maybe you just need one or two of the components and it is a great time to test that when you start back on a regime. Water is everything, if I don't drink 2 litres a day my ear sends out a little buzz to remind me! Wishing you well xx

2. recoveringoptimist

recoveringoptimist Member

Aug 10, 2019
    Jacqui, what dose do you take (mg) of Magnesium and Pycnogenol? I just ordered some Pycnogenol to try.

• Like Like x 1
  3. zotjen

zotjen Member

May 12, 2014
    Jacqui, what type of magnesium do you take? I recall others mentioning good results with magnesium but there are several different types.

As far as the B5/B6 thing, I've been taking them for a while now and can't say that there's been any noticeable improvement but I'll stick it out a little longer. One thing about B6 though is that it is also a mild diuretic. For some people, they seem to initially get relief when taking a diuretic but it doesn't last long. I wonder if the same thing is happening with B6.

4. Jacqui

Jacqui Member

Jan 21, 2019
    Athens, Greece
    I took 100mg of Pycnogenol twice daily when my ear was bad, I was interested in it after reading studies that showed results with increased blood flow to the inner ear. (I no longer have tinnitus and my hearing in the affected ear has come back to a level where the loss is hardly noticeable). Lamberts Magnesium 375 once daily in the evening, this is a complex of Mg Hydroxide, Oxide, Citrate & Carbonate. The studies that attracted me to the Magnesium were about noise related hearing loss restoration. I no longer panic about salt, have the occasional half caff coffee and occasional beer or wine. Remission is possible but I did a hell of a lot of work to get here!

• Like Like x 1
  5. recoveringoptimist

recoveringoptimist Member

Aug 10, 2019
    That’s great to hear. I’m looking forward to starting Pycnogenol, and perhaps Magnesium now, too.

6. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019
    I just started magnesium about a week ago. We'll see if that makes a difference.

7. imasteeler

imasteeler Member

May 12, 2014
    Houston
    Thanks all for the well wishes, ideas and suggestions !! I am way past befuddled and confused about what has worked and what hasn't, even with careful record keeping of daily intakes of everything. The only correlations I am able to make are elevated stress levels, and oppressively hot and humid weather.

This is where I am at today with supplements:-

full dose of L-lysine upon waking
    JOH with breakfast along with a Triamterene
    B5/B6 mid-morning, with small snack
    multi vitamins with lunch
    JOH at dinner
    full dose of L-lysine just before bed

I drink about 2 quarts of water a day, throughout the day.

I've tried Magnesium and Pycogenol before - did not notice that they helped, but will indeed re-visit this should conditions not improve.

Giving up caffeine all-together would make me want to just stay in bed... I have cut way back to a small coffee in the morning - maybe 8 oz., then a cappuccino mid-morning on the truck. (This is down from at least 3-4x that before the MM struck...) If I am having a vertigo episode, I do not take any caffeine at all... But I am not especially dizzy this time, thank God.

I watch my salt - some days it is off the rails, most days less than 2,000mg over the course of the day.

The main driver for my symptoms seems to be weather related, stress, and proper rest.

Today I can hear better than I have for 2 weeks. What is different? It rained today for almost 90 minutes... and I slept better last night than I have for a while.

I have 2 steel guitar jobs coming up this weekend - so I am hoping for the very best

Cheers to all !!

JMC

8. teesdale

teesdale Active Member

Oct 24, 2014
    JMC, best of luck to you on your gigs this weekend.

My treatment regimen is similar to yours. I was doing great for 17 months then last October got hit with a bad vertigo episode, followed by a couple of weeks of general disequilibrium. Then I was fine through early spring. I read the B5/B6

9. teesdale

teesdale Active Member

Oct 24, 2014
    Sorry I think I hit the tab key above and it posted mid-sentence. Anyway, after incorporating B5/B6 just as a precautionary measure, I went along fine for a month or two and now I'm back to increased tinnitus, occasional disequilibrium and fullness. I believe it is just coincidental with the start of the B5/B6 but just in case I have cut that from my regimen. One difference from you is that I am on 2000mg of Valacylovir daily.

I thought after taking the antiviral and having 17 months of symptom free living I was free and clear. Now I'm thinking I'm married to Menieres - till death do us part.

10. Irishstu

Irishstu Member

Apr 28, 2019

11. Irishstu

Irishstu Member

Apr 28, 2019
    Hi Jacqui. Just wondering how long you had your symptoms before you went on the pycegenol and magnesium and also how long you were on this regime before you got better? Thanks

12. imasteeler

imasteeler Member

May 12, 2014
    Houston
    Update to the updates...

After returning to full JOH morning and night, and 3x 1,500 MG L-lysine daily, my hearing finally started to come back last Thursday afternoon, and by Saturday evening I could hear well enough to play my 3-hour gig with confidence. It was definitely a vast improvement over my last gig, when I missed two kickoffs completely because I could not hear the drummer counting off the tunes...

Tinnitus is down to 2-3 on the right, and less than 1 on the left. So B5/B6 still doing their job.

But here is the thing that is the most puzzling and perplexing:

I can hear bass more strongly now in my right ear - in fact it is thumping loud in that ear. I had lost the lower range forever (according to ENTs and hearing tests) from the original onset of the MM back in 2008. Highs and midrange are still subdued in this ear.

I can hear midrange and highs better in my left ear - but not so much bass. It is there, but nowhere near as loud as in the right ear.

Between the two, I can hear pretty well. I understand voices and words again, and my steel guitar sounds like it should.

I know if I go and visit the ENT they will confirm this with yet another expensive and frustrating hearing test - but offer no plausible explanation or substantive help.

What did I do differently?

adding back the full JOH regimen is all I changed. Diet, caffeine intake, weather, stress, sleeping habit, working hours - all about the same as they have been all summer long.

In any case - I am delighted to be able to hear the stage volume again. And more than delighted to be playing again this coming weekend...!!!

And hopefully, I will see continued improvement as the week progresses.

All the best,
    JMC

• Like Like x 1
  13. CarolineT

CarolineT New Member

Aug 28, 2019
    Just popping in, my first post, to say thank you OP for logging your journey. Fingers crossed the improvement continues.

I found JOH regime online around 2 years ago, couldnt source the vinpocetine, so stuck with the L-lysine, lemon bio, and ginko with some success. Then I stopped, as I was only getting very occasional vertigo attacks, until last week when I had the mother of all attacks and the first one that saw me vomiting for an hour. Nasty.

So Ive restarted the JOH, hit google again, found this website that I didnt know was here, and also reference to bennyhills b5/b6 regimen. Could anyone link to bennyhills original post on the b5/b6? I can only find cmments, and wasnt clear how much per day is worth trying?

On another tack OP, I play the piano. When my deafness hit, I found the sound of my piano was awfull. Youd be amazed (no you wouldnt, youve got menieres! ) how even notes in the high octaves contain low frequencies, making a very different sound when you lose your low frequency hearing. Anyway, long story short, I got a hearing aid that links to my iphone that I can adjust. My audiologist also came to the house and programmed it whilst I played, which was fantastic as I also get like a blown speaker tinny noise vibration in the high octaves, which drives me mad. (Are musicians just super sensitive to sound variations?) But having the different settings programmed, and the ability to fine tune/volume control etc on my phone, has made the world of difference to my music.

Just wanted to throw that in here, as hoping to have some success back on the JOH but very interested in adding in the vit b aspect, so hugely interested in your journey.
    Hope todays a good day, Caroline from less than sunny Cheshire!

14. teesdale

teesdale Active Member

Oct 24, 2014
    Caroline, someone with more skill than I will probably post the original BennyHill post but the dosage is 125mg B5/100mg B6 once a day with a low salt breakfast. Sounds like you may be from the UK so not sure how available the supplements are there. But in the States it is easy to find the 100mg of B6 but a different story on the 125mg of B5. I did find 250mg tablets of B5 from "Source Naturals" that are quite easy to break in half.

Best of luck to you on this baffling journey.

15. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
  16. CarolineT

CarolineT New Member

Aug 28, 2019
    Thanks for replying guys. Ive only just picked up as I dont get notifications so have just logged in, (its a bad tinny night tonight).

Teesdale, Ive managed to get both the b5 and b6, which seems easily available on amazon, though the B5 is indeed in a 500mg tablet. So Im going to start my new regimen tomorrow (this?!) morning, cutting up a tablet. Its a Lindens Pantothenic Acid which had good reviews and good value for the quantity. £8 for 90 tablets. If I can succesfully cut into 4, thats almost a years supply for £8. Bargain!! But at that price, its not a disaster if I just get 2 doses out of a crumbled mess. Theyre big, so fingers crossed they cut OK, and Ill start a diary and see how we go.

Thanks for posting the link Cheryl, Ill go read in full. Best wishes to everyone, Caroline

17. Megan Henry

Megan Henry Member

Oct 5, 2019

18. Megan Henry

Megan Henry Member

Oct 5, 2019
    How many milligrama of Famvir are/were you taking and what manufacturer? Did you notice you got worse before better? I'm on Famvir, trying to figure out if I'm getting worse because a potential virus is tearing it's ugly head or if I'm just progressively getting worse. The unsteadiness has gotten worse on Famvir. Only been on 1000 mg/day for 1 week this far.

19. Gardengal

Gardengal Member

May 12, 2015
    Megan, Take 1500/day. 3x500mg. Eight hours apart. 1000/day isn’t max dose. Try max for a while.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Megan Henry

Megan Henry Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Gladly. I just contacted North Star directly because no pharmacies in my state contract with them. They representative said they are no longer making Famvir.