1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Curious About Others' Experience With Headphones

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by chewlarue, Aug 21, 2019.

1. chewlarue

chewlarue New Member

Aug 21, 2019
    Hello,

I am curious about other people's experiences with headphones while having Meniere's. Does anyone else ever feel like it makes the tinnitus better or worse? Specifically, I have noise canceling over-the-ear headphones in which I have changed the balance to play sounds only in my good ear.

Sometimes I notice that it helps with painful outside noises that would otherwise bother my bad ear but at the same time makes the tinnitus ring a little more even after I remove the headphones. I am not sure if I am hurting myself in the end here, any other people have experience with this and care to share?

2. Brother_of_Nool

Brother_of_Nool Member

May 24, 2019
    New York
    I went several months without using my earbuds. I started to use them again last week and my tinnitus got worse and the feeling of fullness increased. I stopped using them a few days ago and both issues have gone down. This, unfortunately proves nothing; I had many, many bad days while NOT using them. Trying to pin down cause/effect with Ménière’s is like playing pin the tail on the donkey while being caught in a hurricane.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. chewlarue

chewlarue New Member

Aug 21, 2019
    Yeah I am in the same thought process as you right now. I cannot tell if it's just coincidental or if it really does correlate to worsening/bettering of the condition.

4. Dario

Dario Member

Apr 30, 2019
    Melbourne
    I only get very marginal ringing in my ears when I pop my ear plugs in at night before bed. No other time and not even with music headphones.

5. zotjen

zotjen Member

May 12, 2014
    I still use headphones almost everyday. There are times when I think it affects my tinnitus but a lot of it has to do with the type of music I'm listening to (e.g. bass heavy) as well as the volume. Sometimes when using in ear monitors (IEMs) they do seem to affect it as well so I only use them when it's more convenient. My experience is that it's better to use headphones where the drivers are further away from your ear drums so over-the-ear headphones would be best.

One thing I find interesting though is that although I suffer from distortion in my bad ear, headphones somehow compensate for it. I can put the left cup against my ear and hear distortion but when I have both cups on I hardly notice it. The only time it is more noticeable is when I'm having a bad day or if the music has extreme stereo separation, in which case certain instruments which are primarily in the left channel will sound distorted.

6. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Hey, chewlarue.

The only issue I encounter when wearing headphones occurs when audio is transmitted through either the left or right speaker only *chuckles

When this occurs my tinnitus, aural fullness, & hyperacusis amplify dramatically within five to ten minutes.

This is also the reason why I preference shorter telephone conversations when unable to use my headphones to direct audio to both ears simultaneously (I find speakerphone inconsiderate to she/he you're talking to, hence do not use it), as input into one ear only aggravates my symptoms bilaterally, regardless of the ear receiving the unilateral stimulus.

I wear wireless, noise-cancelling, over-the-ear headphones also, which I've synced to, well just about everything other than my girlfirend, friends, family, colleagues, & my sister's boisterous hound.

True, & when worn in public headphones disincentivise those oblivious to 99% of social cues from stopping you in the street, gym, or store, in attempt to engage the always awkward, painfully forced, elongated & shallow conversation. Win win.

7. Brother_of_Nool

Brother_of_Nool Member

May 24, 2019
    New York
    I reread your post. Are you saying that your bad ear is affected when you have the sound turned off on that side?

8. Brother_of_Nool

Brother_of_Nool Member

May 24, 2019
    New York
    I've been having a good few days (low tinnitus/fullness/distortion/low volume) with my bad ear, so I tried this out. I wore my earbuds in both ears, but only played the sound in my good ear. My ear felt the same afterwards, when usually it feels "fuller" after listening to music.