1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

What to expect?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by JenniferF, Aug 25, 2019.

1. JenniferF

JenniferF New Member

Aug 25, 2019
    Just found out after first meniere’s battle finally gets under control, the “average” meniere’s person will have 7 years of minimal symptoms, before it strikes again. Anyone heard of this or any other “average” lifespan traits before the disease consumes the inner ear?

2. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    JennF. That's sounds about right. Though it varies greatly. I had a rough first 2 years. Then surgeries. So I'm "ok" now, with slight dizziness in evenings, and constant head-movement weirdness.

I try not to think about what you brought up. I've read so many stories here and elsewhere of people having that nice middle period of 7 to 12 to even 20 years. Then whammo! it's back again. I got one of my 2 balance nerves cut, so as long as I don't go bilateral, I think I'll be alright.

You?

3. PleaseNoDizzy

PleaseNoDizzy Active Member

May 12, 2014
    I think the only thing that’s predictable about this disease is that it’s unpredictable. Not very reassuring, I k know. I’m sorry. I’ve been on this board for 8 years, since mine started. Some people report it hits them like a train with no real let-up. Others report glorious periods — years long — between bouts. Others are up and down like a see saw. It’s so hard to make a generalization.

For me — I was super sick for the first year with all the symptoms including a bunch of severe vertigo. Through diet, medications, or just dumb luck, the bad vertigo subsided for about 5 years. I never had a day where I forgot I had MM, as the other symptoms were pretty bad. But I wasn’t in danger of falling over either. Then the vertigo returned on year 7 and I ended up w a labyrinthectomy. I guess that *sort of* fits the pattern you allude to, but my life was still altered in a great way during those 5 non-vertigo years.

4. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    I was under control for about 5-6 years then I got a virus from my toddler and my life was never the same...ha. hate to be sound overly dramatic but it was a game changer. try your best to stay healthy...a weak immune system is an invite for MM to ramp up.

good luck!