1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Weird New Symptom

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Kevinb003, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    So last night I was having dinner with coworkers as we are on a client site out of state. During the middle of dinner, my regular tinnitus, which sounds pretty much like the steady drone you get in an airplane cabin at cruising altitude, changed dramatically. I started getting at least three distinct tones (high pitch, mid-range pitch, the usual pitch--low) and they all became deafeningly loud. At this point, I could no longer understand voices. I could hear that someone was talking for the most part, but I couldn't understand a word anyone was saying. This continued on for the entirety of the evening and I believe it's still an issue (4am and I'm alone so not sure if I can understand voices yet). The tinnitus has gone down in volume some at least.

Has anyone ever experienced this?

It has me a bit unsettled to say the least and I'm thinking if it's still an issue at normal waking time, I'm going to try to get home today to try and see my neuro and forego my client meetings as I'll be absolutely useless and a liability to my team. Any thoughts/experiences greatly appreciated. I'm struggling. Thanks!

2. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    My tinnitus has a variety of tones depending on the surroundings at the time. For instance the louder a room I am in the more intense my tinnitus will be. Having dinner with more than 3 or 4 people in a crowded or loud area is very difficult for me. Loud music and my tinnitus wants to out do the sounds. It's not pleasant and I try to avoid these situations. I don't think you should panic. I am sure others will respond to this thread with similar experiences. You are not alone when it comes to the ups and downs of tinnitus. I hope you have a better day.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Jimii

Jimii Member

Apr 10, 2019
    I have had several instances of the ringing going very high pitched then traveling to my unaffected ear, and going completely deaf in both ears. These instances only occur once or twice a year and last only 10 seconds.

Since the vertigo attacks started I have had the affected ear do the multiple tone thing. Only lasted 20 seconds though. I was looking around for the instrument that was doing it until I realized it was me. These were pure sounding tones like I was getting a hearing test.

Certainly not the same, but strange things do happen.
    Good luck getting home safe.

Jim

4. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Yes, very similar episodes with my cochlear hydrops. Cured by antivirals.

Is this your good ear developing cochlear hydrops?

5. Onedayatatime

Onedayatatime Active Member

Nov 22, 2016
    It's part of the flare-up for me. As pressure builds, the noise in my head grows to the point it overwhelms almost all voices. It also distorts all sound. This is a sign of an imminent vertigo attack for me.

6. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    @June- , yes my only active ear...Laby in the other six years ago. I've been on Acyclovir since January this year (maybe December last) and have had periods of ups and downs with the cochlear hydrops. Last hearing test was 50db in the low frequencies, but this episode was really troublesome in that I couldn't comprehend speech at all. it has improved since the episode, but it has forced me to begin the CI discussion for my dead ear (he left the cochlea intact when he did the laby) in earnest with my neuro next Monday when I'm scheduled to see him. Previously he wouldn't do it because my hearing was too good in that ear and they won't do the CI in that case thinking you won't turn the device on because you can hear with the other ear. I read recently that Med El received FDA approval for implants in patients with single-sided deafness so I'm going to bring him that literature and hope for the best--I really need to communicate for my job and I really need my job to support my family and my degrading hearing isn't helping either of those.

Thanks all for the replies!

Kevin

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    Just a quick update: My neuro is beginning the CI process for me for insurance approval (hopefully). I have a 2-hour session with an audiologist on Aug 26 and I have to go see a psychologist. Not sure what next steps are after that, but the ball is rolling in the right direction at least. A bit nervous and anxious, but I'm pretty sure I need this to continue working in my career. Thanks all for your replies and support! Will update as I progress. Happy to answer any questions for anyone about this process as I go through it. Hope today has been a good day...

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  8. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Good luck! Keep us posted, please.

9. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    Had my hearing test today...Audiologist is onboard with recommending me as a CI candidate. Few more hurdles to negotiate, but hopeful!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Kevin,

Good luck with the CI...hope things go well for you!

Side question...how is your balance after the labby and now issues in ear number 2?

Thanks!

mac

11. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    Thanks, Mac, much appreciated! If this helps, I ride a motorcycle now! Going bilateral to date has only affected my hearing on the previously good side and not the balance--I pray it stays that way.

12. CarolineT

CarolineT New Member

Aug 28, 2019
    Hi OP, Im a new member, just reading through some threads. Found yours. Read “now ride a motorbike” and fell off my chair! Then I see youve had a labyrinthectomy. Wow, what a journey youve been on.

Just on the tinnitus, yes, i can get various levels popping up. Ive had a permanent tinnitus in both ears for over 16 years. Its a high pitched electrical type one. Then as my hearing deteriorated, the low level drone tinnitus started, but only on the side of my worse hearing loss. I too, can get occasional mid range tinnitus. Theres no rhyme or reason to it. The later aquired mid/low droning tinny, does indeed fluctuate. Im not convinced it fluctuates with my fluctuating hearing, or even ear fullness, it just seems to be really loud for a few days, then almost disappears for a few days, then pops back to a background drone. The high pitch, never changes.

But good luck with your CI journey, Caroline.

13. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    Thank you, Caroline! I have tinnitus in my laby ear all the time in a high pitch. My hypothesis is that that's the last tone I lost as the hearing in that ear deteriorated. I have varying tinnitus in my other ear, which is going bad. On good days, I don't have/notice it, but, oh boy, on bad days it's unbearable--so unpredictable.

BTW, got a thumbs up from the psychologist tonight as a CI candidate, so I'm getting closer!

Thanks for all the support, everyone!

• Like Like x 1
  14. CarolineT

CarolineT New Member

Aug 28, 2019
    Thats really good news! Keep us posted .

I dont get notifications that theres been a thread reply, so have to remember to pop in to check, hence the delay picking up. Also, its 3am here, and you cant beat a bad nights tinny and headaches for prompting you to check your admin But great news,

Im UK not US, is this a private health procedure Kevin? Its not something (I dont think) available to us here on the NHS, but as my hearing deteriorates, Id be really interested to know how successfull this is for you. Have a good week Caroline

• Like Like x 1
  15. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    @CarolineT, I don't claim to know much about your system in the UK, but I do have private insurance here in the US and as I understand it, the procedure also is covered by the federal system (Medicare) here.

Hope your symptoms improve!

Kevin

16. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    Getting closer...1 more test to go and that's the VNG (insert collective groan) I've been told my max out of pocket not covered by insurance will be $800 USD so its looking more and more like this will happen!

• Like Like x 1
  17. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Kevin, do you notice the bad tinnitus correlates with big meals? While sodium did not seem to affect anything else, it did make the tinnitus in my deaf ear much louder. I call it the Thanksgiving effect. It was also sometimes aggravated by a noisy environment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    @June- , its hard to say. I've actually noticed it getting worse in my deaf ear after eating, but as like everything else with this disease, its inconsistent.

• Like Like x 1