1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Hernia surgery coming up. Told to stop all supplements.

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Brother_of_Nool, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Brother_of_Nool

Brother_of_Nool Member

May 24, 2019
    New York
    When I gave them my list of Ménière's supplements (JOH, Magnesium, B5 & B6), I had expected to be told to stop taking the Ginko and the Vitamin E. Instead, I was told to stop taking EVERYTHING. Is this really necessary? I was seeing some improvement and don't want to backslide with the Ménière's. Of course, I don't want to die on the operating table because I kept on taking vitamin C, either.

2. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    It'll be a good forced experiment for you. If you are the same without the supplements, then you don't have to take them anymore.

(Full disclosure: I'm not a doctor. I'm a silver doll.)

• Like Like x 1
  3. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019
    I think that stopping all vitamins, supplements, etc. prior to a surgery is pretty standard. My husband had several surgeries over the past several years--and was was told to discontinue all supplements for a number of days prior, I don't remember exactly how long.

4. Brother_of_Nool

Brother_of_Nool Member

May 24, 2019
    New York
    A week before the surgery. I didn't think to ask about after. I have to revisit my GP before the surgery; I'll ask him for clarification.

I was thinking that, but I want to keep on taking the supplements for awhile longer in addition to the AV medicine. I feel that the combo of the Lysine and the Acyclovir really helped me.

5. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    You do not want anything that can thin your blood in your system before surgery, trust me. They probably dont know all the effects of all the supplements because they are not tested the way other drugs are. So, do you feel lucky?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Brother_of_Nool

Brother_of_Nool Member

May 24, 2019
    New York
    I don't. I will stop all supplements.