1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Bilateral menieres with nerve section

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Peter rabbit, Nov 23, 2018.

1. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019
    When the Meniere's went to my second ear, it was much, much worse than onset in the first ear--and has continued to be much more problematic than the first ear has been.

2. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    I have only one hearing and balance nerve and it has cochlear hydrops. Anti virals and allergy treatment restored it to near normal hearing function and stopped the progression of balance issues in it. I do have ch/mm in the other ear as well so technically i am bilateral but since that nerve was destroyed years ago it does not matter and cannot be measured. Except for unilateral deafness and walking a little like a drunk when i am tired you would not now know i have a problem. I owe my normal functioning to anti virals.

3. Peter rabbit

Peter rabbit Member

Nov 23, 2018
    Well George it's definitely been some journey with this meniers disease. I just recently medically retired from law enforcement after 15 years. So I'm no longer worried about hiding it from the sheriff and his constitutes.....if you get what I'm saying. My left ear is just recently going back to it's fluctuating stage and tinnitus is worsening again....after many months of no issues or dormancy. My right ear has not shown any problems since December of 2019 but still fluctuating tinnitus. I've stopped the diuretic.....I think that whole salt thing is not the issue at all. I'm thankful that I don't have no more vertigo associated with this because of my vsn surgery. So that's it in a nutshell. I really pray for your safety working in law enforcement. I do believe that the vsn is your best bet to try to keep working but you are bi lateral so the medical staff will treat you with steroids. Hit me back, be safe.

4. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Christ, I totally did not need to know that.

5. Autumninthefall

Autumninthefall Active Member

Aug 10, 2019
    Pup, I know for a FACT there is no reason to be concerned. My doc told me, "don't worry, nobody goes bilateral, but if you do, the second ear is almost never as bad as the first." Say What? For some reason I tend to remember that doctors have, "practices" when things like this are spoken.

Even the best doctor in the world can't tell anyone what specific treatment, in what specific order, will "cure" anyone, as we are all different, nobody knows the exact cause(s) of their menieres(for a fact, usually just very good suspicions), and there is no cure, just alleviation of symptoms, if you're lucky. Many of us have demonstrated that different cause(s) and treatments deserve more research. ::I'll just listen to the frogs croaking while I wait for all of those grants to fall out of the sky for comprehensive menieres research into causes/treatments::

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019
    Just trying to point out that the "experts"--and I use that term very loosely--cannot predict what will happen with this condition; they can only make an educated guess. This condition is so variable from person to person, i don't think that anyone can predict for sure what course it will take in a given individual. Also keep in mind that because one person had a given experience doesn't mean that you will have the same experience.
    This is just too variable for anyone to know or predict.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    I dont know if this is correct but it seems to me that antivirals might have more success with the second ear because it would be recognized early and they could be taken early. At least i sure would try them at the first hint of the second ear going bad.