1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Further aggravation and confusion...

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by imasteeler, Sep 11, 2019.

1. imasteeler

imasteeler Member

May 12, 2014
    Houston
    Hearing has been going in and out over the summer, ranging from clear with full range of tones and comprehension to what I call full-on CHS (can't hear s***) with tinnitus at 10+ in both ears.

On average, 2-3 days out of 10 I can hear crystal clear - both ears. 7-8 days out of 10 I am struggling.

Exacerbating the situation since May, I have a constant hum at A just above middle C in the back left of my head which is always there - sometimes louder than the tinnitus and sometimes barely there... This morning it woke me up it was so loud.

So... my primary care physician is stumped. My ENT wants to do a hearing test... as usual.

I am at a point now where I don't believe I have Meniere's Disease at all. I may have had it 10 years ago - but I was not supposed to be regaining any frequency response at all - according to the experts. That turned out to be incorrect. I am 11 years in now, and some days I can hear every frequency with clarity.

I don't change my behavior much between these episodes - I watch my sodium and drink lots of water... Try to get enough rest, etc. etc.

Not asking for help, per se - just venting!

2. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Cochlear hydrops?

3. Bonlyn

Bonlyn Active Member

Dec 29, 2017
    New York
    That seems similar to what happens to me. I thought I was going bilateral when both ears started being affected. But hearing level was erratic . Doctor said it was MAV- migraine associated vertigo, which is common to get for many menieres sufferers. Not sure if you ever considered that angle.
    Hot, humid and stormy weather can trigger attacks, so the summer can be difficult for a mav sufferer. Certain seemingly healthy foods trigger too...citrus, onions, etc.
    You do not have to have a headache to have a vestibular migraine.
    Hope you can find the answers and remedy you need soon. - Bonnie

4. Clare

Clare Active Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Meniere's is characterized by fluctuating hearing loss, notably starting in the lower frequencies rather than the higher frequencies that are typical with loss due to age. I had lots of significant fluctuation in my hearing -- good phases and bad ones. For me, stress was the predominant trigger, along with sodium in the diet. Eventually there were more bad days than good as my hearing slipped down the charts. Tinnitus fluctuated too, but I found it lessened shortly after surgery to where it is now a constant quiet high pitch that I hardly think about. Life is pretty good now, and I hope the same for you.

5. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014

Citrus and onions spell migraine for me.

6. imasteeler

imasteeler Member

May 12, 2014
    Houston
    Thanks, everyone for your support...

This week my hearing has gradually come back to where it is almost normal again - with some elevated tinnitus in the original MM ear, but virtually none in the left. The A tone decreased to a D, then went back to an A. So that's weird - not unpleasant necessarily - but weird... And it is always there.

Have brought up the idea of MAV with my primary care physician. I believe it may be a good course of action to follow up on - I am studying some of the online writeups now.

Stress seems to be the principal driver for me - once that sets in I start losing my concentration on nutrition, diet, rest, water, etc.

But when I can hear, I am happy and productive and I do not have the time or energy to go sit in the waiting rooms... ENT, primary care, or otherwise.

Today was my best day yet since early June. So hopefully, this oppressive heat and humidity with dissipate and I can get on with life as I now know it...

More good days to come, I am sure - along with some not so good. And so it goes...

Cheers to all - and Fight On!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1