1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Low white blood count

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Brother_of_Nool, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Brother_of_Nool

Brother_of_Nool Member

May 24, 2019
    New York
    I received my blood test result from my yearly physical. Never paid attention to it before, just went to the bottom to the summary to see if all was well. I noticed that the only thing that failed was my white blood cell count. It’s low, and lower than it’s ever been - despite all the supplements I’ve been taking the past several months (the Vitamin C should have been helping increase them). Is anyone aware of their WBC count? If so, is it normal?

2. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    I think that is something to address with your doctor. Be sure to tell him all the supplements you are taking and symptoms you are having.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. stevensroser

stevensroser New Member

Sep 13, 2019
    You should contact to the doctor. They will tell you the best suggestion.

4. Brother_of_Nool

Brother_of_Nool Member

May 24, 2019
    New York
    I did speak to my doctor. He said that it was fine. I thought that it might have been a common thread of Ménière’s sufferers. At any rate, I’m working on raising my count with the hope that it may help with the Ménière’s.

5. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Low white blood cell count may be induced by viral infection, immune/autoimmune disorder or immunodeficiency. The latter category—or abnormal immune response more broadly—is often hypothesised as the underlying cause of Ménière's disease.

Granting the above, have you employed, or considered the use of antivirals?

Either you need to see another doctor, or you're reading your results incorrectly. I presume the former more likely.

6. Brother_of_Nool

Brother_of_Nool Member

May 24, 2019
    New York
    I’ve been on Acyclovir for two months. I’ve also started eating foods that are said to raise white blood cell counts. I had another blood test that shows a higher white blood cell count. I usually donate blood a few times a year, but I think that I’ll take a break from it.

7. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Nice.

A higher count found between 4,000 & 11,000μl?

If so, & if I were you, I would arrange another WBC, or CBC test. Or two, over a 14 day period, so to obtain an accurate reading. Doing so will provide orientation, allowing the recognition of either a problem, or a pseudo-problem.

I hope you're feeling better soon, Brother of Nool.

8. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    While your own doctor is your best resource, if you want specific thoughts here you might want to give more complete and specific info.

9. Brother_of_Nool

Brother_of_Nool Member

May 24, 2019
    New York
    Thanks. It’s slightly below 4000 at this time, but over the past few years it’s been several hundred points lower. I never paid attention to my results in the past; I would just skim through it until I got to the summary to see if there were any problems. I’ll follow up with my doctor.