1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Alternating between olive leaf extract and lysine

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Brother_of_Nool, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Brother_of_Nool

Brother_of_Nool Member

May 24, 2019
    New York
    I’ve been on JOH for several months now. I added olive leaf extract at one time, but was thankfully warned that it may cancel out the effects of the lysine. Since then, I’ve read that the olive leaf may help in ways that the lysine can’t. I’m thinking of alternating between the two. If I were to do this, are there any opinions on what the frequency should be? Should I rotate by the day, week or month? Or is it a dumb idea?

2. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Is what you are doing now working?

3. Bonlyn

Bonlyn Active Member

Dec 29, 2017
    New York
    Hi B of N,

I am going to message you a reply. Bonnie

4. Bonlyn

Bonlyn Active Member

Dec 29, 2017
    New York
    You might be able to take both together. Recently a member posted that JOH said it was ok. Not sure how often John looks at the forum, but maybe he can confirm on your thread if the two can work together.

5. Brother_of_Nool

Brother_of_Nool Member

May 24, 2019
    New York
    I’d say no. It hasn’t been six months yet, but I haven’t seen any real improvement. I do have short periods of clarity, but no more than I had before JOH

6. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Have you tried prescription antivirals such as acyclovir ?

7. Brother_of_Nool

Brother_of_Nool Member

May 24, 2019
    New York
    Yes. In fact, I just returned from getting my third refill. If I was seeing some slow-but-steady improvement, I'd wouldn't be looking at the other options mentioned on the site. It's just driving me nuts that I have 29 bad days, a good day or two, then back to 29 bad days. It's been said that it's the hope that kills you. It probably sounds overdramatic, but that phrase rings so true to me now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Have you ruled out migraine? Is it one ear o r two? Do you have both vertigo and hearing loss? Have you considered surgery? There are other approaches besides supplements.

9. Brother_of_Nool

Brother_of_Nool Member

May 24, 2019
    New York
    I know. My issues are mainly hearing related. My plan is to try out various things before I return to an ENT. I wasn't thrilled with what happened when I went, and if my experiences weren't echoed in so many of the posts that I read here, I'd probably still be going. At this time I want to see what can be done without an ENT.

10. Bonlyn

Bonlyn Active Member

Dec 29, 2017
    New York
    JonBubo,

Just wondering what dose of Olive Leaf Extract did you start out with and end up with. I read somewhere to start out with 25 mg then move up until you get to 180 mg divided by 3 doses taken throughout the day? Does that seem correct? How often do you increase dosage....weekly?

Is it ok to take the ole capsules? I read the liquid gets in the blood system better, but I would rather take the capsules.

It seems you have put much thought and research into this, so thanks for sharing. Bonnie

11. Brother_of_Nool

Brother_of_Nool Member

May 24, 2019
    New York
    Yes, thanks for responding, I'd also like to know where you started with the OLE and where you stopped before tapering down. And your maintenance dose of Lysine is 3g a day? That's all I've been taking. Where did you max out on the Lysine?

12. Brother_of_Nool

Brother_of_Nool Member

May 24, 2019
    New York
    Thanks. Maybe I’ll go up to 4g of Lysine. The olive leaf extract pills that I bought are 750mg milligram at 20% oleuropein. I guess that’s a substantial amount; not exactly a gentle ramp up. I can’t split the pills, so I’ll just do one a day.