1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Low Dose Gentamcin

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Mac, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    I was how much of a shot is considered low dose gentamicin.

Basically...exactly how much fluid do they put into your ear?

Thanks!
    Mac

2. Michael68DC

Michael68DC New Member

Sep 28, 2018
    Washington, DC
    This isn't the full answer but to start the conversation, I don't know if the dose is determined by the quantity of fluid, the concentration, or both. I had 3 injections and because I had no hearing left on that side (so protecting the hearing was not an issue) I asked them to use the strongest concentration (40% I was told), so I believe that would be regarded as a high dose. The doctor applied it multiple times, I believe to increase the chances that it was reaching the right area. My suspicion is that a low dose would be considered a low concentration (so as to be less likely to harm the hearing), especially if they still need to use the same amount of fluid to similarly increase the chances that it is reaching the right place.

3. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    From (google) Supplementary information regarding trans/Intra tympanic gentamicin (dr. Hain).

2 cc of 40 mg/cc is in the vial/syringe. The area they inject into may only accommodate 0.5 cc of fluid.

4. wendy

wendy Member

May 18, 2019
    Michael. I am curious to know if the vestibular rehab worked for you? Your laby was cancelled because of a clotting issue. Are your symptoms improved?

5. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Thanks everybody.

I have read low dose is between 20 and 40...so your answers are right in line.

Mike - how did the gentamicin work for you? I have profound unilateral hearing loss and chronic disequilibrium (the worst!) so I figured it cant hurt to try.

6. teesdale

teesdale Active Member

Oct 24, 2014
    Mac, good luck with the procedure if you decide to go through with it.

Can I ask what other treatments you have tried? I've had the beast for 30 years and thought I had it under control with antivirals. Lately though I am experiencing the chronic disequilibrium like I have never experienced before. I'm thinking gentamicin may be in my future but I'd hate to lose all the hearing in that ear.

7. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Teesdale,

I'm 12 years in.

all medications possible
    JOH
    anti virals
    steroid shots (around 8-10)
    shunt surgery
    chiro
    acupuncture
    clinical trials

my hearing is about 75-85db loss across the board in one ear. 20-40% word recognition.

Figure I try this before I eliminate the ear all together and move on.

8. teesdale

teesdale Active Member

Oct 24, 2014
    Thanks, Mac. With the excetion of the surgery and clinical trials, my list of treatments is identical. I'm scheduled for another hearing test in a few weeks but with the tinnitus ringing like a fire engine bell, not sure how I'll hear anything. The earbuds test indicates that my hearing is like crap in the affected ear. Just not sure where the line is for sacrificing all hearing in hope of killing the balance issue.

Best of luck.

9. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    I recently had 2 shots of the low dose, and my hearing tests about the same as before the shots. Sometimes I feel like it’s actually hearing the hearing aid beeps as louder, though I don’t think there’s any improvement (nor worsening) of hearing real world sounds.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. teesdale

teesdale Active Member

Oct 24, 2014
    Thanks, Anne. Were the 2 shots of low dose effective?

11. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Yes!! Hallelujah. No attacks since my first shot June 5. I wish I’d done it 4 years ago.

• Like Like x 2