1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Is there a climate you find to be better or worse?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by recoveringoptimist, Sep 29, 2019.

1. recoveringoptimist

recoveringoptimist Member

Aug 10, 2019
    Do any of you notice particularly cold or hot weather triggers your symptoms more? I am nervous about our frigid Minnesota winters as this is the first one I’ll experience since the onset of Meniere’s.

2. Rich

Rich Member

Apr 21, 2019
    West Virginia
    I personally do better in cool weather.

3. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    The hot humid weather can affect my ears. Cold dry weather has never been a problem. However when a storm is approaching I can always tell by the pressure in my head and tinnitus.

4. BobNY

BobNY New Member

Sep 27, 2019
    When i get an attack or feel like it might happen, the cold is better for me. I sometimes go outside in the winter just to feel the cold air to feel better. Hot weather is impossible to be outside in the sun, it just brings it on. My all year, high barometric pressure is the worst regardless of temp.

5. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    I do better west of the Mississippi and at high elevations. I lived my life in the humid east at lower elevations and i think the west has different allergens (not mine) and the elevation is probably a pressure thing. Hit humid and low is most problematic.

6. Rebecca

Rebecca Member

Jan 19, 2019
    I have been experiencing much more pressure in my ear, with jaw pain, neck pain, inner ear discomfort, and a weird feeling in my head with worse balance that I am attributing to the storms that are coming through. We are having rain storms the past few days, and I haven't felt well, at all. Might be exasperated by stress due to husband being very ill, and a lot of worry. I've had Menierer's for over 19 years. Was in a semi-remission period for several years until this past January. Since then, storms seem to make things worse, and before that, I didn't notice a difference in symptoms with storms.

7. Rebecca

Rebecca Member

Jan 19, 2019
    For those of you who experience symptoms being worse during storms, is this how I can expect to feel all winter? Or, will my body adjust to the difference in air pressure after a time? I use to love Fall. But, this Fall has been the pits. I live next to Calif./Oregon border with the Siskiyou Mountains to the North and the Marble Mountains to the South West. So, winter is long.

8. Bonlyn

Bonlyn Active Member

Dec 29, 2017
    New York
    REBECCA, I am so sorry about your husband. It is difficult enough to deal with the stress of menieres and then have your husband's illness. I hope it is something he can overcome soon.

Stress is probably the biggest problems in all of this, but it is impossible to control life.

Recovering Optimist,

I have been terribly affected by the change in weather since May....rain storms, humidity, heat.

Doctor says it is more from my MAV, then menieres....but I don't know anymore. Just so debilitating and discouraging.

I seem to do better in the cold weather. Is it because some unknown allergen is frozen and less problematic, or just drier humidity?

But hopeful the cold weather lowers your triggers.

And in Minnesota you are closer to the Mayo Clinic. That sounds promising.

9. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Personally, stress is more apt to stir up my symptoms than the weather. Try to find a way to lower your stress level. Meditation, yoga, a long walk might help.

10. Rebecca

Rebecca Member

Jan 19, 2019

11. Rebecca

Rebecca Member

Jan 19, 2019
    Thank you for the encouragement Bonlyn. I'm hoping he will recover and that the stress level will ease. I am not in Mn. I am in Calif., so Mayo Clinic isn't an option.

12. Rebecca

Rebecca Member

Jan 19, 2019
    I wonder, some times if I have MAV along with MM. I mentioned it to my ENT but he didn't think so. My son was diagnosed with MM about a year ago, then the doc decided he didn't have MM. That he has MAV. Is there a medication you take for MAV?

13. Rebecca

Rebecca Member

Jan 19, 2019
    Thanks, Redwing. I do try to de-stress as much as I can. After 19 years of this stuff, I know for sure that stress does not help. At all.

• Fistbump/thanks Fistbump/thanks x 1
  14. Onedayatatime

Onedayatatime Active Member

Nov 22, 2016
    I find the best climate is fishing on a lake or river. Especially effective numerous area in the North Woods and the White river in AR. I'm sure there are others. Seriously, I find that distraction helps keep me from wallowing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Rich

Rich Member

Apr 21, 2019
    West Virginia
    My mm may be different than some on here but I've had menieres for over 15 years, have had all the the symptoms and more vertigo than I care to to think about but I can honestly say I have never had any kind of pain from it. No headaches, neck pain ,jaw pain or ear pain. Am I strange? Even when I got diagnosed with it by the ent he never indicated any pain with Menieres as a symptom .

16. Onedayatatime

Onedayatatime Active Member

Nov 22, 2016
    I am being investigated/treated for MAV. I have never had serious headaches. The thing about Migraine function is that it manifests itself in different ways depending on the nerves affected. MAV pulls the vertigo trigger.

17. Rebecca

Rebecca Member

Jan 19, 2019
    Has anyone here heard of or tried the Meniett device? Here is a part of an article.

One innovation in the treatment of Ménière disease is the Meniett device. [34, 35, 36, 37] Its use is not precisely a medical treatment, and the device itself does not require surgical installation. It does, however, require insertion of a tympanostomy tube so that the device can work; therefore, its use may qualify as a surgical treatment.

The Meniett device delivers pulses of pressure to the inner ear via the tympanostomy tube. Although no one knows exactly why this approach works, some patients have symptomatic relief when the device is used on a daily basis

Also, I've read a little about perilymph fistulas, which sounds like there are similar symptoms as Menierer's. Anyone have experience with this?

18. Bonlyn

Bonlyn Active Member

Dec 29, 2017
    New York
    Hi Rebecca,

In regards to your question about MAV, the first recommendation would be for a person to go on the MAV diet, eliminate trigger foods...and if that doesn't work there are some hardcore hit or miss drugs. There is a book by David Buchholz, titled Heal Your Headache that explains a lot. You can get it off of Amazon. Also you can find the diet online. There is one blogger, the dizzy cook that has the diet posted under her links.

Sorry to hear your son has MAV.

Also you should start a new thread for your Meniett question. It will get lost under the climate thread and you won't t get as many hits.

I have heard of it, but haven't tried it. It would be interesting to hear what people say. Best you. Bonnie

19. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019
    I am very much affected by weather but what affects me are drastic changes in temperature, particularly if the temperatures change drastically from cool to hot. I am also affected by humidity and changes in the barometric pressure. If temperatures are stable it doesn't seem to make much of a difference if the weather is cool or hot.
    I can feel pressure in my head when it's getting ready to rain, but once the rain starts the pressure lessens or goes away. It's so weird, but then weather affects my bad joints as well.

20. Bulldogs

Bulldogs Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Good Question.....I took a long weekend and went out to Arizona with the chief to see one of her college friends and I must admit my ears felt great. I attribute it to NO HUMIDITY.

With that said I always feel better in the winter with cooler temps and low humidity than I do in the summer months down south with the hot weather and humidity, But I enjoy the summer because the kids are home and we love to wakeboard and water ski at the lake and go to the beach but if I had my ideal climate it would be in a place like Maine or Montana and I would vacation in the south during the winter months.